Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Deer hunting Tactics

Go down 
+6
dkoutdoors
ron
Joe
PSE32
Adam
Darius
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Darius

Darius

Deer hunting Tactics Empty
PostSubject: Deer hunting Tactics   Deer hunting Tactics EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 11:45 am

From the way I was always taught to hunt, my dad always just told me you have to be in the right place at the right time. So therefore I patterned deer and based my hunting off that which to me is the basics of hunting. I have never gotten into using scents much till this passed year. I had a good friend introduce me to some new tactics using scents which turned out to be incredible. I saw more bucks in two days then I did in a normal week. I had them within 7 yards of my stand. It made me a firm believer in using scents, especially because the first time I used it I decided to wait and hunt normal of a morning and if no luck try the scents. So after to no luck all morning, I pulled out the scent and the woods went nuts. I'd like to hear some of your different tactics to bringing that monster in. I am always open to new ideas. What kind of scents do you all use and how?
Back to top Go down
Adam

Adam

PostSubject: Re: Deer hunting Tactics   Deer hunting Tactics EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 11:51 am

You are right about being at the right place at the right time. Also I to believe scents can be affective if applied correctly. Be very careful not to overuse scent and a little goes a long way. I think big bucks are very sensitive when it comes to a hunter being in their core area therefore the element of surprise is a must. I don't like to over hunt an area too much but sometimes I just can't help it, especially when I know a big buck is there. Big bucks are very aware of their surroundings I have learned and therefore every precaution must be made.

I am still working on these tactics, but I think it will pay off in the long run. Great post!
Back to top Go down
PSE32

PSE32

PostSubject: Re: Deer hunting Tactics   Deer hunting Tactics EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:06 pm

I couldnt agree with you more. Being in the right place at the right time is crutial. But thats all about preperation. And I feel using scents is kinda the same thing, there is a right place and right time for it, and like Adam said, dont over do it. There is also stands that I will hunt in every year, I feel if there is the right amount of food, shelter, and water around for the deer they are going to be there. Great post!
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Deer hunting Tactics   Deer hunting Tactics EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:21 pm

I use scents taken from a local business here in Indianapolis. It is called Hoosier trapper supply and as soon as you open the bottle to use you can def. tell it is fresh lol. Another tactic I like to use are calls. A couple years ago I thought calls really didn't do anything. One slow morning a decided to give some can and grunts a call. I had a small buck come directly to my tree within 5 minutes. He knew what he heard when I turned over the can...he moved on to the bedding area and I watched him chase 2 does for 15 minutes. He ran them all over the place. He couldn't understand why they wouldn't stop for him since they were sounding off estrous bleats:)
Back to top Go down
ron

PostSubject: Re: Deer hunting Tactics   Deer hunting Tactics EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 7:19 am

I ALSO USE SCENTS, THEY GIVE A ADVANTAGE TO EVERY HUNTER THAT USES THEM. BUT ONLY THE RIGHT SCENT, AT THE RIGHT TIME OF YEAR. STRIAGHT UP DEER URINE-PRE RUT. ESTROUS SCENT IN THE RUT, AND POST RUT. MY FAVORITE GAME IS CALLS AND RATTLEING. ONE MORNING, OCT. 17, I GRUNTED IN A YOUNG 6 POINT, THAT I COULD HAVE TOUCHED WHILE LEANING AGAINST A TREE. RATTLED UP A 2 YEAR OLD WITHIN 17 YARDS, AND FINNALY GRUNTING, AND RATTLEING BROUGHT IN THE 10 POINT I WHAS LOOKING FOR. MADE THE SHOT AT 5 PACES. ALITTLE LUCK AND PATEINCE WITH THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF COAXING, CAN GIVE BIG REWARDS TO THE SAVY BOW HUNTER! GOOD LUCK TO EVERY ONE THIS SEASON!
Back to top Go down
dkoutdoors

dkoutdoors

PostSubject: Re: Deer hunting Tactics   Deer hunting Tactics EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 12:29 pm

definately right about being in the right place at the right time, thats for sure, I use scents as well and I use them year round in fron t of my trail cam an what I do is make a mock scrape an use a mild scrape conditioner and the deer will hit it all year round, I am a big mock scrape user its not 100% but it does work well thats for sure
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Deer hunting Tactics   Deer hunting Tactics EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 1:32 pm

Great topic Darius, with some good information shared by all!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tine

Tall Tine

PostSubject: Re: Deer hunting Tactics   Deer hunting Tactics EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Good topic for sure! I have never really had much luck using scents, so I quit using them.
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

PostSubject: Re: Deer hunting Tactics   Deer hunting Tactics EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 9:13 pm

I would like to be more successful using scents and making mock scrapes. I have had good luck calling even using a doe bleat bringing some bucks. Funny how they react to it even if it's just curiousity.
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: Deer hunting Tactics   Deer hunting Tactics EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 10:03 pm

All these are great ways to bring in deer. I started deer hunting 27 years ago and I still feel like I know very little about it. Each year I try to make sure I learn something new and each year I find out that there are 800 things I still need to learn. One thing my father taught me from day one is there is no subsitute for time in the woods. Time scouting and preparing and time in the stand. All the big buck killers I know have that one common thing, they all spend a good deal of time in the woods. Usually more than most. For every one buck we trick with a scent or a call, there are 10 more that don't fall for it. I use calls and scents for the advantage they give and I scout with camera's and scrapes. But in my opinion you can't replace TIME in the woods
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deer hunting Tactics   Deer hunting Tactics Empty

Back to top Go down

Deer hunting Tactics
Page 1 of 1