Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

What would you recommend

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jody

Jody

What would you recommend Empty
PostSubject: What would you recommend   What would you recommend EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 4:16 pm

I am very interested in going old school myself. I am leaning toward a recurve so what can some of you recommend for a bow (Black Widow, Mathews, etc...)? Do you get more speed from a recurve versus a long bow?
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: What would you recommend   What would you recommend EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 6:37 pm

Actaully Jody keep an open mind to several others out there. There may not be a better trad bow then a black widow but they are expensive. You can get great quality in a recurve or long bow with several other bow makers. I can even refer you to a custom bow maker that will make you the exact bow you want even down to string color and it shoots great. If it's your first go on trade stuff then I'd even consider used bows. Trad bows aren't like compounds in that even a 40 year old bow will shoot lights out if keep in good condition. An old Bear Grizzly is one of the best bows you can get. In my experience a recurve is a little easier to learn to shoot and a little easier to get good at shooting. I have both and love both but the first I'll take into a woods is a recurve. Do you know anyone up that way that shoots Trad bows cause if so you should go out and shoot with them and see what you think. They'll be able to help you see differences in bows and how they shoot. What I was told when I first started shooting was to go by a used 150 to 200 dollar bow and see what I thought. Well I got hooked but a lot of guys go away from it cause it's not easy to learn and get good at. Also if you want some killer cedar arrows there is a guy in Kentucky that makes them for about 80 a dozen with the tips and nocks and that's a good deal. You can pick whatever colors you want for the arrows as well. I think you'll like it and enjoy the challange of it. Not sure if I've helped or not but I'm more than open to answering questions
Back to top Go down
MRA

MRA

PostSubject: Re: What would you recommend   What would you recommend EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 8:42 pm

I am also interested in starting old school. Robert your reply was full of good info that i will definetly be able to use. ill be checking back for other replies.
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: What would you recommend   What would you recommend EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 9:54 pm

I'm glad I am able to help. I actually have a take down recurve I might be willing to sell. Just don't use it. It is a PSE blackhawk Heritage with 50 pound limbs and 60 pound limbs as well as a soft case. It's nice having two sets of limbs and it breaks down enough to fit into a back pack for longer hikes. Been debating on keeping it or not but I have several others. Bow is only a couple of years old and in mint condition. I'll post up some pictures if interested. Not looking for much out of it other than something in the 200 dollar range
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

PostSubject: Re: What would you recommend   What would you recommend EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 9:56 pm

I thought I would lean towards a recurve. When I take my new bow in for tuning, I will see if he has one I can shoot. Black Widow has a program were you can get a loaner to test out. You get refunded your money minus the shipping charge if you decide not to get it. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

PostSubject: Re: What would you recommend   What would you recommend EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 9:57 pm

Cool I am intrigued with the take down recurves too.
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: What would you recommend   What would you recommend EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 9:59 pm

As I said there isn't a better trad bow out there than the Black Widow. I've been lucky enough to shoot a couple. Just more than I can afford. That's a good program though and a great way to see if you like them. Good luck with the search
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

PostSubject: Re: What would you recommend   What would you recommend EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 10:03 pm

Post up a pic of your take down PSE. I would like to see it.
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: What would you recommend   What would you recommend EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 10:06 pm

i Will post up a couple tomorrow. Time for bed. 6am comes way to early. This way I can take my time and get some great pictures of it
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: What would you recommend   What would you recommend EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 5:50 pm

I am just getting into traditional archery myself. I have a long long way to go, as i no nothing about this. But i hope there are guy's on here who can help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you recommend   What would you recommend Empty

Back to top Go down

What would you recommend
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Whitetail Affliction :: Buck Fever :: Going Old School-
Jump to: