Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Quality Deer Management

Go down 
+8
RattleSnake
dkoutdoors
mibigbuckhunter
PSE32
MRA
hntnksn
TheRomer
Mike
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike

Quality Deer Management Empty
PostSubject: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 7:28 pm

Does anybody else try to practice QDM?
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 1:00 am

I would really love to, and i do some what just dont plant any plots like i want to. the property i hunt is up for sale so i dont want to drop alot of $$$ into it and it sells. Sad

I really think i could produce some monsters if i did.

Wish i had a place of my own
Back to top Go down
hntnksn

hntnksn

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 10:40 pm

i supplemental feed high protein year round. in gravity feeders. they can come and go as they want.

put out a few small plots. clover,chicory and turnips.

and try to harvest 2x as many does as bucks.

i limit the number of bucks harvested on my place to 5. but usually try to keep it at 3.
Back to top Go down
MRA

MRA

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 10:49 pm

I practice alot of QDM. I have several properties that i manage for my own hunting, the farms that my family farms. I have had several plots, but im putting out about twice as many plots on mine this year. I have seen a tremendous difference though. I also feed minerals, they can lick on them whenever they want, and feed corn in feeders when there feed supply is low, ussually in late winter. I am really the only one that hunts about 1000 acres i manage and will definetly be guiding hunts on my properties soon.

Now the properties me and my partner lease is a different story. The biggest factor is we dont own the land so we are limited to what we can do. We definetly manage the shooting of bucks and does. Only kill muture bucks and keep the amount of hunters down. In the next few years we are going to try and shoot more does. But trying to plant food plots on some other farmers land is about imposible. I have a few that let me but i try not to be pushy to the landowners so they dont shy away from us.
Back to top Go down
PSE32

PSE32

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Mike I think some QDM is going to be needed down here if this freezing weather keeps up! You think its gonna hurt the acorns again?
Back to top Go down
mibigbuckhunter

mibigbuckhunter

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 9:53 pm

I try to do as much as I possibly can, But living in the state of Mich is almost impossible. We have over 1.1 million total number of hunters. Its alot of people's mind set if its brown its down.
Back to top Go down
dkoutdoors

dkoutdoors

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 2:58 pm

My wife an I definately try but the nieghboring property owners shoot with the mentality of if its brown its down so it makes it rough in my area, we have went so far as to ask them to join us in QDM an they arent interested unfortunately
Back to top Go down
RattleSnake

RattleSnake

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 3:26 pm

We do our best to practice to QDM on our property as well, but like dk, we have neighbors that will shoot just about anything. We now have three sides of our property involved in QDM, but the one remaining leaves it up to only a couple of days of hunting with rifles. They hunt opening weekend and Thanksgiving day and barely half days at that, so we really don't worry a whole lot about them anymore.
The problem that many people run into is the same as what dk has where the neighboring properties will shoot ANYTHING! It saddens me that so many people in this situation will shoot borderline and smaller bucks with the mentality that if they don't shoot them someone else wil. There is ALWAYS the chance someone will kill that buck, or it could be a car, disease, or a predator. However; if they kill it...it has NO chance of making it another year to maturity, and when it boils down to it, it's simple justification for shooting a smaller buck instead of practicing SELF CONTROL. Even with small tracts of property QDM can be practiced as long as the people hunting that said property have the discipline to stick to it.
As someone else already stated here; planting food plots, supplemental feeding/minerals or whatever you do for your herd is better than nothing. Here in WI feeding/minerals aren't legal most places, but plots are and they can and do make an incredible difference. Imagine more deer holding on your property instead of the neighbors' or if in an agricultural area the deer staying around when the row crops are gone instead of moving on to find some other food source. The more you do for your herd the more rewards you will see.

Last edited by RattleSnake on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dkoutdoors

dkoutdoors

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 3:50 pm

Very well said Toby
Back to top Go down
Big Sexy

Big Sexy

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 1:39 pm

Yes. We kill as manny does as we possibly can. On top of that on my place I plant a few food plots. some for every time of the year.. Killing the does is the biggest thing you can do. Getting our doe to buck ratio is key. However, we are long ways from getting it right yet.. Give us more time and seasons and we will get there.

Last edited by Big Sexy on Thu May 21, 2009 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brandon

Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 6:19 pm

We do as much as we can! Shooting does, minerals, passing on young! Food Plots. We try that is all you can do here in MI.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tine

Tall Tine

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 3:12 pm

We do also, we have been for about 5 years and there are now some monsters running around at both of my properties. It's a great thing, it just takes a little time and patience for it to work for you and genetics.
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management EmptyWed May 20, 2009 5:21 pm

My family owns about 1500 acres in PA where I try to take the lead in using QDMA on the property. We have mineral licks, food plots, hardwoods, fields, clear cuts, and about everything else a deer could want in PA. We have a pretty good buck to doe ratio, and with the recent PA hunting laws on point restriction, our age structure is getting better and better. The most difficult thing I find is to try and get the rest of the family members to properly age the deer and let the young bucks walk. My dad shot a 154 inch giant (at least a giant for PA) a couple of years back, so the managment is working.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quality Deer Management   Quality Deer Management Empty

Back to top Go down

Quality Deer Management
Page 1 of 1