Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

when and what to plant

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
whitetail fanatic

when and what to plant Empty
PostSubject: when and what to plant   when and what to plant EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 2:53 pm

i love food plots, but have limited area, equipment and funds...
i will be broadcast planting. i was thinking about throwing some clover and rye seed out. small seeds need minimal coverage, is that right?
any other suggestions on what to plant? and would it help to do a planting then at a later time overseed the same area? when should i get out there?
march? april? any thoughts will be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: when and what to plant   when and what to plant EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Sorry no help here but id like to hear what everyone else says about it. i am interested too
Back to top Go down
dg1

PostSubject: Re: when and what to plant   when and what to plant EmptyThu Feb 24, 2011 12:43 am

If you are going to broadcast without any tillage you will have to stick with your smaller seeds for the most part. Even the smaller seeds require seed to soil contact. Ideally you would spray the area once prior to seeding and if possible a second time at seeding. Clover, radishes, turnips and rye are the easiest in my opinion to broadcast without tilling. You will still have to control the weeds. Clover is best broadcast at this time of year, called frost seeding. Radishes/turnips are best broadcast late July through mid August. You will need some form of cultipacker for this for best results. Anything to get the seeds just into the soil. ATV wheels or truck tires can work for this. You would need to kill off the vegitation prior to or at seeding.
Rye is probably the easiest to broadcast and can be done later in the year. It will germinate with temps in the 30's so weeds should be gone. My advice is to sow winter/fall rye and not ryegrass. Deer prefer this to the ryegrass. I can help out more if you have specific questions, let me know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: when and what to plant   when and what to plant Empty

Back to top Go down

when and what to plant
Page 1 of 1