Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Heading to Illinois

Go down 
+10
TheRomer
druss09
Jody
volway
Camoed Assassin
shehuntsva
Early Morning Gobble
mathewsguy
Joe
littleslink
14 posters
AuthorMessage
littleslink

littleslink

Heading to Illinois Empty
PostSubject: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 12:00 pm

I have almost everything packed, and I am leaving on Friday morning from PA to head out west to hunt for a week in Illinois. I will be hunting from Saturday the 30th of October until Saturday the 7th of November. The full moon is on Monday the 2nd, and the weather looks like it will cooperate, with temps in the 40s and low 50s with an occasional shower. Because of the moon and the rut, I plan on being in the stand from dawn until dusk, but I was looking for some advice on how to hunt the midwest at this time of year. Grunt? Rattle? Bleat? What scents work best? Hunt food? Bottle necks? Field edges? As many of you on hear are from the Midwest, could you help me out with a little advice, because Midwest hunting is very different from the PA hunting that I am used to? Thanks. I look forward to reading all of your responses...
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Boy oh boy your coming during a good time. Deer here in Indiana are really starting to feel it so I am sure its the same to our neighbors. With the rutting moon hitting I would think you will have a great chance on getting on some deer. I will be breaking out the scents and horns this weekend. Good luck and let us know how you do!
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Good luck i hope you get a good one. Have a good and safe trip
Back to top Go down
Early Morning Gobble

Early Morning Gobble

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Good Luck AJ...
Back to top Go down
shehuntsva

shehuntsva

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 3:49 pm

Great timing! I've never hunted out that way, so I can't give you any good advice except to enjoy yourself and good luck!
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Every year I go out there the between the 2nd and 3rd week of Nov. I have had some success with just about everything, calls, scents and just sitting in the tree patiently. Good luck to you.
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 pm

Good luck to ya,I'm usually up there with CA,There's not a place like it,Except for maybe Iowa. I'm gonna be trying out one of the sleeper states Indiana,Leaving next Wed for that hunt,Can't wait to see what they have to offer.Good luck to ya,and carry every call you have.
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 8:16 pm

Hey good luck!! I am off all next week myself. You may be in luck as I feel the bucks are moving in Wi (as long as the weather keeps cooperating) so by next week you may see some dandys in Illinois. BUT I have a couple friends down there and they are complaining of like 85-90% corn and beans still standing so no deer yet. Good luck to you!
Back to top Go down
druss09

PostSubject: awsome time !!!   Heading to Illinois EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 8:23 pm

I've talked to alot of people up that way and the 1st thru the 15th of november is definately the time to be there !! I would say just about every thing u could do to try to increase your chances, prob wouldn't hurt .. Best of luck to you !! Be safe ..
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 8:30 pm

This is the Booner I was lucky enough to harvest up there 2yrs ago.1st one is Don (CA) and myself.
Heading to Illinois PICT1275

Heading to Illinois Illinois_2007_021_Small2
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 8:52 pm

good luck out there. you are hitting at a good time, my best advice would have to be stay out there as long as you can the bucks will be up and searching.
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 9:27 am

Thanks guys. From the sound of it, I should try to find a cut field, put out lots of scent, and make lots of noise, sit up there all day, and the bucks should come right in...
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 9:46 am

Good luck to you... I hope you score a big one. Just hunt hard and keep your eyes open. Cant wait to see the pics!
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 11:05 am

Good luck, this next week is my favorite time of the year! Never had much success rattling, but they sure respond to grunts for me. Don't underestimate the deer movement in late morning-early afternoon also. Never hunted IL, you're going to have a blast!
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 1:59 pm

I just talked the farmer where I am going to hunt, and he said the weather has been really lousy this week, and like Jody said, most of their crops are still standing. They are going to harvest a bunch of corn when I am out there next week. What kind of affect does the farm equipment have on the deer? Is it like the ice cream truck driving by that sends all the little kids running for the goodies? meaning... can I hunt the cut corn field the same night? Or do I have to give it a couple of days to cool off? I am use to hunting the high pressured bucks in PA here, where any sign of human activity sends them away...
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 3:11 pm

littleslink wrote:
I just talked the farmer where I am going to hunt, and he said the weather has been really lousy this week, and like Jody said, most of their crops are still standing. They are going to harvest a bunch of corn when I am out there next week. What kind of affect does the farm equipment have on the deer? Is it like the ice cream truck driving by that sends all the little kids running for the goodies? meaning... can I hunt the cut corn field the same night? Or do I have to give it a couple of days to cool off? I am use to hunting the high pressured bucks in PA here, where any sign of human activity sends them away...
All I can say is be on your toes,Cause when they start combineing those fields Deer will be everywhere.
Back to top Go down
LawCoBowhunter

LawCoBowhunter

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 3:11 pm

Good luck!I have seen deer the same evening in corn and bean fields were cut...I wish they would get to cutting the ones around here...
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 5:22 pm

Volway is dead on the money. The equipment has no effect on deer. You can hunt the same day as they cut the corn and it should have no effect. The mature bucks may hang up if they are still out harvesting but the next night I would be ready at all time. Good luck and I can not wait to see how you did.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 7:42 pm

From what I have seen, they dont mind the farm equipment at all. As soon as its gone they get back to their normal routine. I have had deer around while they were plowing the feilds.
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 9:04 am

Well, the truck is packed and we are ready to go. All I need to do is struggle through about 2 more hours of work here and then we're off. 750 miles. 12 hr drive. But it will be worth it when we get there. It does look like we have a pretty good rain storm to drive through on our way out. I'm glad the storm is on its way out as opposed to its way in though. Should be a good week with the weather cooperating and the crop havesting and the rut having the deer on their feet. I believe there is internet out there, so I will keep you guys updated. Illinois, here I come...
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 11:56 am

volway wrote:
littleslink wrote:
All I can say is be on your toes,Cause when they start combineing those fields Deer will be everywhere.

Yes sir, it's like a dinner bell! Deer do not seem to mind the farm vehicles from what I see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heading to Illinois   Heading to Illinois Empty

Back to top Go down

Heading to Illinois
Page 1 of 1