Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Average shot distance?

Go down 
+9
Bowhunter83
buckbuster217
Mark
LawCoBowhunter
Robert
30pointbuck
Camoed Assassin
wacker
oregonzach
13 posters
AuthorMessage
oregonzach

oregonzach

Average shot distance? Empty
PostSubject: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 3:21 pm

So what do you think your average shot distance is on deer? If you want to break it down by archery and gun go for it! We get caught up reading about 400 yard rifles and cartridges, this magnum craze. Bows are shooting 100fps faster than just a few years ago and people are heading to the woods with their pins set out to 75 yards. So without bragging about longest shots, how far away do you shoot most of your deer? For me:

Archery 3 to 25 yards, average is about 10 yards

Firearm average about 90 yards.
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 pm

With a bow I'd say my average is 20 yards. I do my best setting the stand location in anticipation for that shot distance. Although foodplot sets push the shots out farther.

With a rifle my shot distances are all over. My favorite rifle stand is in a creekbottom and has oppertunities out to 350. My average shot from there is 150 yards. The problem with the farther shots is you typically don't get much time to line up, at least at the shooter bucks.

Some buddies hunt ridge to ridge in timber that has thick mountain laural as underbrush. You can't get close to the deer in that stuff. Most of their stands are now setup to shoot the other side where 600 yards is common. One key factor they need to be successful is snow, it's nearly impossible to spot deer across without it.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 10:06 pm

For me with a bow probablly 20yds and a gun maybe around 100yds
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Camoed Assassin wrote:
For me with a bow probablly 20yds and a gun maybe around 100yds

Yep, same here. X2
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 9:28 am

about 30 yards with my bow and around 90 yards for gun.
Back to top Go down
LawCoBowhunter

LawCoBowhunter

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 7:29 pm

20-25 yds for bow...75 for shotgun and 100+ with the tc bone collector
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 9:47 pm

20-40 yards...so I'll go 30 yard average with bow

shotgun about 100 yards or less.... TC muzzleloader maybe 140 yards or less..... my average is probably 75 yards

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
buckbuster217

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 6:07 pm

With the bow I would say 15 to 25 yards, just depends on what stand I am in.
Back to top Go down
Bowhunter83

Bowhunter83

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 7:00 pm

bow closest was 5yds farthest was 45, but majority are 20 yd range, Gun id say 150-200yd as my farm is 90% fields and crp.
Back to top Go down
DaveC

DaveC

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Bow average is about 20 yards. Shotgun is about 60-70 yards.
Back to top Go down
Indiana_buck_buster

Indiana_buck_buster

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 3:12 am

Of the last 3 years of deer harvested my bow kills were at 20 & 25 yards and my gun kills were at 15 & 25. A little up close a personal with the muzzleloader. They are lucky they didn't get powder burns. Haha
Back to top Go down
boneheadz

boneheadz

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 9:46 pm

archery, thats tough, ive shot several deer right under my stand, the farthest is 42yards 0-42=21 21 yards

gun around 100 yards
Back to top Go down
Justintohunting

Justintohunting

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 9:56 pm

15 yds last year i shot a doe at 3 steps
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Average shot distance?   Average shot distance? Empty

Back to top Go down

Average shot distance?
Page 1 of 1