Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

what to do??

Go down 
+5
Joe
TheRomer
mathewsguy
Dave
whitetail fanatic
9 posters
AuthorMessage
whitetail fanatic

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: what to do??   what to do?? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:51 pm

ok. so here is my delima.
i have a stand on the south side of a small food plot where i have pics and encounters with some good bucks. i put another stand 4 or5 hundred yards to the southeast from there.
so my immediate question is. should i put another little stand on the north side of that plot? it would start out as my main bow stand with about a thirty yard shot from my plot as well as a feeder i have out. i also am wondering if i should put my ground blind a several hundred yards to the northeast from there overlooking a wooded draw. now all of the stand would within about around several hundred yards from each other. in between two bedding areas in the middle of a select cut pine field full of browse and my food plot and a couple of feeders in there too.
would this be too much pressure in this area? the reason i am thinking of this set up is because it has proven to be holding maybe five or six good bucks.
again too much pressure???
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 1:18 pm

I'd say go for setting up another stand as long as you won't disturb them too much while getting it set up. Try to get it hung nice and high and in a tree where you will have a good backdrop to help break up your silolette. The more stand you have around your plot the better chance you have to play the wind each time you hunt and adjust where you set up as their travel patters change troughout the season. Just my opinion. I'm not the smartest hunter be any means... Good luck to you and let us know how it works out for you.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 10:00 pm

I would put some other stands up cant hurt to have them for the winds
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 10:13 pm

I would also have to agree with the above
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 8:45 am

Same here...
Back to top Go down
whitetail pcs

whitetail pcs

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Go for it....then you can swap it up on different days!
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 1:05 pm

Dave is dead on the money. As long as you get in and out with out busty to many deer it should not hurt any thing. Just remember try to always hunt with the right wind. You may only have one chance at one of those good bucks.
Back to top Go down
ron

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 1:33 pm

I AGREE WITH THE REST. PUT UP ANOTHER STAND. EVEN IF YOU SPOOK A BUCK OR TWO. THE RUT WILL BE YOUR FRIEND, FOOD PLUS DOES EQUALS SUCCESS. GOOD HUNTING
Back to top Go down
whitetail fanatic

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:44 pm

so i went in today and pulled my camera card and got lots of doe pics. no bucks!?! three weeks ago got four different bucks but none this time. wonder why?? thanks for the tips and keep it coming.
but no bucks??? like i think ron said food and does will bring them in.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Nothing wrong with lots of doe pics other than the buck to doe ratio may be skewed a bit. Keep does in the area and the bucks will be there in the rut !
Back to top Go down
whitetail fanatic

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 7:15 pm

well get this. i joined this club cause its close to home and inexpensive. these guys dont do hardly any management at all. they wont work with the wildlife dept. cause they dont want to have to change stuff up.
while there are some good deer if you get deep enough in the woods. we got cull a bunch of cull bucks and a one doe limit.
so these guys would rather limit out on the first bucks they see rather than let some walk and harvest some does.
i would say the ratio is about 4does to one buck.
no land management or game management. it does frustrate me but like i said its close to home and works in the budget.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Are you a QDMA member? In most of their magazines the have articles of success stories with clubs just like yours. They preach patience with the old school cats that have been hunting for the first buck they see. I had the same thing going on with my uncles and cousins. After a few ( 3- 4 ) years of talking about QDMA beliefs ( not preaching or pushing ) they decided to try letting little ones walk and hammering does. After 3 years of little to no buck harvests and hammering does we started to see a rut again and 2 nice bucks for that area were havested. Then I stopped hunting in Va with them alot and some of them fell back into thier old ways again but for the most part it is still alot better than it was. Remember just talk about it to them for awhile, dont try to push to much, because if you push and they try it and don't see results the first year you may never get them to practice good management. Good luck .
Back to top Go down
whitetail fanatic

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 8:52 pm

thanks big guy. thats a good idea. and i will probabaly outlast these old guys
anyway. so i will give that a shot.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 9:18 pm

If your not a QDMA member I would look into joining. Thier magazine is awesome, very informative on plots, timber/land management, deer/hunter management, all kinds of things. I read every mag from front to back as soon as I get it. The organization is top notch to. We had an issue with a proposed management plan one of the National parks arround were proposing and I emailed them and Kip Adams contacted me on several ocassions and assisted us with emails to the park service with alternate plans and so fourth. It sounds like you could benefit a little from some of the info they offer. If you back some of your statements with science and proof some of the old school fellows might come around. It worked for me. I would find some good articles and stories and bring them to camp with me and show them. One article in particular was one on spikes not allways being spikes. It showed shed antlers from a penned raised deer, not fed anything but its natural habitat, for several years. While it never reached GIANT status it did sport a respectfull 8 point rack its 3rd and 4th year. it was a missconception of theres that spikes needed to be taken out. Stuff like that helped me change a couple of my family members thinking, it might help with your situation to. Not a sermon, just a thought. Sorry so long winded.
Back to top Go down
whitetail fanatic

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 11:59 pm

i do visit thier website often. i dont mind long winded. you can tell from most of
my posts that i drag things out a bit. i will however ask the boss if i can join qdma. i do completely believe in the "movement" that is quality management of
land, wildlife and hunters too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

what to do?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do??   what to do?? Empty

Back to top Go down

what to do??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Whitetail Affliction :: Buck Fever :: All About the Whitetails-
Jump to: