Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

CMOS vS CCD

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LawCoBowhunter

LawCoBowhunter

CMOS vS CCD Empty
PostSubject: CMOS vS CCD   CMOS vS CCD EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Is there really a big difference between the two?I've been reading up on a few cameras lately and I really like Sony's new HDR-AX2000 .I also like the XH A1S.I'm sure they are both good and they have some pros and cons between them.Just looking for some feedback mainly on cmos.I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on one of these cameras.
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

CMOS vS CCD Empty
PostSubject: Re: CMOS vS CCD   CMOS vS CCD EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 4:16 pm

I've not used a camera with the CMOS. I read a lot about it but we use Canon and that's a CCD camera. I don't think one is any better than the other but there is a better history with CCD and in my experience it's just hard to beat the XH A1S. A fantastic camera that will serve all your needs in the woods. It's reliable and durable and has most all the bells and whistles on it. You can run a light on it as well as a wireless and shotgun and you have a lot of manual control in the video and sound aspects. The lens and zoom on the Canon is as good as it gets. Not sure of the price on the Sony but I know the Canon is a great choice
Back to top Go down
Big Sexy

Big Sexy

CMOS vS CCD Empty
PostSubject: probably a dumb question   CMOS vS CCD EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 1:37 pm

What is CMOS and the other thing you are talking about? I understand it is something about the camera, but help a redneck understand.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

CMOS vS CCD Empty
PostSubject: Re: CMOS vS CCD   CMOS vS CCD EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Big Sexy wrote:
What is CMOS and the other thing you are talking about? I understand it is something about the camera, but help a redneck understand.

Here ya there. X2
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

CMOS vS CCD Empty
PostSubject: Re: CMOS vS CCD   CMOS vS CCD EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 4:22 pm

This is the part of the camera that brings the image from the lens to the camera. Here is an article that can better explain it to you and also explain the difference:

Digital cameras have become extremely common as the prices have come down. One of the drivers behind the falling prices has been the introduction of CMOS image sensors. CMOS sensors are much less expensive to manufacture than CCD sensors.

Both CCD (charge-coupled device) and CMOS (complimentary metal-oxide semiconductor) image sensors start at the same point -- they have to convert light into electrons. If you have read the article How Solar Cells Work, you understand one technology that is used to perform the conversion. One simplified way to think about the sensor used in a digital camera (or camcorder) is to think of it as having a 2-D array of thousands or millions of tiny solar cells, each of which transforms the light from one small portion of the image into electrons. Both CCD and CMOS devices perform this task using a variety of technologies.

The next step is to read the value (accumulated charge) of each cell in the image. In a CCD device, the charge is actually transported across the chip and read at one corner of the array. An analog-to-digital converter turns each pixel's value into a digital value. In most CMOS devices, there are several transistors at each pixel that amplify and move the charge using more traditional wires. The CMOS approach is more flexible because each pixel can be read individually.

CCDs use a special manufacturing process to create the ability to transport charge across the chip without distortion. This process leads to very high-quality sensors in terms of fidelity and light sensitivity. CMOS chips, on the other hand, use traditional manufacturing processes to create the chip -- the same processes used to make most microprocessors. Because of the manufacturing differences, there have been some noticeable differences between CCD and CMOS sensors.

CCD sensors, as mentioned above, create high-quality, low-noise images. CMOS sensors, traditionally, are more susceptible to noise.
Because each pixel on a CMOS sensor has several transistors located next to it, the light sensitivity of a CMOS chip tends to be lower. Many of the photons hitting the chip hit the transistors instead of the photodiode.
CMOS traditionally consumes little power. Implementing a sensor in CMOS yields a low-power sensor.
CCDs use a process that consumes lots of power. CCDs consume as much as 100 times more power than an equivalent CMOS sensor.
CMOS chips can be fabricated on just about any standard silicon production line, so they tend to be extremely inexpensive compared to CCD sensors.
CCD sensors have been mass produced for a longer period of time, so they are more mature. They tend to have higher quality and more pixels.
Based on these differences, you can see that CCDs tend to be used in cameras that focus on high-quality images with lots of pixels and excellent light sensitivity. CMOS sensors traditionally have lower quality, lower resolution and lower sensitivity. CMOS sensors are just now improving to the point where they reach near parity with CCD devices in some applications. CMOS cameras are usually less expensive and have great battery life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CMOS vS CCD Empty
PostSubject: Re: CMOS vS CCD   CMOS vS CCD Empty

Back to top Go down

CMOS vS CCD
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Whitetail Affliction :: Buck Fever :: Video Productions- Sponsored by Camera Land-
Jump to: