Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Sitka deer hunting

Go down 
+7
Robert
mathewsguy
volway
30pointbuck
TheRomer
Dave
Camoed Assassin
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Anybody ever been sitka deer hunting. We have these little things running around our eastern shore and their numbers are getting pretty good. They were brought here from somewhere in Aisia years ago and now they are running wild and their population has been steadily expanding. If you are not familiar with them they are like little elk, but they live in the marshes/swamps. I'm thinking of trying to hunt these little guys this fall.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:43 pm

What type of season do they have? If you do, make sure you get some footage and share your tactics...
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:45 pm

I have never hunted them, but know what you are talking about. they sure do look like mini elk.

I would go after them if I had the chance
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:48 pm

We sure will have the cameras rolling. Their season is the same as our deer season. Sept. 15 - Jan 31. Romer come on down, I dont have any spots to hunt them so we are going with an outfitter. It's only $185 a day. Going to call about booking something tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm

I haven't only on XBOX. LOL But i would love to.
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Camoed Assassin wrote:
We sure will have the cameras rolling. Their season is the same as our deer season. Sept. 15 - Jan 31. Romer come on down, I dont have any spots to hunt them so we are going with an outfitter. It's only $185 a day. Going to call about booking something tomorrow.

Sounds like a WA hunt to me @ that price surely we could all get together for 2 or 3 days. Get all the info you can Don and let me know something,I'm down for hanging one on the wall (or trying to anyways)

Last edited by volway on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Let me know who's interested and I'll see if I can't haggle the price down a bit.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:19 pm

I would love too! However with the baby conming around that time, I am not sure if it would be feasible. Keep me in the loop though.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:23 pm

That would be something that would be a fun time. I have seen them on tv. I think they are really hard to hunt but it would be fun
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:27 pm

mathewsguy wrote:
That would be something that would be a fun time. I have seen them on tv. I think they are really hard to hunt but it would be fun

They are pretty nocturnal but they been having pretty good success lately. I know some places use feeders, it's legal in Md.
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:33 pm

This idea has me going. Anyone wanna share a ride
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:35 pm

Robert wrote:

If I can get away...
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:42 pm

Dave wrote:
Robert wrote:

If I can get away...

I don't mean this in any bad way at all but something tells me you aren't going to far from home this fall. wink wink. The Chamberlain family has more important things happening then a hunt but if you work it out then you are more than welcome in my truck anytime. There is plenty of room in the back for several Sitka
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:32 am

I know very little about them. Didn't even know MD has them free roaming. Anyone know what time of year they rut? If it's early that'll fit my schedule nicely. If they carry on like elk that's only a 5 hour drive VS 35 hours.
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 11:59 am

What about hunting them on public ground? After a little poking around there seems to be a few large public WMA's to hunt them on.
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm

I had some friends hunt them on public ground and they are hard to pattern and get to. I don't know if the $185 includes lodging or not but that price is hard to beat when the stands are already hung and they take you to them. I have never been there to hunt them but they say that they are tough if you don't know where to go. Now don't get me wrong they have killed some out of there but they also have been going to down there for a couple of years and know where to go.
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 3:56 pm

Well sitkas deer are a subspecies of blacktails that are from the alaska coastal area. I grew up hunting blacktails and they are definitely not as easy to pattern as whitetails. They stick to the woods more than the fields. If you can get that price with an outfitter with a pretty good success rate I WILL go with you!
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 6:31 pm

The one place I called today run at about 48% shot opp. and it's bow only. I'm gonna call a few others tonight.
Back to top Go down
Snivs

Snivs

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:06 pm

You already know i'm in. What The Guide said about the deer being hard to pattern is the same that I heard from a few of my friends that have went before. The other obsticals you have if you don't know the area and have not had time to scout it out is walking through the marshes. Some marsh area can be deep. My buddies had to take a boat down the river to get to their hunting area. I am also thinking that with it being near tidal waters where you walk in the morning might not be the way you come out once the tide changes.
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 9:57 am

OOPS! I was thinking Sitka blacktail deer but you guys are hunting the sika deer, very different but wow, even cooler! Really can't wait to hunt them now that I googled sika deer!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sitka deer hunting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sitka deer hunting   Sitka deer hunting Empty

Back to top Go down

Sitka deer hunting
Page 1 of 1