Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Heavy / Medium / Light?

Go down 
+10
ebrown
The Guide
Rev. Juan
HuntRed79
wacker
volway
30pointbuck
Robert
Camoed Assassin
TRR
14 posters
AuthorMessage
TRR

Heavy / Medium / Light? Empty
PostSubject: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 9:37 pm

Just wondering if you had your rathers in mast crop would it be heavy, light or something in between?

I think in between would be my choice.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Like to see an average year, then it's easier to pin down what trees the deer are hammering.
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 am

For me the more the better. I like the acorns alien
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 6:33 pm

I agree Robert, I like the acorns too.....
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 8:27 pm

With to many acorns and them falling from every oak in the area the deer seem to not move much at all around here. Dinner just falls from the tree right to them in thier beds. It seems like if we get a descent acorn crop we can pin down the oaks that are producing the best and hunt them. When there is very little acorn crop the deer tend to eat them up in a few days then be done with them not giving us to much of a window to capitalize on it.
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Camoed Assassin wrote:
Like to see an average year, then it's easier to pin down what trees the deer are hammering.

X2
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 7:31 pm

I like to see heavy mast crop. Give them plenty of food in the timber where I spend a lot of my tree time. I've also noticed deer tend to go after the easy pickins first and that brings them round my kill plot for some acorns and greens.
Back to top Go down
HuntRed79

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 8:51 pm

I will take an average year. I just finished making a new acorn attractant and want them looking for me.
Back to top Go down
Rev. Juan

Rev. Juan

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 8:24 pm

more food makes fat deer cheers I can't eat horns
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 6:19 pm

On my family farm here in MD there is one oak tree that seems to produce just about every year so I would almost prefer them to be light to between just because I know this one tree will produce and they will be there if they can not find them else where.
Back to top Go down
TRR

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 8:10 pm

Looks like we are going to have a bumper crop this year here in Tn. In 2008 a late frost mid April killed off most of the mast crop west of the Cumberland Plateau. I saw more good bucks that year than ever before. I concluded that they were having to travel more to find food. So I prefer medium to light for that reason.
Back to top Go down
ebrown

ebrown

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:28 am

I would agree that if you had property that held good bedding area's, the more the acorns the better. I figure that as hard as it is to get a good buck to move in the daylight in the early season, if you could find a bedding area adjacent to some productive oaks then your chances of catching the deer with shooting light greatly increases. With the right wind of course. I dont want to get near that bedding area with out the perfect breeze. Not to mention it can keep the deer from traveling to far from his core area to find another hunters arrow.
Back to top Go down
LawCoBowhunter

LawCoBowhunter

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 2:19 pm

I like more acorns.Most of the white oaks on the farm are in one paticular area.
Back to top Go down
buckbuster217

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Here in Ohio we had a bumper crop of mast this year, and the kill numbers were down according to the ODNR due to this. I know I didn't see as many deer this year due to the deer not having to move to find food, so I would prefer to see a medium to light acorn crop.
Back to top Go down
Bowhunter83

Bowhunter83

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:49 pm

I prefer a medium to light. Because deer will have to move to find food.
Back to top Go down
Justintohunting

Justintohunting

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 5:08 pm

seems as if they mve more to find food when it is light year, on the flip side i have no fields to hunt so bring on the acrons.. all i got is oak hardwwods and ridges
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heavy / Medium / Light?   Heavy / Medium / Light? Empty

Back to top Go down

Heavy / Medium / Light?
Page 1 of 1