Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

My Kentucky hunt.

Go down 
+5
Dave
volway
Mark
wacker
Camoed Assassin
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

My Kentucky hunt. Empty
PostSubject: My Kentucky hunt.   My Kentucky hunt. EmptyTue May 04, 2010 9:38 pm

Started the trip by leaving Maryland at 2 pm. Man it was a pretty long drive by myself with nothing to do but take in the scenery and listen to the same songs on the radio over and over again. Made it to camp around 11 pm and got to meet Mark and Romer, Robert had already went to bed. Talked a little then retired to the designated snoring room. Steve and I shacked up befor in Illinois and he says I snore Rolling Eyes so he made all the snorers stay in the same room. Didn't hear a peep out of anyone that night.
Got up early the next morning and got to go with Romer and try to lay some footage down of him wacking a bird but it never happened. The weather wasn't the best, a little cold and a little rain off and on. We only heard 2 gobbles and they were way off. We did see a hen that snuck up behind us. We had no idea she was there until Romer stroked his DB call a couple of times and she started to putt just a few yards behind us. Did a little moving but only saw that hen again and some prime looking deer and turkey ground. So we headed back to the lodge to get some grub and try to come up with a game plan with the rest of the WA boys.
We drove around and checked some other farms and the last farm we checked out had a couple of birds gobbling so Romer and Mark headed back to camp to gear up and get after them. Steve and I headed out with the guide Nate to go over to another farm and see whatwas going on over there. We get almost to where Nate wants to set up and we see a dog hounding around where Nate expects the birds to come from Mad so we decide to just try to run and gun and cover as much ground as we can hoping to run into a hot bird. Let me tell you Nate can cover some ground, he about killed us. The weather really had these birds shut down, we never heard anything.
The next morning we all slept in a little and Romer and Mark headed back to the farm they were hunting the evening before. Steve decided we should go check out one of his leases. we took the 30 minute trip and got set up in a small clump of trees surrounding a small pond in the middle of a huge field. A half hour after getting set up it starts to rain pretty good but we wereset up under a thick oak tree so we didn't get a drop of rain on us or the camera. Right after it started raining Steve spots a bird atleast 500 yards off. I glass him and confirm it's a long beard so Steve atarts to call to him. He ammediatley pops his head up and starts to angle our way. He gets a couple hundred yards away and decides he wants to go else where. He goes right in front of a blind another hunter has set up then after a while he starts our way again. He gets to about 150 yards then 2 other longbeards enter the field and he hangs up watching the other birds. The other birds go right in front of the blind also.Then the 2 longbeards head our way after hearing Steve call. They came running in to 65-70 yards and then just turned and ran the single bird off Evil or Very Mad After walking to farm we decided we need to be sitting in that blind in the morning.
The next morning we did just that, sat in the blind. Didn't hear anybirds early till on sounded off right where we parked the 4 wheeler. He pitched off towards us and we could hear himm gobbling but couldn't see him. I hit the call a few times and bang a real live decoy steps out of the woods right before he came out of the woods. He sits there and displays for her forever. She spoks off back in the woods and 2 more hens poped out. That was more than he could take. He finally made his way into range and Steve gave me the green light that he had him in frame and BOOM gun goes off and the bird takes off Laughing so I let another one bark. The bird cuts to the left and into the woods. So I jumped out of the window and went after him. As soon as I get into the woods All I see is green, how am I going to find a bird in this? Well he helped me out a bit by flopping and making some noise I have never heard come from a turkey before. Ithen let the last shell in my gun eat and it was probablly not necessary but it was now over. To bad Steve didn't get me jumping out of that little window but he had to save the camera before I ran it over.
Kentucky Trophy Bucks deffinitely has some awsome ground and I will deffinitely be going back for some deer and turkey hunting. It was a great hunt in some less that perfect weather but the guys in camp and just getting to hunt new ground is what it's all about.

My Kentucky hunt. IMG_0159
My Kentucky hunt. IMG_0163
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

My Kentucky hunt. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Kentucky hunt.   My Kentucky hunt. EmptyWed May 05, 2010 8:57 am

Congrats on the KY bird. Good job getting out and after that bird. Cool
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

My Kentucky hunt. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Kentucky hunt.   My Kentucky hunt. EmptyWed May 05, 2010 9:52 am

Perfect end to the hunt for you.........

I was a great time at Kentucky Trophy Bucks ........ lots of great land, I cant wait to go back this fall.

I saw 16 deer while I was there too.....6 of them were bucks ( 2-4" of antler showing)

All the guys in camp had a great time......very fun getting to meet everyone

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

My Kentucky hunt. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Kentucky hunt.   My Kentucky hunt. EmptyWed May 05, 2010 11:52 am

Was a great time weather just didn't help much
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

My Kentucky hunt. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Kentucky hunt.   My Kentucky hunt. EmptyWed May 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Great write up and pics Don.... Thanks for sharing it all. Hope to be in the next camp with you guys. Congrats again on a great bird!
Back to top Go down
Darius

Darius

My Kentucky hunt. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Kentucky hunt.   My Kentucky hunt. EmptyWed May 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Congrats CA. Sounds like a blast. That was a great story and a great ending to a rough outing due to the weather. Glad you could nail one... Add another to the team boys!!!
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

My Kentucky hunt. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Kentucky hunt.   My Kentucky hunt. EmptyWed May 05, 2010 7:05 pm

deff was a great time.

Congats again buddy on a great bird
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

My Kentucky hunt. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Kentucky hunt.   My Kentucky hunt. EmptyWed May 05, 2010 8:16 pm

That is a great bird Don. Congrats Buddy.
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

My Kentucky hunt. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Kentucky hunt.   My Kentucky hunt. EmptyTue May 11, 2010 5:14 pm

Yeah it sounded like you all had a great time. I think I am going to have to go next year. Just need to find someone to get some work done while I am gone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Kentucky hunt. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Kentucky hunt.   My Kentucky hunt. Empty

Back to top Go down

My Kentucky hunt.
Page 1 of 1