Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...

Go down 
+6
littleslink
Robert
Adam
mathewsguy
TheRomer
Green Valley Gobbler
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Green Valley Gobbler

Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... Empty
PostSubject: Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...   Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 9:55 pm

I've always wondered just how many bucks die of old age or natural causes in the remote mountains of Pennsylvania well within the steep side hills and laurel infested ridgetops. Well this past spring while on a shed hunting outing I came across something that I have been wanting to find and is very unique to say the least. I came across an old buck that succombed to the rigors of the deep snow and extremely frigid temperatures we had this past winter. When I found him in mid-April the coyotes had him torn apart and he was decomposing pretty rapidly, unfortunately he had shed his antlers. Luckily the entire head and jawbone were intact and I was able get a look at his teeth for eruption wear analysis, which is fairly inaccurate at that age, but due to extreme wear I guessed him to be extremely old. I guessed him to be in the neighborhood of 10 to 15 years old. I did pull an incisor tooth and sent it in for further anyalysis. Well yesterday I received results back...

"We have completed processing on the whitetail deer specimen you submitted on June 5, 2009 for forensic aging. We promised to have the results back to you by October 5, 2009. The cementum-annuli analysis has determined that the age of your “2009 Winter Find” buck is 10.5 years. The cementum lines are very distinct. We will be sending you a paper copy of this e-mail via the US Post Office. If you have any questions, or if we can be of additional assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for doing business with us again this year."

I would love to be able to know more about him and his life and the encounters and situations he has been in. At 10 years old, that would mean he would have been born in 1998. Just think of the things he has seen; winters, hot summers and insects, other bucks he buddied with, and near brushes with death he experienced until mother nature finally took hold of him. An animal that definitely deserves our utmost respect. Here are a few pictures of him from mid-April...
Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... DSC082861
Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... DSC082981
Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... DSC08256-crop1
Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... DSC087791
Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... DSC087821
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...   Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:08 pm

Thats is cool. just doing all that to find out his true age is awesome, good job
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...   Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:36 pm

I agree that is very cool. That guy had been around along time
Back to top Go down
Adam

Adam

PostSubject: Re: Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...   Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 1:21 am

Cory,

Wow that is an incredible story. Thanks for your pictures as well. That just goes to show how elusive these animals are and what they go through. Nice Job!
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...   Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 6:59 am

Great story on a great deer. That is one old buck
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

PostSubject: Re: Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...   Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 8:53 am

Man, that's something. I bet he got with a lot of does in his time and he has a lot of kids running around...
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

PostSubject: Re: Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...   Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 9:08 am

That is a great find and story. 10.5 years old is no that common I would think. Too bad you did not have the sheds from the past year either as that would have been sweet. It is nice to see the respect you have paid to this monster. Thanks for sharing the story and pics with us.
Back to top Go down
Early Morning Gobble

Early Morning Gobble

PostSubject: Re: Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...   Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 1:48 pm

nice story and pics Cory. 10.5 years old wow.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...   Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Jody wrote:
That is a great find and story. 10.5 years old is no that common I would think. Too bad you did not have the sheds from the past year either as that would have been sweet. It is nice to see the respect you have paid to this monster. Thanks for sharing the story and pics with us.

Well said!
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...   Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 9:18 am

Def. was an old timer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...   Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch... Empty

Back to top Go down

Fallen Pennsylvania Public Land Monarch...
Page 1 of 1