Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Over the counter CO elk

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wacker

wacker

Over the counter CO elk Empty
PostSubject: Over the counter CO elk   Over the counter CO elk EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 7:33 am

Hey all, I made it out to Colorado this year and bought an over the counter elk tag to do a little DIY elk hunting. We camped by tent from the truck. This was my first time hunting the North Park area. I bounced around some hunting State park, Medicine Bow NF and Routt NF. Late last Friday morning I was out ridge running and had one bark at me. Moved in closer and above him. I sweet talked him a little and he came right in for a 30 yard shot. I double lunged him and he didn't go far. After all the busted set-ups it's nice when things go right for a change. Cool

Over the counter CO elk Bull-1

Over the counter CO elk Bull-hole

There's some awesome country in that area. I had to see 25+ moose in all, 10 in one day. Had one bull at 25 yards, see picture below. I also hiked it up to 11K chasin bulls. They still have snow left over from last year.

Over the counter CO elk Moose-1
Over the counter CO elk Mountain

Over the counter CO elk 11K
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: Over the counter CO elk   Over the counter CO elk EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:32 am

Congrats on a great bull and a great hunt. DIY Elk is not an easy hunt at all
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

PostSubject: Re: Over the counter CO elk   Over the counter CO elk EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Thats fantastic, an elk on your own-with a bow-is no small accomplishment! Very Cool!
Back to top Go down
Justintohunting

Justintohunting

PostSubject: Re: Over the counter CO elk   Over the counter CO elk EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Man that is awesome, it looks like you are haveing tons of fun Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Over the counter CO elk   Over the counter CO elk EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks guys. I've been addicted to chasin bulls for a few years now. It's always a great primer before our deer season comes in round home here. I was relentless this year cause with starting a new job I'm not sure if I'll have the time. Earlier in the hunt I was in on a few real nice bulls but no good shot oppertunities. The best was a good 6 point at ~15 yards screaming in his wallow as I was at full draw but just couldn't close the deal. Could have shot one of his cows but I wanted him. Exciting none the less. This one never bugled once, just that one bark.
Back to top Go down
Indiana_buck_buster

Indiana_buck_buster

PostSubject: Re: Over the counter CO elk   Over the counter CO elk EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 6:16 pm

Nice bull. I would love to do that. How long were you hunting and how much were the tags?
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Over the counter CO elk   Over the counter CO elk EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 7:12 pm

Colorado NR tags are around $554, archery are either sex. I prefer taking two weeks if you're DIY'ing it but do what you can. Some guys like it earlier in the season but I prefer the last two weeks cause they tend to be more vocal. The draw is early April and that may help you get into a limited unit. Although OTC tags are good for several units. I hunted 3 different units this time out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Over the counter CO elk   Over the counter CO elk Empty

Back to top Go down

Over the counter CO elk
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Whitetail Affliction :: Other Critter Section :: Big Game Animals-
Jump to: