Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)

Go down 
+8
Snivs
Robert
Mark
switchbackBBD16
30pointbuck
oregonzach
LawCoBowhunter
Dave
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave

Dave

INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) Empty
PostSubject: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 8:41 am

Not by me. But I am super excited for the lucky hunter. My friend Ryan (Jacks cousin) connected on him. What a spectacular deer... Will get him to post some pictures and fill you in on the story soon.

Last edited by Dave on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LawCoBowhunter

LawCoBowhunter

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 6:15 pm

Can't wait to see the pics.
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 7:21 pm

You can't make posts like this without pictures Dave, come on man, get them!
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyMon Nov 01, 2010 7:31 pm

Can't wait to see the picts. cheers
Back to top Go down
switchbackBBD16

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Ok...I'm here to save Dave with some pics.

Here's the pics from my recent bowkill this past weekend. He's a 210 lb (field dressed) 16pt Central Indiana freak nasty with an un-official gross score of 191 3/8"...

He's definitely the largest deer that I have ever taken and probably ever will...but I will enjoy trying to top him in the years to come.

[url=INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) IMG_1318]
[url=INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) DSC01043]
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 9:46 pm

WOW. Thats a MONSTER. Congrats. Welcome to Whitetail Affliction. Pleasure to have ya with us.
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Wow, a big congrats Ryan! And ok Dave, you were saved by the skin of your teeth with the pics,
that really is a monster!
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 12:09 pm

What a stud! Best harvested deer I have ever seen in person. My jaw dropped when I saw him hanging in your barn. Congrats to you! Thanks for joining the site and I look forward to interacting on the site with you. Tell DJ and your other buddies about it. Congrats again on a buck of a lifetime!
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 10:03 pm

WOW what a buck....Congrats

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 10:04 pm

ohhhhhh one more thing....your on my team for the Big Buck Contest!!!! cheers

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 8:28 am

What a great buck. Heard the tracking job was epic
Back to top Go down
switchbackBBD16

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 5:44 pm

Sorry for the late post on the story...hard enough just finding time to hunt.

Let's just say that this deer was the 5th buck that I had seen this Friday evening (Oct. 29th). I had gotten to my stand around 3pm, and after turning around in my stand to raise my bow up and seeing a small forkhorn buck standing there looking at me...I knew that this was a good sign that the deer would be moving.

After getting all settled in the stand and somewehere around 4:30pm, I saw two bucks running a doe around inside the woods adjacent to me and they were less than 40 yards away. One was a small 6pt and the other was a 3yr old 8 with a broken G2. They eventually went back further into the woods out of my sight. At 5:30pm, I had 2.5yr old 8pt run a couple of does out of a thicket into a cut corn field behid me. I saw a few bucks chasing does the morning of this same day but was becomming more and more excited about the number of bucks I was seeing starting to chase does. They worked their way on out of my sight...as I listened to couple of hen turkeys cutting away in the distance.

At 6:30pm, I caught a glimpse of deer moving in the adjacent woods. I pulled up my binos to see that it was a mature doe and at the time I didn't see any other deer, so I made my mind up that I was going to take her if she presented the opportunity. I had been wanting to take a doe for meat. I stood up and grabbed my bow from its hanger and turned to get into position for the shot. As I was waiting for her to step into my shooting lane, I noticed another deer following her. It was a yearling doe. Call me crazy, but I won't shoot a doe that has her yearlings with her. So, as I was reaching to hang my bow back up and my nerves starting to settle...I hear a deep baritone grunt coming from inside the woods. I pull up my binos and begin to search the woods for the maker of this beautiful sound. I catch a glimpse of the buck. I could see 4 tines on one side and they had pretty good length, so right then I knew I was looking at a potential 150 class 10pt buck and made the decision that I was going to take this deer. I never took another look at his horns until after I shot. This deer was heading my way, on the exact path that the doe and yearling had come down, grunting every 15-20 steps. As he makes his way into my shooting lane 15 yrds away, I draw...he stops...I shoot.

As my arrow passed through this deer, I start to tremble as it all happened so quickly, I never had a chance to get nervous. The buck runs 50 yards up and fencerow and head into the woods. I'm listening for a crash...nothing...I begin to replay everything in my head. I knew that my shot was little back, but was positive that I got a lung and maybe liver. I wait till dark and head back to the truck to meet up with my tracking crew.

We set out at 8:30pm to go find this deer. We find good blood right away thanks to the 3 blade rage and follow a steady blood trail for almost 300 yards...wondering when we'd find him piled up. We get to a place where he had bedded down and got back up. We backout and decide to resume the search in a couple of hours. We come back at 11:30pm and pick back up on the blood trail and go anoher 300-400 yards and find another spot where he had layed down and gotten back up. In fear of pushing him any further, we decide to backout again and resume the search in the morning...what an aweful feeling! I'm beginning to question my shot and wonder what I could have done wrong...

We resume our search at daylight...hoping that he would only be a few hundred yards from where he layed down the last time. We get back on his blood and after another 100 yards, the blood trail starts to lighten. It lightens so much that the five of us are on our hands and knees for the next 300-400 yards picking up pin-point sized drops of blood before moving any further. As we track him towards a river we see that he crossed it...my heart drops. Why would a deer that's wounded this bad try to cross a river? I begin to lose hope that we would find this deer. We cross the river and immediately find where he had come up on the other bank, walked a few yards down the bank, and went back into the river. We couldn't believe that he would cross the river, just to go back across it again. As we keep my Dad and cousin on one side of the river searching, my other cousin, best friend and I head back across the river to see if we can find where he came back across. As we stand in the middle of the river, we hear my Dad and cousin start yelling and whistling, "THERE HE IS!!!" They had spotted him laying a few hundred yards up the riverbank. We rush to the deer to discover that he was the buck my cousin nicknamed "Freaky McNasty" from trailcam pics that I had gotten of him just a week before. He was definitely no 150 class 10 pt...more like a 170 class (after deductions) 16pt with an "un-official" gross green score of 191 3/8".

There are no words to explain the excitement that my Dad, family, friends and I shared on that riverbank for the next 20 minutes. I am grateful to have recovered this deer and thankful to have shared this experience with my Dad (who started me hunting at age 5), my family from Kentucky (that just loves to hunt...period) and my best friend (who's the luckiest hunter in world...first buck was a 160 class 10pt). It was one of the most joyest moments of my life...i love this sport.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks for sharing the story of the hunt! I am sure it will be a day that you will never forget and I am glad you got to share it with your family and friends. Congrats again on a wonderful deer.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 8:00 pm

I like looking at the pict. Awesome Buck..... Man.
Back to top Go down
Snivs

Snivs

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Great buck. You definitely have a challenge in front of you to top that one.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 10:33 pm

What a buck, Congrats
Back to top Go down
BOWHUNTERCOP

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 8:34 pm

wow, what a great buck !!!
Back to top Go down
switchbackBBD16

PostSubject: there went some bragging rights...   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 7:51 pm

Well, my buck had held the lead for the "Big Buck Contest" provided by The Paper of Wabash for about 3 weeks...Haha!

I am a little bummed, but I'm happy for the guy that has topped me and taken the lead. Another 200+" buck taken from Wabash Co. I am extremely proud of the deer that I took this year and wouldn't ask for it to have been any different, but would have been nice to say that I took the biggest buck in the county for 2010...Oh well. This lucky hunter bagged this 26 scorable pt. 200 1/2" buck this past weekend. Congratulations to this lucky hunter on one heck of deer (still trying very hard not to be a little bitter scratch )

INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) WallenBuck

Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 10:22 am

I was pulling for you Ryan... Congrats to the hunter though on another fine deer. I assume he took his with a firearm?
Back to top Go down
JackHammer

JackHammer

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 10:52 am

I'm not sure if this buck was a bow kill or or not? But I wish that they would have 2 contest. 1. Bow and 2. For firearms, and Crossbow. But for the BOW hunters, a challenge in it's self to take a Buck like switckbackBBD16 did with a BOW, and for the hunters that hunt with everything else, the advantage is towards the hunter. I hunt with everything but crossbow as well, and to take nothing away from the new leader, or anyone else, I think it would be better/FAIR for 2 contest. Ths is only MY thought. Congrats to all in their succuss in hunting!!

Last edited by JackHammer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 11:42 am

JackHammer wrote:
I'm not sure if this buck was a bow kill or or not? But I wish that they would have 2 contest. 1. Bow and 2. For firearms, and Crossbow. But for the BOW hunters, a challenge in it's self to take a Buck like switckbackBBD16 did with a BOW, and for the hunters that hunt with everything else, the advantage is towards the hunter. I hunt with everything as well, and to take nothing away from the new leader, or anyone else, I think it would be better/FAIR for 2 contest. Ths is only MY thought. Congrats to all in their succuss in hunting!!

I would have to agree...
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 7:29 pm

big congrats to you that is a buck of a lifetime
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)   INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY) Empty

Back to top Go down

INDIANA MONSTER DOWN!!! (PICS & STORY)
Page 1 of 1