Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Got my first bird...

Go down 
+12
Mrs Volway
oregonzach
LawCoBowhunter
huntquest
JackHammer
mathewsguy
Mark
30pointbuck
TheRomer
Snivs
Camoed Assassin
Dave
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave

Dave

Got my first bird... Empty
PostSubject: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 9:27 pm

Well, I have been a deer hunter my whole life but got into turkey hunting a couple years ago after hearing about it from my good hunting buddy Jackhammer. My first two years were unsuccessful. I kept hearing from people what a rush turkey hunting was, but never really caught the bug myself.

That all changed this weekend. My friend Mark was kind enough to let me and three of my friends go up to his property in Northern Indiana. He has a beautiful piece of land. We arrived Thursday evening and got our camo on and headed to the woods. We saw a few birds and heard some goobles. Nothing came in range for any of us that evening.

Friday morning Jack and I went out and set up on the edge of a large field while Matt and Justin set up in another pinch of woods in a blind. Nothing for either of us that morning. That afternoon we all shot bow and filled up one of the trucks with firewood to take a load back to Mark. In the evening Jack and I went out again. Jack and I decided to set up at the base of a large ridge near a swamp. I had seen birds roost at the top of the ridge Thursday, so I knew they came from where we set up. We got our decoys out and then on my way back to the treee we were going to sit against, I saw a long Y shaped branch laying there. I thought to myself, that looks like a good shooting stick, so I broke it down in size so it was about a 3 foot shooting stick and tied it to my gun barrel. It was probably pretty funny looking, but it turned out to do the trick. Jack was set up on the left side of the tree and I was on the right. He hit the mouth call a few times and the waiting game began. About 45 minutes into the hunt I caught movement. Jack said my face was priceless as I slowly turned around and told him, "We got turkeys." We watched them for a few minutes. I could tell there were two of them there, and that the one was a male, but the other one was staying in the brush. Jack and I wispered that we would both shoot on 3 if they were both in the open (and both Toms) and I knew that I would take the one on the right. Well the one on the left, never came out of the brush and I kept telling Jack to shoot the one on the right. He kept saying "I can't hear you" and I was like "shoot", "take him", "shoot Jack". Finally the bird which had not seen our decoys yet turned back to walk off and I heard Jack tell me to "Take him". I quickly got the bead on his neck and let my gun shatter the silence. The bird flopped over and I felt great. I said a prayer of thankfulness to God for the opportunity he allowed me to have. I finally got my first turkey and I was super glad that Jack was there to call the bird in for me. He did a great job knowing when to call and when to sit tight. He has taught me a lot about turkey hunting since I really only knew what I had read (which was not much). Thanks for your help Jack.

I also want to again thank Mark who made the hunt for the 4 of us possible. He has an awesome property and "Man Camp" (pole barn with beds). There are lots of great pictures inside of the building and lots of other racks, mounts, and other outdoor trinkets. Mark lost his father in a horrible accident on the land a couple of years ago and although I never met him, I know from the stories I have heard about him and the pictures I have seen that he was a great hunter and a man that loved his family friends and the outdoors. I know that he would have been proud of the turkey I shot.

Here are a few pics. He is not the biggest by any means but I am still very happy with him. I would not trade the experience for a larger turkey that I would have shot by myself.

Got my first bird... 2010Turkey2

Got my first bird... 2010Turkey-1

Sorry the post is so long... My wife said you all would be doing this after reading it Sleep
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Congrats Dave on the first of many. Way to get it done Man!
Back to top Go down
Snivs

Snivs

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 9:48 pm

Congrats. Great bird and I can still remember the feeling from my first bird. Great Job! cheers
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 10:10 pm

That Is awesome Dave, you made my day when i got the text from ya

Why to go Buddy on your first bird,and a good looking bird at that cheers
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 10:13 pm

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Way to go Dave. Congrats.
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 10:53 pm

NICE Dave......Congrats

good work

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 8:11 am

congrats buddy nothing wrong with that bitd great story
Back to top Go down
JackHammer

JackHammer

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 9:17 am

Can't say it enough.. Congrats Dave!! I am very proud of you! I think this was a awsome trip for the four of us to fellowship together. We have learned so much from each other. From being Christ-like, to being great Friends. We have so many memories and can't wait to keep adding to them.. HOW IS YOUR EAR? I can't believe you did'nt tell that part of the story. Another post - another time!! Anyway, Thank you for eveything you have done!

This Trip was definately for Ed! (Mark's Dad)
Back to top Go down
huntquest

huntquest

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 10:11 am

Congrats Dave!
Back to top Go down
LawCoBowhunter

LawCoBowhunter

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 5:25 pm

Congrats on a very nice bird!
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Here is the four of us that went on the trip. (From left to right it is Justin, Matt, Me, and Jack)...

Got my first bird... Turkey4ofus

And 1 more pic of the turkey...

Got my first bird... Turkeywoodpile
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 9:59 am

Awesome bird and great story dave! That fan is going to look great in your place, it will add something new hanging next to all of your big buck trophies! Congrats man!
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 10:10 am

oregonzach wrote:
Awesome bird and great story dave! That fan is going to look great in your place, it will add something new hanging next to all of your big buck trophies! Congrats man!

Thanks Zach, but Big Buck Trophies? scratch I think you have me confused with someone else...
Back to top Go down
Mrs Volway

Mrs Volway

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 10:44 am

Congrats Dave on a great bird! So, are you hooked????
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:22 am

Mrs Volway wrote:
Congrats Dave on a great bird! So, are you hooked????

Yes mam!
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:45 am

Congrats on your first bird! Cool
Back to top Go down
Darius

Darius

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Congrats Dave. Its a blast. Great story. Glad to see you nail one
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Congrats on the great bird Dave
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Hey congrats dave on a good bird.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Thanks again guys...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got my first bird...   Got my first bird... Empty

Back to top Go down

Got my first bird...
Page 1 of 1