Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

outdoor camera packages?????

Go down 
+3
The Guide
Mark
ddhgator
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ddhgator

ddhgator

outdoor camera packages????? Empty
PostSubject: outdoor camera packages?????   outdoor camera packages????? EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 10:59 am

I have a Question, I have used a Sony (miniDV) camera before, not for hunting...I have done lots of audio editing with Final cut pro (mac) and a little video editing with final cut pro.....
I am looking at the camera packages from campbellcameras.com, the sony and canon packages look pretty good.....I also am thinking about the editing software campbell is fixing to release...

On the cameras, I want HD, smaller if possible, (miniDV will do) but, I would like a memory stick (atleast 16gig) option......it just easier to drag and drop video from a source then log and capture.......
with all that being said.......is there anybody out there that does alot of filming and editing......in the woods....that can give me some opions, and recomendations.......on which camera packages (with options above) that would best work......
I have done a lot of filming but all inside......just need input on the move to outdoors...

thanks for reading all this and any input or advice
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: outdoor camera packages?????   outdoor camera packages????? EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 11:54 am

most the guys I know film with tape not memory sticks..... why I'm not 100% sure.

but Canon XHA1 is one of the stanards for outdoor filming.....it will record to tape and has a 16 g card also

I use Pinnacle for editing......Sony Vegas is very popular also

also I believe Final Cut is one of the better ones for editing

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
ddhgator

ddhgator

PostSubject: Re: outdoor camera packages?????   outdoor camera packages????? EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Thank you
For the help
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

PostSubject: Re: outdoor camera packages?????   outdoor camera packages????? EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Talk to Cammoed Assassin. He had just bought a Cannon Vixa HD from Campbells. Don't know if you want to go that small. I know he has only had it for a week but from what we have seen it looks like a pretty nice camera. I do know that it takes up to a 32gig sd card. He might be able to help a little more than I can, I have only played with it for about an hour so I don't know much about it.
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: outdoor camera packages?????   outdoor camera packages????? EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 7:24 pm

The biggest reason for everyone using tape is that the format is very basic and all software can read it. Plus if you end up filming for one of the shows or dvd's then they just want the tape sent to them. They don't really like to hassle with various formats that a file can come in from other sources. Good camera's are ones like the XHA1 from Canon or the Canon HV30 or 40, The HV series is small but stil gives you high quality and wont break the bank. You can still add a shotgun to it and it records onto Mini DV. As far at memory stick you are mainly just looking at Sony on those. I am not aware of any other camera's that use it. The Canon's use a SD or micro SD depending on the camera you get.
Now on software, which is my bread and butter as I do something along that line for a living, I would probably give the campbells program a year or two. Most new software coming out will have some big time bugs that need worked out. The advantage to using something like Pinnacle, Vegas or the Mac software is that they've had time to work out bugs over several versions plus they have a bunch of add on programs that will enhance your post editing work. They also have very good customer support and usually will have folks well informed. I use Pinnacle 12.1 and it's a powerful editing program as well as fast and easy support that is free for online chat and most other issues. My suggestion would be to stick with MiniDV and with Sony or Canon. Both are proven in the field and you wont run into file type issues on your computer. Mark and I have been filming in the woods for three years together now and we've made about all the mistakes including wrong camera's and file types. Best of luck with your choice and please feel free to ask any questions you might have. Also get yourself a good Muddy camera arm. You'll thank me later
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: outdoor camera packages?????   outdoor camera packages????? EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 7:37 pm

I don't use a memory card but all my film goes onto a hard drive. When I first began looking at cameras I thought about the tapes rote but decided not to. A lot of the guys I know who film do use tapes and have great success with them. I prefer the hard drive. I use iMovie on a iMac so when I film somthing I simply connect it to my mac and drag it over to the editing software. The process takes about 3 minutes and its is ready to be edited. It does take a little longer if you shot your footage in HD format, but still not long at all compared to other softwares. I have never have had a problem as far as editing with it. Actually very very simple.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: outdoor camera packages?????   outdoor camera packages????? EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Lots of great advice...
Back to top Go down
ddhgator

ddhgator

PostSubject: Re: outdoor camera packages?????   outdoor camera packages????? EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 9:00 pm

Thanks Guys,
Alot of good info, i am greatfull for your time and input...

I do know that sonys use the memory stick....I meant....any camera, that uses a card type storge, as well as a tape...via SD, or micro, memorystick...
but you guys did answer my questions on that.....I have read alot about the canons, and campbells packages look very reasonable.....

thanks for the advice on the editing software.....

Once again...
Thanks alot..
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: outdoor camera packages?????   outdoor camera packages????? EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 9:27 pm

I just got the Canon VIXIA HFS100. I don't have alot of experience like the other guys on here so don't by any means take my word for to far. We have played around with it and it shoots nice video, much better than we had last year, It doesn't have great low light capabilities, especially when zoomed. I have not tried to upload or edit anything yet so I can not attest to the editing or file transfer issues. All I know is that for the money I spent, I believe that it will do fine for a year or two until we get more expirience, then I pulling the trigger on a XHA like I wanted to until Mama spent all my $ at the beach. If you have the money I would get the XHA. I have heard nothing but good things about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: outdoor camera packages?????   outdoor camera packages????? Empty

Back to top Go down

outdoor camera packages?????
Page 1 of 1