Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

THROW and GROW

Go down 
+5
30pointbuck
Snivs
Camoed Assassin
Dave
Muzzymad
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Muzzymad

Muzzymad

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Planning on putting in some small plots in wooded areas. Anyone ever use Evolved Throw and Grow. Any tips on getting it to grow. Open for all suggestions. Basketball" GO KENTUCKY"
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Re: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Not framiliar with it at all.... Looking forward to hearing about it.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Re: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 6:29 pm

I used some sort of trow n go but not quite sure what brand. It came up but didn't get hit hard for what I could tell.
Back to top Go down
Snivs

Snivs

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Re: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 7:03 pm

Keep us posted with what ever you decide to use. I am interested in hearing about your experience with it and how it reacts in your region.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Re: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 7:27 pm

I haven't used it but keep us updated on it.
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Re: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:17 am

I used that stuff a few years ago. Not sure about using is as just "throw and grow" as I disc up the plot. The rye and clover grew great but the brassica's fell a little short in my opinion.

If your looking at Evolve I treally liked the Shotplot they have. That stuff grew 2' on average with a few shoots hitting 5'. The turnips were huge.
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Re: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:12 am

My limited knowledge on this is that it can take a while for the deer to get on it. Plus if there is a preferred food source near by then they'll be even slower to come to it. I talked with one food plot company last year and they said it can take two years for the deer to get on it. He said that like in humans they have to get use to the taste of a new food source. He also said that you should only use throw and grow if you can't put in a traditional food plot. I've hunting on some before and it's hit and miss. It can work if you are patient and do it right.
Back to top Go down
Blazin

Blazin

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Re: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:25 am

I started my first plot 2 years ago with Whitetail institute's No-plow, it grew real good but no big draw to the deer as far as I saw. Last year I tried Biologic Hot Spot in a small patch and it started to come in real good, then the deer absolutely mowed it before it had a chance! From what I've seen it's a trial and error thing what's gonna work for you. Good luck plantin! Cool
Back to top Go down
Muzzymad

Muzzymad

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 5:42 pm

The area I want to plant is bordering private property, which is posted as a deer sanctuary. There are feeders on the property and deer hunting is prohibited there. Last year was the first time I hunted this section, although I've looked it over before. Surprisingly I found it to be a funnel area and a major travel corriador between the two properties. I saw two nice buck in this spot, but couldn't get a shot at either one. I'm hoping with the deer traveling through there on a regular basis the food plot will work. I just hope it won't be a nighttime feeding area. Time will tell. Basketball "GO KENTUCKY"
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Re: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:48 pm

Sounds like you got a good plan...
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Re: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:01 pm

keep us updated how things are going with it
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Re: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:41 am

If you plan on hunting over it and are just going to rake up the leaves to give it a try then it I'd recommend planting it about 60 days before first frost. Some would even say 45 but I like giving it a little more time. I wouldn't be suprised if the deer don't start hitting it hard at 45 days. If you plant in the spring the rye and clover may still be left in the fall but the brassica's will be long gone.
Back to top Go down
Muzzymad

Muzzymad

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Getting Ready to Plant   THROW  and   GROW EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Checked out my honey hole today. Alot of fresh deer sign left after the snow melted. Figure on statring the food plot around the first of April. Hope the weather cooperates. Basketball "GO KENTUCKY"
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Re: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:54 pm

Good luck with it man. There should be plenty of moisture in the ground for it, as much rain and snow that we have recieved this winter. Keep us posted
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

THROW  and   GROW Empty
PostSubject: Re: THROW and GROW   THROW  and   GROW Empty

Back to top Go down

THROW and GROW
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Whitetail Affliction :: Buck Fever :: Deer and Land Management-
Jump to: