Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Target panic

Go down 
+8
shehuntsva
Tall Tine
TheRomer
Joe
Robert
Darius
Dave
Jody
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Jody

Jody

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Target panic   Target panic EmptyWed May 20, 2009 9:49 pm

This kind of coincides with my grip post. Target panic to me is the inability to release your arrow comfortably and naturally before the desired intension. While having grip issues and having to hold the sight pin on the target until impact has been something that has been happening to me over the last couple of years. Never once was I allowing the bow to fall naturally forward after the shot almost over exaggerating my follow through. Now I shoot a lot and I am very confident with my abilities, but every now and then I would hold so long on my target knowing I had to hold on the same point until the arrow met the target that at times I would jerk so bad anticipating the release that I would punch the trigger when the bow or sight pin was way off the target. Sounds crazy but I have experienced it.
Now I am sure there may be several reasons for target panic and many ways to correct it or overcome it but my grip was the whole problem. Mike said it well as I now use the 'Okie Dokie' grip (using the index finger only around the grip touching the thumb making an OK symbol). Tonight as I was shooting again using this new grip, I was releasing arrows as my sight pin rested on the intended target allowing the bow to fall forward naturally. No anticipation, no panic! I shot so consistent time after time, I was comfortable at 50 yards consistently hitting the heart on my Block 4x4. I was simply amazed and pleased. I actually was thinking the panic was caused by my release. I hope that my posts are helpful if even in the smallest way as we all experience issues from time to time. This is a great place to share and learn information as we all have this huge passion of hunting.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic EmptyWed May 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Great post Jody... I am right there with you. Your posts are great reminders of little things to focus on to make you a more accurate shooter. The best shooters in the world always are looking for techniques to make them shoot more consistantly and more accurately. To piggy back on what he said, don't be afraid to experiment with changes in your form if needed. The grip is a great eaxample, as well as the follow through. The most important thing is to find a style that works for you and one that you can easily repeat shot after shot. Jody sounds like he nows his stuff for sure and I appreciate the chance to possibly learn some things from him. We are lucky to have him on our staff...
Back to top Go down
Darius

Darius

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic EmptyWed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm

I know the feeling very well. I have even got to where I shoot consistent with targets but when there is a deer if front of me, I got to where I wanted to see if I hit it too quickly and pull my shot every time. I have passed that stage, but like you said the open grip helps alot. I grip the same way and it has helped tons for me.
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic EmptyWed May 20, 2009 10:18 pm

I have from time to time punched my release. Been lucky in avoiding target panic to this point but I saw a young man shooting once that had it so bad he could barely hit paper. I appreciate your insight to this problem and while I hope it doesn't happen to me I know that if it does I can get great answers
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic EmptyWed May 20, 2009 10:21 pm

I experienced it when I first began to bow hunt. I could not get over how close deer were to me and not know it. It took me that whole season to get used to not rushing my shot. I feel that I am over it to this point. Still get that rush when deer are on top of ya, but now I can focus on my shot routine.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic EmptyWed May 20, 2009 11:27 pm

I think it has happened to all of us at one point and probable will again.

So great post Jody,this is a great reminder
Back to top Go down
Tall Tine

Tall Tine

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic EmptyThu May 21, 2009 7:09 pm

I think I ran into this during archery league last winter. I was rushing and punching the trigger and finally I got myself figured out. Man it takes a while sometime. Great post Jody!
Back to top Go down
shehuntsva

shehuntsva

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 11:04 pm

I'm fighting TP right now myself. I have gotten better within the past couple of months, but it has been tough. I couldn't figure out why I was "freaking out" when I took a shot at a deer this past season. Well, once the season was over and we began to shoot 3D, it continued.

Once I realized it was TP, I have been trying some of the traditional suggestions; blind bailing, the answer release, etc. However, I have found that the best thing I have done so far has been just to shoot from the youth/ladies pegs. I have never shot from the close peg, but it has helped me alot.

I'm going to try the "ok" grip the next time I shoot and see if that makes a difference. At this point, I will try anything. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
patrkyhntr37

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 am

If you really want to help with target panic try a back tension release it really helps, i have recently been using one and really like it alot.
Back to top Go down
shehuntsva

shehuntsva

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 9:32 am

Oh...it's on now. I've got my MO-JO back!! I took my peep out and have been practicing everyday without it. Yesterday I finally felt like my old self again. We shot our open course (20 targets) and ended up only 11 points behind Brian. I'm back to taking 50+ yard shots and having no problem holding. Man I've missed this feeling. It's so great. Sorry to gush, but it has been a long time....

If I didn't have softball games tonight I would be right back out there...dang!
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 9:39 am

Great post it is always helpful to hear what other shooters are doing to help them it helps all of us out. I had alot of trouble about 4 years ago when I switched from shooting right handed to left handed. Im blind in my right eye and always had alot of trouble keeping good groups. I shoot my gun left handed and my buddy told me I should try my bow left handed since then I have been shooting very well much better than before. I had alot of trouble with the switch but with alot of practice and trying different things I could not be happier.
Back to top Go down
ron

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 7:53 am

JODY, THAT WAS A GREAT JOB FIGHTING YOUR PANIC. ITS NOT EASY, BUT THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAD TO DO. THE TWO FINGER HOLD IS A LIFE SAVER FOR MOST ALL OF US HUNTERS. KEEP UP THE PRACTICE, AND ADVICE, IM SURE WE ALL NEED INSIGHTS TO KEEP OUR PASSION ALIVE!
Back to top Go down
madarcher427

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 9:48 pm

i beleive everyone experiences it ,but its what you do after you experience that makes a difference case in point my buddy has it so bad he misses the entire 3-d target . but he wont listen to me .

there are many things to try & never give up .,blank bailing ,another is if you have more the one pin is use your 30 or 40 yd pin another is put up mulitple dots practice aiming but shooting at a diferent one each time also shooting close and gradually work yor way back

when i shoot with my buddy i experience & i even shoot worse when i shoot with him .but i try to do is reset my mind its 90% mental . what i mean is start from the basics clear your mind focus on the then pull until the release happens .

the best advice i read on here was try everything sometimes it might work for you & sometimes it dont .but i try everything anyone tells me

nice forum!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Target panic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Target panic   Target panic Empty

Back to top Go down

Target panic
Page 1 of 1