Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

hunting the wind

Go down 
+8
mathewsguy
Big Sexy
Joe
Robert
volway
Corey
Jody
whitetail fanatic
12 posters
AuthorMessage
whitetail fanatic

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 10:12 pm

i know that hunting the right wind is the way to go these days, but what if you only have two stands and basically one way in and out to both of them???
if the wind is "bad" am i just supposed to not hunt?? i may miss out on a deer if i hunt a swirling wind but i will definately miss out if i dont hunt.

what kind of advice do you folks have for me???

Whitetail Fanatic
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 10:35 pm

Go in early, come out late. Move slowly as not to make very much sound. Try to be undetected. I have a similar situation for one of the places I hunt. I would never not hunt this location either so I hear what you are saying. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.
Back to top Go down
Corey

Corey

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 11:58 pm

I have heard some of the most reputable hunters say dont hunt it at all until the wind is right because it only takes one time to spook the big boy and you might not see him again. I did hear one guy talk about it in a siminar and he specifically said that even if you only have one stand to hunt DO NOT hunt it if the wind is wrong. That being said those guys prolly have stands to hunt for all wind directions. My thoughts on it are that IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, you dont want to do it. Um I did a quick search and found a couple articles on this subject so you can give these a read and see these guys thoughts.

at the bottom of the page
http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/grounds/BOWP_0610_RIT/

http://growthehunt.typepad.com/grow_the_hunt/2008/09/hunting-the-win.html
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 12:21 am

I wouldn't hunt it,Like Corey said "It only takes 1 time for that big boy to get educated of your presents" BUT if you must hunt it,STALK in EARLY and STALK out LATE!!! We are lucky enough to have different farms,So if i plan to hunt a set and the wind is "wrong" I will move to another set or to another farm,I don't care how many times "THE BIG ONE" has been seen on cam in front of the stand,If the winds not right.I WILL NOT HUNT IT. Just my opinion.Good luck to ALL
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 6:47 am

Bottom line for me is I find a way. Even if I have to go in early.
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 8:00 am

If the wind is wrong I don't hunt it. I feel there is a difference by spooking deer by making sound going to your stand in the morning and him not seeing you but smelling you. If he smells you then not only is it over that day but maybe even the whole season.

I had this same probelm a few years back. I only had one or 2 stands. They were in good areas but I knew the wind was wrong, so I didn't hunt those stands that day. This year I went ahead and bought extra stands and have different set ups for different winds.

Last edited by Joe on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Big Sexy

Big Sexy

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 8:53 am

You will never kill MR. BIG I nelive if you are careless and hunt a stand when the wind is wrong. If it is one of my favorit honey holes, I will hang two different stands in the same location if possible to allow me to hunt two different winds. As people have already said, it only takes one time and you may never see him again.. I won't take that chance.
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 9:56 am

...but if you are not aggressive, you may never kill him either!
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 10:33 am

Its a tuff call on this. If you only have one stand to hunt maybe make a few ground blinds that way you cans et up for different winds. Thats what I do and now I have a groundblind to set up for just those things.
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 1:37 pm

I normally hunt with a climber, so I am pretty adaptive to the wind. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you have the big boy patterned, why would you waste the time to hunt it when the wind is wrong and risk blowing everything up. If you are not very sure of his pattern, then I think the risk is minimal, becuase even if he does scent you, you didn't really have him patterened to begin with and have to figure it out all over again anyways...
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Try harder to find a couple other places to hunt. I believe you will ruin a set if you hunt the wrong wind to many times, but then again i have seen some guys smoke some nice bucks that come in from down wind and they aren't very scent conscience. Me personally tend not to be to aggressive when hunting deer and wouldn't do it unless it's a spot like we have that doesn't have a perfect wind because they come from all directions and the wind allways swirls. For stands that they come in from one direction, I wouldn't do it.
Back to top Go down
whitetail fanatic

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 4:50 pm

Camoed Assassin wrote:
Try harder to find a couple other places to hunt. I believe you will ruin a set if you hunt the wrong wind to many times, but then again i have seen some guys smoke some nice bucks that come in from down wind and they aren't very scent conscience. Me personally tend not to be to aggressive when hunting deer and wouldn't do it unless it's a spot like we have that doesn't have a perfect wind because they come from all directions and the wind allways swirls. For stands that they come in from one direction, I wouldn't do it.

This is the case with my sets, or set rather... I have literally had deer and other wild life come from all different directions in the same day, and same morning... I do have pics of three different mature bucks at this spot but do not have them patterned. So if they are coming from different directions then its not such an issue because i dont really know where they are gonna come from..??
And so maybe i should have one stand at one end of this little plot and maybe a ground blind at the other??? something like that?
Thanks for the response!!!
Back to top Go down
Darius

Darius

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 6:03 pm

Robert wrote:
Bottom line for me is I find a way. Even if I have to go in early.
X2
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Just like Camoed Assassin said we have a set that the wind is wrong 9 out of 10 times. So what we try to do is set a couple of different sets in the same general area, so we can still hunt that area. We have one area that we have three different sets all no more than 50 yards apart. This way we can move a little if the wind changes. Also be religious with the scent elimination. You may only have one oppurtunity at the big one and if he can't smell you until he is with in bow range then you win. But just remember as everybody else has said it only takes one time to educate him.
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 10:18 pm

See I like that Guide. If he is cruising a particular area why not hunt it is all I am saying. Having multiple sets for various conditions sounds like a must now.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Jody wrote:
See I like that Guide. If he is cruising a particular area why not hunt it is all I am saying. Having multiple sets for various conditions sounds like a must now.
The Guide has a good mentor lol!
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 9:38 am

Camoed Assassin wrote:
Jody wrote:
The Guide has a good mentor lol!

Yeah. Who's farm are you hunting? I have been hunting that area for over 10yrs. I know what them deer are doing. If you need proff just look at the wall CA.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 11:48 am

You know what they say about blind hogs TG.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

hunting the wind Empty
PostSubject: Re: hunting the wind   hunting the wind Empty

Back to top Go down

hunting the wind
Page 1 of 1