Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

My best buck to date story(long read).

Go down 
+2
Dave
DR
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DR

DR

My best buck to date story(long read). Empty
PostSubject: My best buck to date story(long read).   My best buck to date story(long read). EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 am

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I headed out of the office about 1:00 and arrived at my spot around 2:00 on Nov.27 2007. It was extremely windy that day and I really didnt expect to see much deer movement. It sure was going to be better than being at the office.

I was hunting a fixed stand on a fence row about mid way up a hillside. It over looking a funnel heading up towards a thicket. I had not seen a single deer till about ten minutes till five. I noticed five doe's coming down off the other hillside down into the funnel. Once they reached the bottom ,I noticed a buck coming down the hill at a good pace. At this point he is about 120 yards away and I have no trouble seeing his rack. I reached for the smoke pole while keeping an eye on him as he continued down the hill. For some reason the doe's headed up the funnel and he continued coming towards me another 20 yards. By this time he is at 45 yards quartering towards me. I put the crosshairs on his front left shoulder and squeezed. Having trouble seeing do to the smoke I see the buck trotting to left and stop. Now I'm in shock thinking how did I miss that deer. Then I noticed he started to wobble then hit the ground.

After I climbed down out of the stand and turned around he was gone. Now starting to panic I went right over to were I last saw him. Turns out he ended up falling off about a ten foot bank and landed on some rocks. Luckily he did not break the rack I thought. I was looking at at main frame 8 with a kicker on the right brow tine.

My best buck to date story(long read). 2007buck
My best buck to date story(long read). Editedbuck2007-1
My best buck to date story(long read). Deer2007013

I had him officially scored at 144 0/8 Gross and 138 2/8 net. They have a Maryland Trophy Deer Contest every year in MD. I harvested the deer in 07 but could not enter the buck until the 09 show. So I headed down that August to enter him under the typical muzzle loader category. Not expecting to win I ended up with First in Frederick County and 4th in the state for that year. Missed third by and inch even. The buck that got third is above my buck on the left. Below are some pics from that show.
My best buck to date story(long read). Contest
My best buck to date story(long read). Contest1

Back in January the NRA held a show close to me in Carroll County. So I figured what the heck. Ended up getting third in the historical typical muzzle loader class. The blue ribbon is from the Maryland Trophy Deer Contest and the yellow one is from the NRA Show.
My best buck to date story(long read). BigBuckContest2010
My best buck to date story(long read). DeerMount
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: My best buck to date story(long read).   My best buck to date story(long read). EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 1:08 pm

That is a great story! Thanks for taking the time to type it all out. I enjoyed the pictures as well. I do like how you had the plaque and mount done. Very classy with the hooves. Nice job all around.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: My best buck to date story(long read).   My best buck to date story(long read). EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Great story.
Back to top Go down
Snivs

Snivs

PostSubject: Re: My best buck to date story(long read).   My best buck to date story(long read). EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 9:48 pm

Nice story. That's a great buck for Frederick county. Thanks for sharing and good luck to you in the upcoming season.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: My best buck to date story(long read).   My best buck to date story(long read). EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 11:07 pm

That is a great story, congrats one placeing in all the events. Great Buck
Back to top Go down
HuntRed79

PostSubject: Re: My best buck to date story(long read).   My best buck to date story(long read). EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 11:20 pm

Congrats that is a great buck and a great story. Thanks for sharing I love hearing stories like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My best buck to date story(long read).   My best buck to date story(long read). Empty

Back to top Go down

My best buck to date story(long read).
Page 1 of 1