Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Share | 

needin everyones help with this

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kyhareraiser

PostSubject: needin everyones help with this   Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:45 pm

have a farmer and his son willing to foot the bill on food plots put on their farm to hold deer and since i already hunt their i figure it's a good time to build some good deer heards in the area by having fresh greens to eat.. their field are cleared and they have fescue 31 as grass for the field.i know thats a tuff grass to take out so it won't take back over..so y'all see what i'm gonna do ,what kind of advice can everyone give me on how to clear the grass ,turn under ,doze off??? what to plant ,thing's that you have tried and they liked ,does soybeans do good ..stuff like that answered would sure help me out. any answers will be greatly appreciated because you might help me build a mege buck..oh yeah'''''
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: needin everyones help with this   Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:59 pm

Im not good with this kind of stuff. im sure youll get some good advise from some other folks on here.

that is cool the farmer is willing to help out with the food plots
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: needin everyones help with this   Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:07 pm

Having grass in the fields now is going to suck if it has been like that for awhile. If the ground has a lot of old grass and weed seed laying in the ground they are going to pop up like crazy once tilled up. We had the same kind of situation here and we had a huge weed problem. From what I have heard it would be wise to plant some beans or corn for the first couple of years. They sprout quick and can over take alot of weeds and choke them out. Also you can get them in round up ready blends to further help in the weed control. I'm sure there are several other ways to combat them but it sounds like the cheapest and most fail safe way that I have heard. I believe this is what we are going to do in a couple of plots we haven't been able to control the weeds in next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Guide

PostSubject: Re: needin everyones help with this   Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:53 am

Camoed Assassin wrote:
Having grass in the fields now is going to suck if it has been like that for awhile. If the ground has a lot of old grass and weed seed laying in the ground they are going to pop up like crazy once tilled up. We had the same kind of situation here and we had a huge weed problem. From what I have heard it would be wise to plant some beans or corn for the first couple of years. They sprout quick and can over take alot of weeds and choke them out. Also you can get them in round up ready blends to further help in the weed control. I'm sure there are several other ways to combat them but it sounds like the cheapest and most fail safe way that I have heard. I believe this is what we are going to do in a couple of plots we haven't been able to control the weeds in next year.

I agree with CA. It is cool that he is willing to pay for everything. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
volway

PostSubject: Re: needin everyones help with this   Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:40 am

You may want to give Todd @ Antler King a call or e-mail him,He's a great guy to work with and he will walk you through every step.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joe

PostSubject: Re: needin everyones help with this   Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:51 am

Hopefully Jeremy will see this. He will be able to help you out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: needin everyones help with this   Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:10 pm

That is rare.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dg1

PostSubject: Re: needin everyones help with this   Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:19 pm

I try to put all of my new plots in soybeans the first year if I can. I have found that to be the easiest way to control weeds in a new plot. I would wait till the grass is actively growing (after green up) and spray with a heavy dose of roundup, if you are going to use herbicides, like 2 quarts per acre. I would plant my RR (roundup ready) beans wait till weeds start to come back and then spray with roundup again. After that your beans should be big enough to shade out any returning grasses. With minimal maintenance you should have a great food plot established.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitetail fanatic

PostSubject: Re: needin everyones help with this   Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:00 pm

This is great. all you guys on here, with one goal.
To help the sport and the people in it. i have learned tons by asking questions of my own as well as reading other posts. Thanks!
What if you were to dozer the spot clear, then when the weeds begin to come up, spray with round up then till under and plant your beans???
Then, would it be benificial at all to make brush rows at fields edge for rabbit, dove, and other smaller animal habitat?
Brush rows with the stuff you dozer off to the edge...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dg1

PostSubject: Re: needin everyones help with this   Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:02 am

You could do it that way just be careful you don't clear all of your topsoil away. Most beans are round up ready so you could clear then disc then plant then come back and spray when weeds start to come up. You may not even have to spray if your beans grow well. Every time you disc you are going to regenerate new weeds so if planting beans I would just disc once and plant then spray if needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: needin everyones help with this   

Back to top Go down

needin everyones help with this
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Whitetail Affliction :: Buck Fever :: Deer and Land Management-
Jump to: