Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

need advice

Go down 
+6
Camoed Assassin
Robert
Jody
G3
mathewsguy
botzitaliano
10 posters
AuthorMessage
botzitaliano

need advice Empty
PostSubject: need advice   need advice EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 11:56 am

hey all im fairly new to the world of bow hunting, so i hope y'all can help out. the other day i was out in the stand with that swirling wind in nj. had a few does under me for a good 45 minutes. they had no clue i even existed. then right before night fall in comes the bigest buck i ever seen on the property. he came in head on and stopped at 35 yards. he looked up and jumped back like he got spooked. he didnt run away completely he stayed in heavy cover about 50-60 yerds away, then ran away snorting when i got out of my stand. my question to you is first what happened? and should i move the stand or just give it time? since that day i was up in my other stand and on the ground. look forward to hearing your replies. thanks.
-mike-
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need advice   need advice EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 12:00 pm

I would give that stand a few days to calm down. A old buck is alot smarter and sometimes they can just sense things. There is a good chance that he smelled you. Best thing to do is give it some time. Good luck getting back on him. Do you know if he looked up at you in the tree? If he did you may want to move the stand
Back to top Go down
G3

G3

need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need advice   need advice EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 12:22 pm

If I had to guess I would say swirling winds with the evening thermals put a big whiff of human in his nostrils, It's hard to say if he will go by that stand again, depends on the deer. I have seen times when they show back up the next day and other deer will not go that way again at all. Good luck with him!
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need advice   need advice EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 12:28 pm

They are at another level aren't they? They see or hear something out of place and it's over. I would let it calm down. Do you have any trail cameras? They may be able to help.
Back to top Go down
botzitaliano

need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need advice   need advice EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 12:39 pm

they really are getting smarter. i do not have any trail cameras but i was thinking of purchasing one and now i think it would be a good investment
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need advice   need advice EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 1:02 pm

sounds like he got a good sniff of you and it caught him by surprise
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need advice   need advice EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 1:24 pm

I'm with the rest of thew guys. He probablly smelled you and you should let it rest for at least a week. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher

need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need advice   need advice EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Agree 100% with the thermal analogy. In the evenings as the sun goes down, the humidity in the air will begin to settle back toward the ground. This is what gives us dew, frost etc. Those does may not have busted you due to there still being an updraft in the air thermals. the wind may have been blowing their way, but the updrafting thermals kept your scent above them at ground level.

As the evening progresses, temperatures fall and the humidity settles, taking any scent that you may be shelling out with it.

Happens to all of us..
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need advice   need advice EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 4:05 pm

He got a nose full sounds like it. Give him some time and get back in there when the wind is in your favor.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need advice   need advice EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 5:41 pm

My opinion is you probably out to move the stand at miday if you can get in there and do it quietly and quickly. My experience is once a deer pinpoints a stand location, they will usualy always look up at it when they walk into the area. Also make sure you have a good backdrop in the new tree you choose, so you blend in well. Good luck to you!
Back to top Go down
Early Morning Gobble

Early Morning Gobble

need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need advice   need advice EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 3:17 pm

some good posts before me and i agree that he smelled you..give it a few days then go back and see if he is still there. You can even put a trail camera up and see if he shows back up in the evening hours.
Back to top Go down
botzitaliano

need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need advice   need advice EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 8:00 pm

thanks alot guys for all your input. hopefully i see him soon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: need advice   need advice Empty

Back to top Go down

need advice
Page 1 of 1