Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

One or Two?

Go down 
+21
whitetail pcs
dkoutdoors
LawCoBowhunter
Darius
mathewsguy
30pointbuck
mibigbuckhunter
RattleSnake
oaktree
Adam
oregonzach
Dave
TheRomer
Jody
Glenn
MRA
Robert
Corey
Mark
Tall Tine
Joe
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe

Joe

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu May 21, 2009 8:43 pm

When you shoot your bow do you keep both eyes open when looking through your peep to see your pins or close one? I was shooting at the range tonight and decided to try to keep both open. It actually felt very nice. I actually thought I could see my target and pin location actually better, if that makes any sense. Just thought I would see what everyone else did when they shoot.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tine

Tall Tine

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu May 21, 2009 8:51 pm

I actually started shootin with both eyes oen during archery league and I like it a lot. It took a little to get used to, but I seemed to get more consistant.
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:22 pm

One eye...... but been thinkin' about giving two a shot

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
Corey

Corey

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:42 pm

pirat
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:53 pm

I've tried both and prefer one. If I'm shooting something moving like a goose or something then I have both open so I can see my surrounding but for target and shooting at a stationary animal I shoot one. I focus better that way
Back to top Go down
MRA

MRA

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu May 21, 2009 9:56 pm

I shoot one eye but never thought of giving two eyes a try. Ive heard about it but im gonna try it now. Thanks for the idea Joe. \

Good reply Corey!!!
Back to top Go down
Glenn

Glenn

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu May 21, 2009 10:01 pm

Like most other things in shooting a bow , it's all about what you get used to.
From the very begining of my love for archery , even through my many years of shooting NFAA, ASA and IBO and my many years of hunting I've always shot with both eyes open, here is the reason why and it's very simple for me, when you are hunting and you are at full draw on your game, what ever it may be, with one eye closed you loose 50 % of your peripheral vision and you might just miss seeing something from the side with the closed eye. There have been a few times over all those years that I've seen movement from my left eye while takeing aim on a deer only to see something better come from the leftside.
And as hard as deer hunting can be, I want every advantage that I can get.

Don't want to change anyone's way of shooting but if you try and it's not for you then you have'nt lost anything by trying it.
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu May 21, 2009 10:03 pm

Great reply Glenn, and I couldn't agree more. It just makes sense you would see your target better with both eyes open. Just a matter of getting used to seeing your pin that way. I think I am going to stick with the two eye's open.
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu May 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Like Glenn said it is what you are used to. I have always closed one eye all my life and can't even imagine shooting anything with both eyes open.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm

I just started shooting with both eyes open last year, and it has helped my accuracy out alot. took alittle to get use to but boy did it help.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu May 21, 2009 10:20 pm

Good topic and good insight by all. I have always shot with both eyes open, mainly because I can't close my left eye and keep the ight one completely open. I can close the right one and keep the left completely open, so even though I am right handed, I shot a gun left handed... I know, another thing you guys can make fun of me about!
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu May 21, 2009 11:05 pm

I havn't tried it before, but it makes sense. Teaching yourself to keep both eyes open when shotgunning helps, I would think it would for archery also.
Back to top Go down
Adam

Adam

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptySat May 23, 2009 1:45 am

Always have used 2. Was taught that from the start and I also believe it is much easier in low light to focus through your pins and on the target you are shooting. I feel much more relaxed with both eyes open as well.
Back to top Go down
oaktree

oaktree

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptySat May 23, 2009 1:57 am

one eye.
Back to top Go down
RattleSnake

RattleSnake

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptySat May 23, 2009 3:39 am

I too have just started shooting both eyes open after shooting one for the last 28 years. I had always shot one eye because that was the way I was taught when I was a kid, but I recently started doing so for comfort. If a person were to look at it another way, with only one eye open, we tend to lose not only half our field of view as earlier stated, but it also costs us some DEPTH PERCEPTION! That all being said, I have noticed that it's harder for me to get used to shooting longer disntances with both open though. I am fine with it out to 30-35 yards, but when I get around 40 and up, it seems like I have to concentrate more. Of course it just couldn't be the aiming point gets that much smaller could it?? lol!
Back to top Go down
mibigbuckhunter

mibigbuckhunter

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptySat May 23, 2009 8:10 am

I have always shot with one eye as well.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Started out years ago shooting with one eye closed. Now i shoot with both eye's open, seem to be more consistant.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 8:16 am

well to be honest with you it does not matter to me if my right eye is open or closed leggally blind in it so cant tell the difference. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Darius

Darius

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 12:29 pm

I have always shot with just one eye open. I never had any problem with it so I never tried anything different. I just may try it though and see
Back to top Go down
LawCoBowhunter

LawCoBowhunter

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 10:15 pm

I used to shoot with one eye open in the early years,until I hooked with a good friend who told me I should try to keep both open...It really improved my shooting...I won't forget this one guy I use to shott 3-D with,he always wore a patch while shooting...
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptySun Jun 07, 2009 9:03 am

dave i was just reading back some of the post and notcied you said blind. Im blind in my right eye been that way since i was about 5 i am right handed but after getting my nose broke at the age of 10 with a slug guns and scope i quikly learned to shoot lefty i even shoot my bow left handed. Im sure the guys wont pic on you about that
Back to top Go down
dkoutdoors

dkoutdoors

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 8:18 am

both for me but I tend to have to close or squint my left eye sometimes to clear up the target, It is heck getting old, Robert you can relate LOL just kidding
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyMon Jun 08, 2009 9:35 am

I guess I need to learn a New trick......

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
whitetail pcs

whitetail pcs

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 5:35 am

I've always wondered what other people did, too. I actually thought that everyone shoots with just one eye open....learn something new everyday. I'll give it a try, myself!
Back to top Go down
MOOSE

MOOSE

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 12:58 pm

Being new to archery and pretty much teaching myself most of it through talking to my buddies and reading I hear a lot about the mechanics of shooting a bow. Most things I read say to keep both eyes open. I am working on it but it's still tough for me to do. Especially if there isn't much light to work with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

One or Two? Empty
PostSubject: Re: One or Two?   One or Two? Empty

Back to top Go down

One or Two?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Whitetail Affliction :: Buck Fever :: Bow Hunting. Sponsored by Bohning Archer-
Jump to: