Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

When do u start working on food plots

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rezeen6.5

rezeen6.5

When do u start working on food plots Empty
PostSubject: When do u start working on food plots   When do u start working on food plots EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 9:52 pm

I have 4 plots about 10 acres all together but I want something for spring and early summer. What would u plant I live in North East AR and hunt on Crowleys ridge there is no farm land for at least 10 miles all the way around. So lets here it Mike
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: When do u start working on food plots   When do u start working on food plots EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Sorry Mike, I am not much help here. Don't own my own land so I really have not done much research.... Hope to one day though.
Back to top Go down
rezeen6.5

rezeen6.5

PostSubject: Re: When do u start working on food plots   When do u start working on food plots EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 pm

well if you know someone that does own there land could u ask them what there thoughts are on early spring plots and what they would plant I have deer there all the time but I don't want them to have to look for food else where.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: When do u start working on food plots   When do u start working on food plots EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 7:44 am

My buddy has oats on his. He also does that for pheasant because he raises and releases them on his property. I know for a fact the deer like to eat them. I will find out some other good plots for you. If you want something good for bow season purple top turnips they are the best
Back to top Go down
rezeen6.5

rezeen6.5

PostSubject: Re: When do u start working on food plots   When do u start working on food plots EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 8:42 am

Ok that sounds good I can buy oats very cheap from a farmer here. The turnips I can get but when do plant them. I am also going chickin litter pellets out and some lime if you got something else I ready. Mike
Back to top Go down
dg1

PostSubject: Re: When do u start working on food plots   When do u start working on food plots EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 8:45 am

For my spring and summer plots I use mostly clover, alfalfa and beans. The beans are more of a summer plot but deer start hitting them as soon as they sprout. Alfalfa is a great food source but needs to be mowed and hayed a couple of times a year. You can sell the hay or better yet find someone to lease the ground for alfalfa. Then they plant it and maintain it and you hunt it. This is a common practice in the midwest. There are many things to plant but I really like clover and alfalfa this time of year. Do you plant on replanting these fields for a cool season plots or will you leave them in their warm season plantings?
Back to top Go down
rezeen6.5

rezeen6.5

PostSubject: Re: When do u start working on food plots   When do u start working on food plots EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 8:54 am

Don't know about replanting them yet but I am sure we will . What do you like in the early fall? What kind of clover do you like there is all kinds give me some idea.
Back to top Go down
dg1

PostSubject: Re: When do u start working on food plots   When do u start working on food plots EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 9:08 am

Turnips are usually planted the end of July. Brassicas, which include turnips, have a 70-90 day maturing time. So back up at least 90 days from the date of your average first frost. I like to mix several brassicas together for my plantings. I like rape, turnips, and radishes at about 6# per acre. On my farm the deer kill the brassicas. I would almost say it is my best food source. That being said it is an aquired taste for deer. It often takes 2 years for deer to learn what they are and begin hitting them hard. The first hard frost converts a lot of sugar into the plants and that is when they really get after them. Turnips for me are good but not until late in the year.
Sorry, were kinda posting over each other here.
I just frost seeded my clover. I planted KOPU 2, jumbo ladino clover, and alice white clover. I got these from :
http://www.welterseed.com/productItems.aspx?id=2&org=0
I find the white clovers to be a little easier to maintain (clover needs mowed but not hayed occasionally)
My fall plots consist of: 1. Eagle brand soybeans, 2. brassica mix, 3. austrian winter peas (deer candy but won't last long) winter rye (not to be confused with rye grass) and winter wheat or oats mixed together.
Back to top Go down
rezeen6.5

rezeen6.5

PostSubject: Re: When do u start working on food plots   When do u start working on food plots EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 1:13 pm

dg1 thats good info it looks like I will be doing a lot of this planting by my self this year cause my brother is in college know but I don't mind I just tring to get everything lined up before its time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When do u start working on food plots   When do u start working on food plots Empty

Back to top Go down

When do u start working on food plots
Page 1 of 1