Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Opening Day in Tennessee

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mrs Volway

Mrs Volway

Opening Day in Tennessee Empty
PostSubject: Opening Day in Tennessee   Opening Day in Tennessee EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 4:20 pm

Let's just say opening day in Middle TN was not perfect for turkey hunting. It was raining when the alarm went off. I got up to watch the TV, Mr. Volway was right behind me. We finally decided not to go because of wind & rain, so I went back to bed. 6:30, Mr. volway is waking me up and telling me its time. We snuck into the woods to our blind and sat, and sat, and sat some more. Mr. Volway called, and called and called some more .... NOTHING! I finally saw some by accident. The bugs were getting bad, so Mr. Volway stood up to hang the thermacell up on the roof brace of the blind, I peeked around the curtain and saw some hens moving BEHIND our blinds down the hill. Mr. Volway called, called and called. They disappeared! UGH. We sat for about 6 hours. Left the woods, got a bite to eat and headed back around 2:30. We sat with no action till about 5:30 when severe storms ran us out of the woods.

Sunday it was too cold for me. I would have gone, but wouldn't have been too happy. We waited till about 12:30 and decided to run&gun. So, Mr. Volway, me, our neighbor and his grandson headed out for our long walk to a field we had found that was covered in turkey poop about a month earlier. Just knowing we could catch them there ... nope! Not a single bird. When Mr. Volway hit the crow call, we heard some goobles, but with the wind conditions in Mid-TN Sunday afternoon, it was really hard to hear where they were. So we set up the decoys and hunkered down on some trees. We sat for a while and I was starting to get cold. So we left.

Around 5:00, our neighbor calls and says there are a bunch of hens & 4 big Toms behind his house headed toward ours. We throw on clothes and head out with the gun. Mr. Volway has the decoys and daughter and I duck walk all the way down the side of the ridge trying to beat the turkey's across. We sat for a while, Mr. Volway called and nothing .... the stupid turkeys disappeared again!

Mr. Volway went scouting some more yesterday afternoon, guess looking for the tunnel the turkeys are using to get from one ridge to another Laughing . Today is raining. Tomorrow is going to be nice, but we're going to UFC. Thursday is rain .. maybe Friday and/or Saturday will be better.

Personally, I don't think the turkeys are fired up yet. We can usually get them to answer to just about any noise around our house. Daughter (Em) is trying to learn a mouth call and when the turkeys are fired up, they'd respond even to her. Mr. Volway says another good week of warm weather and we should be okay.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Opening Day in Tennessee   Opening Day in Tennessee EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 4:33 pm

Srry for the luck, the weather can be a good thing and sometimes a bad thing.

there is plenty of time left and i know you guys will get on them, GOOD LUCK on the next trip
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Opening Day in Tennessee   Opening Day in Tennessee EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks for the update... Good luck to you and your husband!
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: Opening Day in Tennessee   Opening Day in Tennessee EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 6:17 pm

Keep the updates coming. I'm sure the birds will come around
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Opening Day in Tennessee   Opening Day in Tennessee EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 2:24 am

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opening Day in Tennessee   Opening Day in Tennessee Empty

Back to top Go down

Opening Day in Tennessee
Page 1 of 1