Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
    Lacrosse footwear
    Photobucket
    Carbon Express
    Photobucket
    Black Gold Sights
    Photobucket
    Nimrod Packs
    Photobucket
    SKB Bow and Gun Cases
    Photobucket
    Bohning Archery
    Photobucket
    G5 Broadheads
    Photobucket
    Scent Blocker
    Photobucket

Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!

Go down 
    +9
    TheRomer
    MOOSE
    Mark
    LawCoBowhunter
    Robert
    Dave
    mibigbuckhunter
    Darius
    Joe
    13 posters
    AuthorMessage
    Joe

Joe

Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! Empty
    PostSubject: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptySat May 09, 2009 3:40 pm

Got up early this morning to make the trip back home for the last time this season. I was really looking forward to this hunt and had a good feeling about this morning. After Thursdays close encounters I decided that Tommy should make the trip with me as well to try and make those stubborn gobblers come into range.

Get to the property earlier than I have been getting there because I knew it was going to take some time to get back to the field I wanted to set up on and get Tommy and his girlfriend set up. So about 6 am I am set up and up against a tree. Was a cool kinda rainy morning, but I knew I would at least hear some birds. Just like they always do, they started gobbling about 10 minutes after its light enough to see. They usually are always to the right on my set up when they roost, but funny thing was the was a gobbler letting loose from the direction I just walked from. I had to of walked under him on my way in but he never spooked. Anyways, the 4 to my right and now the one to my left gobble like they always do. Only problem was that if they followed this same routine they would soon go down the holler into a neighboring property. Just like they were reading the script you could hear them gradually working their way in that direction. I was a little let down at first but not really surprised. From what I have experienced is the gobblers usually come back once the hens leave them for the morning, so I was staying put. I kept calling every so often and they would respond but I could tell they were on the other ridge now. I then hear why. A hen directly behind me began to yelp and cut. Was very cool to hear her sounding off. But even with it being so cool not exactly what I needed. I needed her in front of me in the field. I just needed one boss gobbler to see Tommy and I knew it would be over.

This all kept going on for the next 20 minutes. Usually shortly after fly down the gobblers would still sound off but not as much as they were now. I figured that the hens on this property were done breeding and the gobblers were looking for other hens. So I pulled out the DB slate call and went into a calling sequence that a deaf turkey could hear. The woods erupted with gobbles. I knew I had a chance at getting a bird now. Called one more sequence.....same thing. Gave them the silent treatment and they just continued to gobble their brains out. Then I could def. tell they were getting closer. You could hear the echo from the holler I was set up on the top of. I could feel it now... a bird was coming and I had to try and calm down. Then for the next 5 minutes not a single peep. I let a yelp out on my mouth call and heard one gobbler from the same area they had been gobblin. But this time it was only one, not the two like before. Not a split second later a gobbler let loose 50 yards to my right, just on the other side of the fence and in the woods. I got my gun up quick and waited. Then I seen his bright red head through the fence. As soon as he seen Tommy he froze and just stared. Then he jumps up, flaps his wings, and lands on my side of the fence. I take Herschel off safety. He comes running off the woodline and straight to Tommy. Once he got face to face with Tommy, the poor decoy looked like it had exploded. With one powerful swing of the gobblers wings Tommys fan went flying off and he was laying sideways in the field. I couldn't take it anymore. As the gobbler stared down at Tommy I yelped on my mouth call and he threw his head up. BOOM. Game over. I jumped up and ran to him, even though no real need to but I wanted to get my hands on this bully. I was so pumped up!!! I am kinda glad no one was with me because I am sure I would have never lived it down. I thanked God, continuously said I can't believe it and did a little dance in the middle of an alpha hay field. After the celebration I picked up the beaten down Tommy and thanked him for taking one on the chin for me haha.

To say the least I am very excited about my last hunt of season. Yesterday I finish college and today I kill a great bird.

22 pounds 8 oz, 10.5 in beard, 15/16's spurs and one brawler of a turkey

Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! P5090013
    Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! P5090018
    Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! P5090019
    Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! P5090038

Last edited by Joe on Mon May 11, 2009 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    Darius

Darius

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptySat May 09, 2009 4:10 pm

That is so Awesome man. He looks alot bigger than in the txt pic. I knew there was one in there with your name on it. Congrats on a great kill. Next year there will be a similar story but with another gobbler and me next to it. Congrats again man. Can't believe you pulled him over that fence.
    Back to top Go down
    mibigbuckhunter

mibigbuckhunter

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptySat May 09, 2009 4:55 pm

A Big Congrats to you Joe. What a Beautiful looking bird. Way to make it count on the last day.
    Back to top Go down
    Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptySat May 09, 2009 6:10 pm

Awesome Joe! Congrats on a great bird!
    Back to top Go down
    Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptySat May 09, 2009 9:37 pm

congrats Joe. Nice bird
    Back to top Go down
    LawCoBowhunter

LawCoBowhunter

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptySun May 10, 2009 11:10 am

Congrats on a great bird!Love the blood on the call...I never could get on one,(besides a few hens)I'm ready for deer season...Seeing tons of those critters...
    Back to top Go down
    Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptySun May 10, 2009 12:21 pm

Congrts on the great bird Joe....

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
    Back to top Go down
    MOOSE

MOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptySun May 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Nice work Joe!!! It was a dandy bird, no doubt about it!!!
    Back to top Go down
    TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptySun May 10, 2009 10:41 pm

Very Nice Bird Joe, Congrats
    Back to top Go down
    volway

volway

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptyMon May 11, 2009 10:42 am

Great looking bird buddy.
    Back to top Go down
    oregonzach

oregonzach

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptyMon May 11, 2009 2:23 pm

Nice job Joe! Great story and GREAT BIRD!
    Back to top Go down
    Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptyMon May 11, 2009 3:45 pm

Thank ya folks. 2 hours after he bit the dust some of his breast was on the grill. Was AMAZING! Needless to say a whole bunch of it is in the fridge getting ready to be grilled for supper tonight.
    Back to top Go down
    Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptyMon May 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Darius wrote:
    Next year there will be a similar story but with another gobbler and me next to it. Congrats again man. Can't believe you pulled him over that fence.

You got that right man!!! Can't wait to chase them with you next season.
    Back to top Go down
    Mrs Volway

Mrs Volway

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptyTue May 12, 2009 9:52 am

Great bird ... congrats!

Christy
    Back to top Go down
    Early Morning Gobble

Early Morning Gobble

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! EmptyTue May 12, 2009 11:16 am

really nice bird...congrats on the bird ..sweet pics too
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!   Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Tommy got a whooping!! BBD!!
    Page 1 of 1