Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Late season archery tips

Go down 
+5
Joe
Camoed Assassin
The Guide
Dave
MOOSE
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MOOSE

MOOSE

Late season archery tips Empty
PostSubject: Late season archery tips   Late season archery tips EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 8:33 pm

For all of you late season archery hunters out there, what are some of your tips. This will only be my second year of hunting the late season with my stick and string.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Late season archery tips   Late season archery tips EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Tip one:
Dress Warm...
In all seriousness, make sure you wear a good wicking base layers and then dress in several layers as well. You can't stay out very long if your cold. I also recomend packing in as much as possible so that you dont get overheated and sweaty hiking in to your stand.

Tip two:
Shoot a few practice shots with everything you will be wearing while on the stand. You might find out that your anchor point might not feel the same with a thick bulky face mask on as it did when you shot it during the early season. Your release might feel different as well with thicker gloves on. Drawing your bow might seem different as well when your all suited up.

Tip three:
Stay out as long as you can on morning hunts. Deer will be moving throughout the morning and miday. Getting up to stay warm and search for food.

Tip Four:
Hunt the food sources... Deer will be hitting them hard, trying to take in as much as they can to make it through the winter. Try to pinch them off on their way to and from the them.

Tip Five:
Get out there after a good snow and use it to your advantage. Scouting around a little bit after fresh snowfall can be very beneficial. You may find a new trail that the deer are using that you never would have noticed otherwise. The snow really shows you how they travel and the direction of their travel. Use this to your advantage for your next hunts.

Hope my tips helped a little. I know their are many more and that these are just a few of the basics. I guess the last thing I will say is use extra caution when getting in and out of your stand. Ice and snow make steps/sticks and stands slick and your muscles wont perform like normal after sitting in the cold for hours. Also your you will be wearing heavier bulky boots and you might not have normal feeling in your hands. PLEASE STAY SAFE and be EXTRA CAREFUL druuring your accents and deccents. Don't forget your harness as well. (I put mine on at the truck and then put my jackets on over it). GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

PostSubject: Re: Late season archery tips   Late season archery tips EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 9:20 pm

I think Dave hit the nail on the head. I agree 100% with everything he has stated. The only thing I might add is deer tend to use south facing hillsides when the weather gets cold. Depending on where you hunt this may or may not be possible. Like Dave said good luck and stay safe out there.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Late season archery tips   Late season archery tips EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Dave said it all. Have fun, stay warm and good luck.
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Late season archery tips   Late season archery tips EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 10:13 pm

Main thing is to hunt food sources. Late season hunting with a bow can be really tough. Deer have been blasted at all gun season and now they are really spooky. Get in early, stay late.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Late season archery tips   Late season archery tips EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Dave said it all.
only thing i could add is that i use a arm guard to pull tight my coat sleeve so my string dont hit it when shooting
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

PostSubject: Re: Late season archery tips   Late season archery tips EmptyThu Dec 10, 2009 1:20 am

FOOD FOOD FOOD!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Adam

Adam

PostSubject: Re: Late season archery tips   Late season archery tips EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 12:53 pm

TheRomer wrote:
Dave said it all.
only thing i could add is that i use a arm guard to pull tight my coat sleeve so my string dont hit it when shooting

Along these lines, I like to wear a tight vest over all my coat so my string does not hit it. It's a different ball game late season.

Dave hit it on the head with his tips. I would Say Mid Day and evening hunts have been more productive for me after gun seasons. It's all about the food now.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: Late season archery tips   Late season archery tips EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Food plots. After the rut they will be lookin to faten up for the winter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Late season archery tips   Late season archery tips Empty

Back to top Go down

Late season archery tips
Page 1 of 1