Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Warning on a certain kind of plot

Go down 
+7
wacker
30pointbuck
mathewsguy
Camoed Assassin
Snivs
Dave
Robert
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Robert

Robert

Warning on a certain kind of plot Empty
PostSubject: Warning on a certain kind of plot   Warning on a certain kind of plot EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 3:41 pm

Got this in an email and thought it was important enough to share

***IMPORTANT ALERT!***
BE AWARE OF BRASSICA TOXICITY-ANEMIA!
In recent years, brassicas (forage turnips, rape, kale, cabbage and fodder radishes) have become popular, cheap forage plantings for white-tailed deer food plots. Although brassicas have been used for grazing, allowing animals such as white-tailed deer to consume large quantities can be dangerous. These plants often contain large quantities of the alkaloids, glucosenolates, thioglucosides and SMCO (S-methylcysteine suphoxide), polioencephalomalacia syndrome, bloat, embryonic death, poor conception, reduced birth weights, tongue extension, excess salivation, acute respiratory distress resulting in sudden death, blindness and diarrhea. Glucosinolate concentrations of as little as 0.4% by dry weight is considered to be toxic. Studies have reported concentrations as high or higher than those found in leaves and stems. The toxic dose of SMCO is 15 grams per 100 kilograms (fatal anemia) and 10 grams per 100 kilograms (low grade anemia). Concentrations of these chemicals are reported to increase immediately after a drought and frost conditions. The potential for poisoning is decreased if animals are encouraged to eat other forages or by using rotation grazing; both practices not practical with whitetails, since they tend to graze brassicas heavily during winter. If you use brassicas in your food plot program, you should take care to limit acreage and combine with other plants less toxic to ruminants.

For more information, Google SMCO, brassica toxicity, brassica anemia
For information by the only food plot seed company that has never told you to plant brassica!
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Warning on a certain kind of plot   Warning on a certain kind of plot EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Robert wrote:
alkaloids, glucosenolates, thioglucosides and SMCO (S-methylcysteine suphoxide), polioencephalomalacia syndrome,

I went to college but still have no clue what those words mean scratch --- but I can tell that it can't be good.

Thanks for the info Robert.
Back to top Go down
Snivs

Snivs

PostSubject: Re: Warning on a certain kind of plot   Warning on a certain kind of plot EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 5:30 pm

Thanks Robert. Definitely important enough to post to ensure we aren't hurting the deer in our management programs that we all participate in one way or another.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Warning on a certain kind of plot   Warning on a certain kind of plot EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 10:08 pm

First I have heard about that. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Warning on a certain kind of plot   Warning on a certain kind of plot EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Thats some great info.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: Warning on a certain kind of plot   Warning on a certain kind of plot EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 1:55 am

Great info to know. Thanks Robert.
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Warning on a certain kind of plot   Warning on a certain kind of plot EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 8:45 am

I've read that before, seen some debate over it also. Sometimes you don't know what to think.
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

PostSubject: Re: Warning on a certain kind of plot   Warning on a certain kind of plot EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 1:46 pm

I am with CA on this one. Some thing to keep a close eye on. I am sure there will be over 100 studies done now.
Back to top Go down
dg1

PostSubject: Re: Warning on a certain kind of plot   Warning on a certain kind of plot EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 8:35 pm

This seems to be the big news on the food plot front. I do not buy into it myself. I have seen brassicas planted for years with no ill effect on the herd. Here is a link to an article discussing many of the same issues. http://www.ampacseed.com/pdfs/newsletters/Impact0410.pdf
Back to top Go down
Nukguy

Nukguy

PostSubject: Re: Warning on a certain kind of plot   Warning on a certain kind of plot EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 11:29 pm

Got the same e-mail, but it came from "Buck Forage Oats", and all the Brassical/Turnip blends are their primary competition. When I see a couple studies I might be a believer, most of us live in Agriculture country, the likelihood our deer's diet would consist of the concentration necessary to cause those adverse affects is extremely unlikely.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Warning on a certain kind of plot   Warning on a certain kind of plot EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 2:15 am

yeah ive seen this alot too, but like dg1 has said its been around for years and has had no effect until just one herd was effected. I think it gave one company a good opp to dog on other companies products to make themself alittle more $$$$.

Thats just my 2 cents. and i could be wrong and im sure there will be alot of studies on it and only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warning on a certain kind of plot   Warning on a certain kind of plot Empty

Back to top Go down

Warning on a certain kind of plot
Page 1 of 1