Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Best Terrain Feature

Go down 
+10
cropdustersteve
LawCoBowhunter
30pointbuck
The Guide
wacker
mathewsguy
volway
Dave
oregonzach
TRR
14 posters
AuthorMessage
TRR

Best Terrain Feature Empty
PostSubject: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptyMon May 10, 2010 7:14 pm

When your looking for a spot to hang a stand which terrain feature seems to work best for you.

I like narrow ridge tops preferably with steep deep washes on both sides. Something I can sit to either side and shoot across with my bow. I believe my scent rises in the morning with the thermals and will follow the wash down the ridge away from me in the evening.
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Same here! A narrow ridge with a well worn trail along it is where my #1 stands are. Also natural bridges across bigger creeks have produced for me, as well as strips of woods or wooded creek bottoms that connect feeding and bedding areas. Its all about travel corridors!
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptyMon May 10, 2010 9:57 pm

oregonzach wrote:
Same here! A narrow ridge with a well worn trail along it is where my #1 stands are. Also natural bridges across bigger creeks have produced for me, as well as strips of woods or wooded creek bottoms that connect feeding and bedding areas. Its all about travel corridors!

I hear ya Zach...
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptyMon May 10, 2010 10:17 pm

I will stick with my wood lots that are surrounded by crops,during the early bow season it's hard to beat setting over the edge of a bean field,I will hang a stand that works for EVERY wind direction around most of our crop fields.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptyTue May 11, 2010 7:42 am

I like hunting pinch points and also like Steve said I love hunting over foodplots its alot of fun. Oak ridges are always good as well as small apple spots in the middle of the woods
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptyTue May 11, 2010 9:40 am

We have a lot of timbered mountains here and it can get thick so I try to cover the most ground in a tree looking down a ridge to one side and across a flat on the other. I tend to like seeing farther than I can shoot.

With a rifle when the leaves are gone glassing across a steep valley while covering as much as you can on your side has been good but be prepared as you may end up with a long shot. My best rifle stand is up high in a tree covering as much of a brushy creek bottom as possible.

Fooplots and crops are awesome but with them it's not as much the terrain as scouting results and wind direction.
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptyTue May 11, 2010 5:04 pm

volway wrote:
I will stick with my wood lots that are surrounded by crops,during the early bow season it's hard to beat setting over the edge of a bean field,I will hang a stand that works for EVERY wind direction around most of our crop fields.

Same here but I also love natural funnels.
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptyTue May 11, 2010 6:28 pm

The Guide wrote:
volway wrote:

I really love funnels that lead to the crop fields!!
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptyTue May 11, 2010 11:35 pm

volway wrote:
The Guide wrote:
volway wrote:

I really love funnels that lead to the crop fields!!

X2 Same here.
Back to top Go down
LawCoBowhunter

LawCoBowhunter

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptyWed May 12, 2010 7:06 am

I like saddles and inside corners.Creek bottoms are also good.
Back to top Go down
cropdustersteve

cropdustersteve

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptyTue May 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Oak flats, bottle necks, creek bottoms, swamps, scrape lines,............well, I guess everywhere. Very Happy
During the rut it would have to be a good scrape line or a good well used doe trail. Do everything I can to attract and hold does to the same trails year after year. Magically the bucks start showing in November.
Back to top Go down
buckbuster217

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 12:35 pm

I would say mine are saddles and funnels.
Back to top Go down
Bowhunter83

Bowhunter83

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Secluded corner of a crop field. Or a transition point between fields in some timber
Back to top Go down
Justintohunting

Justintohunting

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 5:12 pm

love the hunt the flat spot in the middle of a ridge side, think they call this a bench
Back to top Go down
Indiana_buck_buster

Indiana_buck_buster

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 6:26 pm

It all depends for me. Archery season I like to hunt the between the food source and bedding areas. When it comes to the rut I try to find the thick secluded areas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Terrain Feature   Best Terrain Feature Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Terrain Feature
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Whitetail Affliction :: Buck Fever :: All About the Whitetails-
Jump to: