Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

climbing stand question

Go down 
+8
Mike
Camoed Assassin
JackHammer
Dream Catcher
Dave
mathewsguy
Joe
botzitaliano
12 posters
AuthorMessage
botzitaliano

climbing stand question Empty
PostSubject: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 9:46 pm

hey all im looking to purchase a self climbing stand. i currently own 2 stationary stands which i have set up on my property, but i would be nice to have the versatility of one that i can put where ever i want. with that being said i was wondering if you guys can guide me into the direction of a good stand that is easy to use for the most part, and not a tank to carry. also i was wondering what kind of safety harnesses that y'all use. the common problem that i always run into with them is the lack of slack when im trying to make a tough angle shot out the tree. as always appreciate all of your input. look forward to hearing your thoughts.
-mike-
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 8:07 am

I had the same problem with a harness until here recently. I use the Muddy harness now and have yet to have a problem with the teather causing problems with a shot. It is very well made and it does not feel like your even wearing a harness.

My fav. line of climber is the Summit line. I use the Viper and I love it. Very easy to take into the woods and attach to the tree. While climbing up it is super quite and solid as a rock.

Good luck!

Last edited by Joe on Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 8:09 am

I totally agree with Joe on that the muddy harness is great and as far as a climber summit viper is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Joe already said everything that was coming to mind as I was reading through your post. The only thing I might add that is if you gun hunt also, you might take a look at the summit 180 because it is designed where you can flip the seat to look way from or towards the tree. You can't go wrong with a summit climber. The goliath is also a little wider too. That is what I have.
Back to top Go down
Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 3:55 pm

Muddy's Harness is is the best thing out there.....

Any of the Summit line of climbers are great. I personally stopped using one.
Back to top Go down
JackHammer

JackHammer

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 5:00 pm

I have the Summit Goliath (FOR THE BIG GUYS) Love it! I had a cheepy from wal-mart, NO comparison!

For the harness, have the one that came with Summit, have had no Prob with it, but would Love to upgrade. I have heard alot about the MUDDY harness, that will be the one I get when I get a new one!

GOOD luck
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 7:24 pm

I got a Summit Viper and it is a good climber. I personally dont like climbers but the Viper is a solid stand.
Back to top Go down
botzitaliano

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 8:25 pm

i was just looking at the vipers online, im stricktly a bowhunter. does that rail get in the way at all? i was looking at the summit open shot that seems more like a bowhunter stand. im sure its just all a matter of personal preference but i have no experience with them. from what y'all say as long as its a summit i cant go wrong
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 9:07 pm

I have had the bar that goes up to the strap that goes around the tree get in the way. The bottom of the bow hit it when I shot. But the open shot has it to. The front bar is typically well under the bow when set up. The bar that I hit was on the side and is only a problem when trying to shot behind the tree. Without the front bar it can be difficult to climb. With the front bar you just sit on it when climbing, so it's less of a workout on the arms. The open shot is a little lighter, which is a plus if you have a good hike to your spot.
Back to top Go down
Mike

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 7:27 am

I used to have a Summit Bullet BackPacker but got rid of it earlier this year. I didn't like the noise it made climbing the trees, and I didn't like having to saw a bunch of limbs off to get up very high. I would always find the perfect spot but there wasn't a tree I could use the climber on because of too many limbs.

When Muddy came out with their climbing sticks is when I sold the Summit. I can carry a Hunter Hang On and a set of Climbing Sticks and it equals the weight of a climber. With the stand and stick combo, it doesn't matter how many limbs are on the tree. You scoot right on past them and get up as high as you want. Plus it leaves all the limbs and leaves in place to give you some cover from the ground!

Each person has their own preference on stands and such, and I'm not slamming Summit. The one I had was really comfortable to sit in, I just had to look around alot more for the "right tree" to climb and sometimes it was a pain in the butt. Now that I've got the stand/stick combo from Muddy....I don't ever see myself sitting in a climber again.
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 1:12 pm

Even though I completely agree with Mike, I will say I have been in some woods that every tree is a climber (tall,straight & no limbs) and it's nice to climb up 30 feet or so and be hidden. There are many climbers that I would use (and have), I have one recommendation for some important reasons. I do not recommend the Lone Wolf climber (I know I am going to get ripped for this). I have owned and used mine for the past two seasons several times a week during the season. First off it is expensive. Not a problem if the quality is there and it is. Secondly it has a limitation of the diameter tree to climb and gets tricky with big bottom trees that thin out in diameter towards the top. I understand this may be common with climbers but the top climber of the LW does not stay tight or attached without downward pressure. Hence one of my issues. If you remove pressure from the top portion, it will drop. Scary when you are 20-30 feet up. Thirdly when climbing harder trees like maples for example with little bark, the platform doesn't stay dug into the tree no matter how tight you cinch down the straps. (You need to cinch straps to make the climber work) So if you put weight to one side while standing close to the tree, it sways and separates from the tree. I suppose the bottom could fall right out.
Now with all this said, I am used to it and I know how to make it safe. It is light weight and packs really well.
With a set of sticks and stand like Mike mentioned, there are no limitations of where you can stand.
Back to top Go down
Early Morning Gobble

Early Morning Gobble

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 4:54 pm

There are some pros and cons to both the climbers and hang ons. I think the hang ons allow an individual to be more successful in the woods than the climbers. Of course it all depends on where you are hunting to and hoe muich you have to walk and so on.

I do believe no matter what safety harness you wear, you are still going to have issues with your strap connecting you to the tree. You just have to work around them and make sure before hand you know what to do before the big one steps into a shotting lane on your tough side. I did purchase the muddy harness last year and i do like it. I would recommend the new muddy harness out this yr with the modifications to it.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 8:42 pm

Mike is right. It is hard to find the right tree. I think all climbers are loud, thats why I dont care for them much. I have a climber just in case I may need it but I haven't used it in probablly 3 years.
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 12:25 am

Camoed Assassin wrote:
I got a Summit Viper and it is a good climber. I personally dont like climbers but the Viper is a solid stand.
X2
Back to top Go down
OutdoorEaly

OutdoorEaly

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 11:46 am

I have several climbers and enjoy using all of them. However, it is always nice to carry just the bow into a ladder stand or ground blind or hang on that are already set and waiting.

I have a Summit Viper and feel its the safest, most comfortable and locks the tightest to a tree. I also have the lone wolf sit and climb which is super light and probably the quickest to climb with. However, it requires some serious practice with the tension straps in order to keep the stand locked down. Its not uncommon to have an OH #%$^ moment in this stand. I also have a tree lounge with the bowhunting adapter. As far as the tree lounge goes if you want to live in the tree for a week or so there is simply no other choice. When I die I want to be perched in it with a bow in my hand. Its heavy and akward to setup.

I know your question was about treestands but I love groundblinds as well. I use double bull blinds but there are quite a few good ones out there now.

Best of luck to you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: climbing stand question   climbing stand question Empty

Back to top Go down

climbing stand question
Page 1 of 1