Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Whitetail Age

Go down 
+4
buckbuster217
Bowhunter83
TheRomer
kkleve
8 posters
AuthorMessage
kkleve

kkleve

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 11:00 am

At Which age do you think a buck has reached its potential and should be considered a shooter? i try to go only 4 and older.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 11:17 am

Ill agree with that, but then again i can understand how some cant wait that long because of the preasure in their area.
Back to top Go down
Bowhunter83

Bowhunter83

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Id say 4 to 5.
Back to top Go down
buckbuster217

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 5:54 pm

I would agree with ya but in alot of areas it is almost unheard of for a buck to reach this age, we have areas around here that the "if its brown its down " philosophy still is in effect and its really hard for deer to mature in these areas. I try to shoot only mature deer but I will be truthful and tell you alot depends on what area I am hunting and the appearance of the deer and his chance of reaching maturity.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 6:15 pm

I agree 4 and older.
Back to top Go down
Justintohunting

Justintohunting

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 7:20 pm

here in missouri we have alot of , if its brown its down , people would shoot a four point if we didnt have a point restrictions here.. Not many bucks make it past 4 yrs so it would be hard for me to pass up a nice 3 1/2 yr old whitetail..
Back to top Go down
kkleve

kkleve

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 8:09 am

i wish Indiana would have a point restriction, i cant stand the if its brown its down mentality
Back to top Go down
Indiana_buck_buster

Indiana_buck_buster

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:15 am

kkleve wrote:
i wish Indiana would have a point restriction, i cant stand the if its brown its down mentality

x1,000,000
Back to top Go down
Justintohunting

Justintohunting

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 10:21 am

yeah point restrictions have been here for five years and i can say we see bigger buck s and more of them..the first couple years of this was rocky for some people..they just couldnt get a grip on what Conservation was trying to do..We had an incident were a father was shooting little six or four points and bought his sons yoouth tags and was tagging them with his kids tag.. this is sad..this is people who enjoy the kill and not the hunt..Now people have grown to accept the law and i see alot more potential pope and young deer. Also does too because if you see a deer in the brush and cant see the head but have good shot to the vitals , without a point restriction some people take that shot.. with the restrictions that deer may be a spike or fourpoint and is illegal.. It did take me a few years to finally shoot my first deer with a bow because of this.. On several occasions i had a six point at 17 yds from me and a four that was a perfect 20 yd, but i held off because i wasnt after a buck or doe specifically, i just wanted my deer to be legal Very Happy i ended up takeing a doe at 37 yds the opening day of bowseason the next year,,
Back to top Go down
kkleve

kkleve

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 11:16 am

Most people around here shoot at every deer they see, and they all wonder why they never see big bucks, and when you try to explain to them it is because they shoot small bucks and that prevents them from maturing into big bucks they just reply well if i dont shoot it someone else will. I just wish everyone could come around and get it through that in order to have big deer you need to pass on small deer. we need to target the young kids with this and drill it into their brains so by the time they are old enough they will be in the right mindset for managing for big deer and better deer herds.
Back to top Go down
Justintohunting

Justintohunting

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 11:42 am

true but we also need them to know that deer hunting is not a sport, its a tradition.. It not all about big bucks when your trying to get a kid into hunting.. I have no problem letting a kid shoot a 2 yr old 8 point or even a yearling spike, for their first deer. I believe a trophy is what you make it to be..Lets get the kids in the sport first, allow them to experience hunting, and then teach them why we pass certain deer while others blast them away.. Last year i shot two does and i believe i had the best season ever because they were with my bow and they were trophies to me..I managed my deer herd.. I worked hard for them on public land, and i got done...
Back to top Go down
kkleve

kkleve

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 11:47 am

I think that kids should have free run on their first deer to get hunting into their systems
Back to top Go down
kkleve

kkleve

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 11:48 am

Once they have hunted for a year or 2 they shouyld be taught that they should hold out for a bigger deer not just the first deer that walks out
Back to top Go down
Justintohunting

Justintohunting

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 11:55 am

kkleve wrote:
Once they have hunted for a year or 2 they shouyld be taught that they should hold out for a bigger deer not just the first deer that walks out

X2 right there with you..teach them to manage
Back to top Go down
kkleve

kkleve

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 12:37 pm

I learned it at a young age from hunting shows and magazines, every kid should experience hunting, it is one of the best anti-drugs there is get kids into the woods at a young age to keep them off of the streets
Back to top Go down
fullrut

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 9:53 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Whitetail Age  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whitetail Age    Whitetail Age  Empty

Back to top Go down

Whitetail Age
Page 1 of 1