Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Found 3 scrapes today

Go down 
+6
Camoed Assassin
oregonzach
mathewsguy
Joe
bonehunters
twodog
10 posters
AuthorMessage
twodog

twodog

Found 3 scrapes today Empty
PostSubject: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:16 pm

I found 3 scrapes about an hour ago, fresh, been worked today. I have never seen scrapes this early in Indiana. Anybody else seeing the same thing?
Back to top Go down
bonehunters

bonehunters

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Ya I have seen a few and yes I think it's a little early to, but goes to show you when you think you have them figured they do something that makes you scratch your head, Thats why I love hunting. BH
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:37 pm

I found one last time back at my hunting area as well.

Deer use scrapes year round not just during the pre-rut and the rut. During those two times of the season they do become easier to find because there are more of them to be found. However, some "social" scrapes can be found year round.
Back to top Go down
twodog

twodog

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Joe wrote:
I found one last time back at my hunting area as well.

Deer use scrapes year round not just during the pre-rut and the rut. During those two times of the season they do become easier to find because there are more of them to be found. However, some "social" scrapes can be found year round.

I have never heard that before. I have to say it makes sense though. I know a couple years ago out shed hunting, I saw a fresh scrape at the end of Febuary.

The ones I found today were within 10 yards of each other, and in a spot where a scrape has "shown up" the last 3 years in a row but closer to november. There were also at least a dozen rubs within 100 yard area, 3 of them were as big as my leg. Hard to believe I am not hunting there tomorrow, but the other side of the property on White River is where I will be having breakfast with a 170 class buck in the morning. I HOPE been watching the same buck 3 years.
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:30 pm

twodog wrote:
I will be having breakfast with a 170 class buck in the morning. I HOPE been watching the same buck 3 years.

Now that sounds like a great way to start the day if you ask me! Keep us up to date on that hunt.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:31 pm

good luck getting him
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 6:33 pm

Good luck tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 10:31 pm

We saw a few small scrapes on some field edges the other day also.
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 12:11 am

Seen a couple
Back to top Go down
Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 1:30 am

You will typically find those early scrapes under primary licking branches. A number of deer may use these throughout the year. I have a camera on one I found two weeks ago on my new property. The licking branch looked like it had several years worth of use on it and it was right in the middle of a heavily used pinch point. These are great spots to set a camera and get a good inventory of what you have.

You hear people from time to time saying that early scrapes are made by dominant bucks, but I dont really buy in to that theory. It doesnt seem to be the nature of a big old mature buck. I think these early scrapes are more than likely to be done by smaller less dominate bucks. Regardless of the owner, I have found that these early scrapes tend to be worked throughout the season rather than a hit and run that you see later on.

Just my $.02
Back to top Go down
twodog

twodog

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 10:22 pm

Well he didnt show today. Was a great hunt though. Back at it in the morning. I did talk to a guy that hunts the neighboring farm and he saw the big boy within couple hundred yards of my stand two weeks ago.

I like all the info on here, love learning new things about scrapes and all. Makes alot of sense what you guys have said.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 10:26 pm

twodog wrote:
Well he didnt show today. Was a great hunt though. Back at it in the morning. I did talk to a guy that hunts the neighboring farm and he saw the big boy within couple hundred yards of my stand two weeks ago.

I like all the info on here, love learning new things about scrapes and all. Makes alot of sense what you guys have said.

We are glad you are apart of the site.... make sure you share it with your friends. Good luck getting that monster.
Back to top Go down
kyhareraiser

kyhareraiser

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 10:42 am

found a scrape here too,it was 18" or so arround and had the doe prints in the middle. i thought it was a little early too for scrapes mbut sounds like it's goin' arround.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 10:57 am

I have not been out in a week or so. Need to get my camera today so maybe I will look around a little and see what I can find.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Found 3 scrapes today   Found 3 scrapes today Empty

Back to top Go down

Found 3 scrapes today
Page 1 of 1