Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Gun Shield for Muzzle Loader

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander

FrontierGander

Gun Shield for Muzzle Loader Empty
PostSubject: Gun Shield for Muzzle Loader   Gun Shield for Muzzle Loader EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 7:59 pm

A couple days ago i talked to Doug over at Ultra Coatings inc. and he sent me some supplies to do our rifles with. The Gun Shield was one product for protecting the frame/outside of the barrel from rust + it aids in easy clean up.

I figured i'd start with a rifle that doesnt have a scope on it so i grabbed the new CVA Optima. The CCI 209M primers i use can at times leave a hard crust on primer fouling on the inside of the frame and i have to use steel wool to get it off. What ever kind of coating they have on the frame right now, the fouling sticks like a SOB. Doug said the Gun Shield will take care of that.

I took the rifle down right to the frame, took the frame outside and sprayed it out with brake cleaner until everything was clean inside the gut area and then dried it off, sprayed a rag with windex and continued to clean the rifle free of any oil on it. I did the same with the barrel and other parts that got coated.

Parts coated with 4 coats of gun shield.

Barrel, Frame, Stock Bolt, Firing pin parts including the bushing and all threads for the firing pin Assy. and Stock bolt.

This stuff is slick! I can really feel the difference now that its been coated.

The breech plug i cleaned as best as i could and used a q tip to coat everything including the threads and the primer end of the breech plug, even down into the primer pocket. Put it on a cookie sheet and baked it in the oven for 45 minutes as Doug instructed me to. Baking it on the breech plug makes it a lot more durable. No other parts need the oven trick.

Gun Shield for Muzzle Loader 000_1617
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: Gun Shield for Muzzle Loader   Gun Shield for Muzzle Loader EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 9:54 pm

Great info. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Gun Shield for Muzzle Loader   Gun Shield for Muzzle Loader EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 10:38 pm

Thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gun Shield for Muzzle Loader   Gun Shield for Muzzle Loader Empty

Back to top Go down

Gun Shield for Muzzle Loader
Page 1 of 1