Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!

Go down 
+3
Joe
Robert
Big Sexy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Sexy

Big Sexy

My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! Empty
PostSubject: My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!   My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! EmptyFri May 08, 2009 2:38 pm

Proud Papa

My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! IMG_0499crop

It has been a long season for the severson family. It all started during the 09 IA youth season with my 6 yr old practicing shooting a youth modle 870 for turkeys. He was a natural, right off the bat as he was practicing in the back yard shooting off of Dad's lap. He shot several times. Old dad had long been preparing for the day that his kids would join him hunting. In preparation several years ago, I purchased a fine, youth 870 and matched it with a fine Cabelas hologram type optic to "make it easier for the kids".

Well, the day came when we needed to practice. I taught Zeke how to shoot and he loved it! He shot several times and we were confidence. Finally he became bored and wanted to quit. I told him one more time and we will go in. Dads mistake, as he was so comfortable shooting and while sitting on dads lap he got right up on the optic, well you know where this is going happen... That's right, when he shot and the gun recoiled it came back and hit him in the forehead and busted him open on the last shot. There was a small cut, but being a head wound it looked worse than it was. Needless to say he was upset and we were done for the day.. I thought I just ruined the moment I had been waiting for, hunting with my son. I was wrong, for three days later he wanted to shoot again. However he made it clear he was not going to shoot a scope or anything that slightly resembled one. That’s when Grandpa gave him a Remington 100 LT 20 gauge. Sweet little gun, with little kick. Zeke was again on my lap ready to go. Friday the little one went to bed early, already half dressed for our morning hint as he new we would be getting up earlier than he ever has. He was so excited, he probably did not get to sleep for couple hours, I know dad didn't.

Were up at 4:30 eating breakfast and getting ready for our first hunt together. I had place the blind in between a roosting area and food and strutting zone the previous day, so all we had to do was get out there. My hat is off to him. Zeke sat until 10:30 on his own before we were done for the morning with only seeing a hen and 4 deer. One of the deer was 10 foot off the blind and Zeke was amazed.. I let him choose how long we we were out hunting for if he was not enjoying it, I knew I would not be able to keep him hooked on the sport. We sat a couple hours that evening as well and only saw birds at a distance along with more deer and other wild life. Saturday, same story, not much to talk about. Sunday morning the little guy say quietly and patiently for 5 1/2 hours wanting to shoot a turkey. Again, not much activity. We went out early Sunday afternoon. It was hot. I did not expect to see much, but I brought allot of snacks and drinks to bribe him to go. After we shed even more cloths, around 6:15 a BIG boss was coming in to our set up after a short calling sequence from a Foggy Holler custom shot box by Jerry Zebro in Ridgeland WI. We got ready in the blind and I was pressuring my son to get ready to shoot, and encouraged him to do so. Zeke did just what his dad told him to. In the heat of the moment he shot, crippling the bird as it was a little out of range for the caliber of gun we were shooting. It was all on dad. I got him to shoot one more time before it disappeared in the brush. The race was on as we unzipped the blind and took off running trying to catch Zeke’s trophy.. I was sick as there was no sign of the bird. We looked until dark every where we could. Tears welled up in his eyes as he realized we were going home empty handed and his season was over... My heart was as broke, as did his. I apologized for my mistake and promised I would make it up to him.

Fourth season came around and I got Zeke another tag. Off we were again. Luckily my wife and I had to go to school to watch my daughter receive an award given to here by the local volunteer fire department. She had entered a fire prevention poster in a contest the fire dept. association put on state wide. My little girl got 2nd place for her poster. She received recognition in the local news paper, worn an award and received $50! Not only that, our local fire department received $150 to put toward fire safety prevention material for teaching in the school and community. I was a very proud papa. Then when the festivities were all over, I asked Zekes teacher if she would mind if I took him with me just a little early so we could go turkey hunting. The teacher agreed being Zeke had his work all done and there was only 20 minutes left of school. Off we went, heading to a different place on top of a BIG ridge that divided two timbers and had fields on both sides.

On the way to our set up we saw the land owner, a good friend of mine. I made my son ask for permission to go hunt on his hill. He asked permission and the farmer appreciated it as well just to have a conversation with my son.

It was terrible hot. We were drenched in sweat by the time we had the deeks out and the blind set up. Now the wait.

Youth season, the boy was able to sit long periods of time quieter and longer than most adults, but not today. He was wired and all over the place. He could not sit still, nor be quiet. I finally got him to go to sleep on my lap, but then had to wake him up. He was snoring louder and making more noise than when he was awake. So old dad woke him up and pulled out the last resort, FOOD. I offered him granola bars and Gatorade. He was happy and quiet. As he was half way through his second granola bar, I completed one more calling sequence and a bird came walking out silent towards our decoys. I put my hand over Zeke’s mouth as I new he would yell when he saw him, and sure enough, he tried. I told him to be quiet as we go the gun ready in to position. As I helped him hold it I reminded him to put the green do just below the birds head. I then told him to squeeze the trigger when he was ready. It seemed like an eternity as I waited for my boy to pull that trigger. I was not going to rush him after I caused him to loose his last trophy during the youth season. Then he pulled the trigger and the bird fell like a ton of bricks and Zeke jumped of my lap, the gun about went flying as he yelled, YESSS! We put the gun down and ran to his bird. I was so proud as he go to his bird, the first thing he did was grab its fan and spread it out. He then asked me is it a BOSS tom Dad? I said no, it was a Jake. Then the little guy said, “it’s a baby BOSS”. I chuckled and agreed. Then before we moved it he had to call mom and grandpa to tell the news. Once he was done calling everyone, he wanted to go show the land owner the bird he just killed on his property and to tell him thank you. I was so proud of his thoughtfulness.

This was truly a very special day for me as a father. Between my daughters award, my boy killing his first bird and loving family to share the story with, it just could not get any better than that.

My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! Zekenblindly.

Last edited by Big Sexy on Fri May 08, 2009 8:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!   My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! EmptyFri May 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Great story and congrats to you and your son. I needs me some pics though affraid
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!   My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! EmptyFri May 08, 2009 5:26 pm

Awesome. Can't wait to see the pics.
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!   My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! EmptyFri May 08, 2009 5:36 pm

very cool congrats to you both...where's the pics??

My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! Apichers1

My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! ROFLMAO

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!   My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! EmptyFri May 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Great Story, and congrats to you both
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!   My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! EmptyFri May 08, 2009 6:37 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the story... congrats to booth your son and your daughter... You have a right to be proud!
Back to top Go down
Big Sexy

Big Sexy

PostSubject: Re: My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!   My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! EmptySat May 09, 2009 7:51 am

sorry it took me a little bit to add the pics. Thanks for the comments.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!   My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! EmptySat May 09, 2009 8:41 am

Awseome pics buddy... thanks for taking the time to post them. I would like to borrow that hat your son has sometime. It is sweet!
Back to top Go down
Big Sexy

Big Sexy

PostSubject: Re: My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!   My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! EmptySat May 09, 2009 10:44 pm

Yeh he got it a couple moths ago when we were at Cabelas. He wore it every time we went hunting. It has brought alot of smiles.
Back to top Go down
Mrs Volway

Mrs Volway

PostSubject: Re: My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!   My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! EmptyMon May 11, 2009 11:57 am

Congrats to Little Man ... nothing like it! Great bird!

Christy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!   My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added! Empty

Back to top Go down

My boy first bird- Warning, long story, but pics added!
Page 1 of 1