Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

The use of COVER plants

Go down 
+2
Corey
RattleSnake
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RattleSnake

RattleSnake

The use of COVER plants Empty
PostSubject: The use of COVER plants   The use of COVER plants EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 2:03 am

I had stated in another topic here about using cover plants in food plots to let a perennial mix get established. For those of us with farming backgrounds, most of us have been around planting oats or other grain crops that are harvested and then alfalfa comes up after. The problem with that for us that run food plots is that we either don't have the time or resources to do things this way.
I had started using buckwheat as a cover plant 2 years ago to allow my new perennial stands a chance to get going. It continues to work very well for me, and I thought I'd post some of the pics here for examples. The buckwheat is also an excellent food source until it heads out completely or that's what it seems like to me as the deer seem to leave it alone once the flowers get heavy. What I have found though is that with using buckwheat, the time it heads out, the perennial mix underneath is already well on it's way, and buckwheat isn't as thick as things like oats so it can simply be mowed off with a brush hog to let the perennial then take over. I'll also be posting the trail cam pics from the camera's first 2 weeks of run time on the plot in the deer photos section.

Pics of the Buckwheat....about 2.5 feet tall.
The use of COVER plants 100_0533

The use of COVER plants 100_0534

Maxi-Rack G-Force Perennial Blend underneath...
The use of COVER plants 100_0535

The use of COVER plants 100_0536
Back to top Go down
Corey

Corey

PostSubject: Re: The use of COVER plants   The use of COVER plants EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 3:02 am

Great info RattleSnake. It looks like you are well on your way to a very successful plot.
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: The use of COVER plants   The use of COVER plants EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 8:16 am

That plot looks awesome.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: The use of COVER plants   The use of COVER plants EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 10:02 am

Thats a good looking plot right there, good work bud
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

PostSubject: Re: The use of COVER plants   The use of COVER plants EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 10:22 pm

That looks like it works very well. I'll have to try it out. Thanks for the heads up...
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: The use of COVER plants   The use of COVER plants EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 10:51 pm

Very nice You should have some great action on that plot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The use of COVER plants   The use of COVER plants Empty

Back to top Go down

The use of COVER plants
Page 1 of 1