Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Yesterday Afternoons Hunt

Go down 
+6
Camoed Assassin
The Guide
Joe
oregonzach
mathewsguy
Dave
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave

Dave

Yesterday Afternoons Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Yesterday Afternoons Hunt   Yesterday Afternoons Hunt EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 3:22 pm

I have a friend from my Bible study who had never been hunting before and wanted to go sometime, so last night was the night. I got home form running to get the oil changed in my car at 5:00 and told him I was picking him up. I had everything for him... boots, camo pants, gloves, hat, jacket, and most importantly a harness. Once we got to the place we were hunting we got all ready and I took the Muddy stand on my back and we headed in.

Since it was so late I did not want to push it in too far, so I choose one of my stands that was a short walk into the woods after we walked several hundred yards beside a corn field. He waited at the bottom while I climbed up and secures the Muddy up high and angled back...

I put some backpack straps on the stand and I had it on my back when I climbed up the tree... Once I got on the platform of the existing stand I took the Muddy off my back and attached it about 2 feet above the seat of the existing stand but 90 degrees away from the way the existing stand faced (basically straight over the climbing steps). Once I had it secured, I hooked my tether belt and strap to the tree above it and I had to step up on the existing stand seat and then up on to the Muddy platform. It was great with no noise or any platform slippage. My buddy then finally made his way up into the bottom stand. This was the first time he had ever climbed a tree, so the going was a little rougher. He had to stop and gain his composure on the way up several times. Finally he got on the platform and I made sure I had his rope tether secured to the tree. Before we got in there I told him that if deer came through they would probably look up so I told him to be really still...

I motioned for him to pull my bow up and I got it off the rope. I had to hold the bow the whole time since I did not have a hook that high in the tree. Basically we sat there for about 45 minutes and then 3 does came by at about 30 yards and then went out into a picked bean field. A little after the does came a small racked, but decent bodied buck that I had seen once before earlier in the month. We got to watch him for a while. He went to the field edge and where the does had went out and he watched the does for a few and then he went back into the thicker stuff about 45 yards away and worked a rub. My buddy did a good job of staying quiet and still. He never stood up the whole time he was in the stand (I think partly because he was afraid too).

The does stayed around and they were still out in the bean field when darkness cam so I told him that we wanted to be quiet on the way out so we would not boost anything up on the way out. He climbed down and I took down the Muddy stand. What a great set up and take down stand!

He was really happy about the hunt. Later on we watched the Game 1 and it was funny to listen to him tell his wife about the experience. All in all it was a good experience and I was glad that I was able to share with him a little bit of what I am passionate about. Who knows maybe next year he will be pulling his own bow up with a rope?
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Yesterday Afternoons Hunt   Yesterday Afternoons Hunt EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 3:28 pm

sounds like a great time man.
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

PostSubject: Re: Yesterday Afternoons Hunt   Yesterday Afternoons Hunt EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 3:29 pm

That sounds awesome Dave! Introducing someone into our sport is one of the best things we can do.
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Yesterday Afternoons Hunt   Yesterday Afternoons Hunt EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 3:53 pm

Sounds like a good time.
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

PostSubject: Re: Yesterday Afternoons Hunt   Yesterday Afternoons Hunt EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Cool. It is always nice to introduce someone new to our sport.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Yesterday Afternoons Hunt   Yesterday Afternoons Hunt EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 7:38 pm

Sounds like you're gonna have a student on your hands.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Yesterday Afternoons Hunt   Yesterday Afternoons Hunt EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 8:19 pm

oregonzach wrote:
That sounds awesome Dave! Introducing someone into our sport is one of the best things we can do.

X2 Good job Dave
Back to top Go down
MOOSE

MOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Yesterday Afternoons Hunt   Yesterday Afternoons Hunt EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 9:04 pm

That's really cool Dave. A buddy is thinking about hunting gun season and is wanting me to help him out which I will be glad to do. My older brother is also starting to show some interest so I'm gonna try to get him to sit in on a hunt with him this year.
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

PostSubject: Re: Yesterday Afternoons Hunt   Yesterday Afternoons Hunt EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 12:10 am

Always fun taking someone new to the woods.
Back to top Go down
shehuntsva

shehuntsva

PostSubject: Re: Yesterday Afternoons Hunt   Yesterday Afternoons Hunt EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 10:20 am

That's great! I'm sure he will be back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yesterday Afternoons Hunt   Yesterday Afternoons Hunt Empty

Back to top Go down

Yesterday Afternoons Hunt
Page 1 of 1