Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SCHunter

SCHunter

South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal Empty
PostSubject: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:07 pm

Ok I think I'll try this blogging thing on here and I'll also be getting my hunts on video. Once I put my first DVD together I'll set it up for folks to see and I may load hunts from it on here in parts just to show the action for the day. I have some catching up to do for this year since I have already gone bow hunting a couple of times but I'll be adding that this evening hopefully to try and catch up. I already put some of my bow hunting in another part of the forum but I'll add it to this blog as well to keep it chronological. Smile I'll just have to backdate it a little. Rifle season starts at dawn tomorrow morning so I am anxious. bounce I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by SCHunter on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:21 pm

Sounds good man. Looking forward to reading about your year this season. Remember to keep those cameras rolling!!
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:51 pm

Looking foward to seeing it.
Back to top Go down
SCHunter

SCHunter

PostSubject: Entry #1   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:40 pm

Ponderosa Hunting Club
August 24, 2009
Time In: 0600hrs Time Out: 0900hrs
Equipment: PSE Dominator bow 64lbs, Terminator Lite shafts, Muzzy MX-4(100gr) Broadheads, Tru-fire release, Tru-glo site, Therma-Cell insect control
Realtree AP camo
Rocky waterproof Snake boots
Scent Control: Scent Killer
Weather: Clear
Sony Cybershot 10mp digital camera

The alarm sounded at 0500hrs and the coffee pot started its process. I got up and freshened up a bit, starting with brushing my teeth, because if the deer are going to get a whiff of my breath they should at least not be offended. I slipped my camos on and then my boots before pouring myself a cup of coffee. I added a little sugar and creamer then off I go. I had already put my bow and other items in the Jeep the night before so I didn't have to lug stuff out like a pack mule. I crank the Jeep up and jam to a little Colt Ford "Huntin' the World" music on the way to the club. When I get to the club I sign the check in book and take note that one of our members saw 6 does one regular spotted fawn and one calico fawn the day before. I drop the four wheeler and start heading to the stand. As I am traveling down the gravel road to get to the wood line I notice three bucks spring out in front of me. Two of the three were quite healthy and all I could think was how lucky they were that it wasn't rifle season yet because though I can't shoot a bow like a true Native American I surely could throw some lead down range. I continued on to the stand and finally got settled down. I turned my Therma-cell on to avert the mosquitoes. I pulled my face mask over my face and then waited for that big one to come through the woodline. As I sat and waited I noticed that I was being watched intently. He glared at me almost with contempt as if to say "What are you doing in my woods?". I stared at him for a while until finally he decided that the staring contest was over. Thats when the little grey fox squirrel bolted up to the tree tops leaping from branch to branch until he reached the other side of the woodline and ran down another tree. He began competing with another squirrel for pieces of corn that were lying on the ground. Then another creature decided he wanted in on the fight and that is when the field mouse jumped in the middle of the corn and looked at the squirrels as if he could take both of 'em at the same time. He grabbed what he could and bounced back to his nest as quickly as he could before the squirrels could decide if they should take him or not. It was shortly after this that I decided to call it a day and retreated back to my four wheeler. As I was leaving, I thought about some of the things I was able to witness watching nature happen that I would have not been privilidged to had I not gone to the woods. Even though I didn't even see a deer I still couldn't help but feel lucky to be able to be a spectator to such events.

Last edited by SCHunter on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SCHunter

SCHunter

PostSubject: Entry #2   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 9:11 pm

Ponderosa Hunting Club
August 29, 2009
Time In: 1800hrs Time Out: 2030hrs
Equipment: PSE Dominator bow 65lbs, Terminator Lite shafts, Muzzy MX-4(100gr) Broadheads, Tru-fire release, Tru-glo site, Therma-Cell insect control
Mossy Oak Break-up
Sanyo Xacti Camcorder

Well I went this evening although it was a bit warm. It was a last minute decision to go. As I slowly walked down the dirt road to the corner of the field I was cautious in case my opportunity presented itself before I reached my stand. No luck on the way to the stand but I was hopeful as I sat with my Therma-cell chasing the bugs away. There appeared to be something to my right peering out and as I leaned forward slowy to look...BAM...my Therma-cell hit the bottom of the stand. Fortunately what was peering out was not a deer but I wasn't sure now if I would see one the rest of the evening but I knew if I called it quits then that I wouldn't see a deer at all. A short while later I heard rustling in the woods behind me and slowly turned to my left. It was then that I saw four of the largest coons I think I have ever seen. They walked right up under my stand and appeared to be on a mission. Well I didn't see any deer more than likely because the moon had been so bright the past couple of nights as well as its so hot they are coming out in the wee hours. But I will tell ya it beats going to work anyday. It was nice just sitting in the stand and listening to what was going on around me. Yes it was tempting but no I didn't stick any of em. Oh well, another day perhaps.

Last edited by SCHunter on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Good read SC. Hopefully things start turning around as far as the moon phase. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your season.
Back to top Go down
SCHunter

SCHunter

PostSubject: Entry #3   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Ponderosa Hunting Club
September 1, 2009
Time In: 1745hrs Time Out: 2015hrs
Equipment: Remington 700 30-06, Winchester 150 grain powerpoint ammo, Bushnell Dusk and Dawn Scope, Therma-Cell insect control
Realtree AP camo
Sony Cybershot 10mp digital camera

Well it was nice a sunny this afternoon and a little warm but not too bad. Best of all, it was the first day of rifle season. I took off work about 30 minutes early and geared up. I arrived a short while later at the club and ran up with four other buddies. We agreed on the stands we would be sitting and went our separate ways. The stand I was in sat back in the woods a bit because I didn't feel like much would be happening in the fields this early in the season as warm as it is. As I was sitting in my stand I observed four raccoons run into the woodline. They continued across a cut through into another woodline and just as they made it into the woods suddenly I heard them shoot back across the cut through and they each scurried up a tree. I'm not sure what it was but whatever it was they didn't like it. Then just as I was chuckling at the coons running up the tree I see movement in front of me. I began seeing spots before my eyes. It was the kind of spots you see on a fawn because thats what was standing about 65 yards out. Suddenly out pops another fawn and they began to browse the vegetation in the area. I watched this for about 45 minutes as the fawn came within about 20 yards of me before slowly making their way into the woods. The sun is getting lower and the light is fading from the woods but I'm still hopeful the big one is out there. I begin to see movement to my right and as I look over I see a doe crossing the same cut through the raccoons attempted to cross earlier. She stopped in the middle of the cut through and looks back. Then, two fawns pop out behind her, and now that she is comfortable they are in tow, she begins to move into the woodline. As the daylight succumbs to the night, I again was glad to just be part of the experience of nature even though I never got my sights on a buck.

Last edited by SCHunter on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:42 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Added video footage)
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:21 am

Sounds like a good evening. Your seeing deer now....just a matter of time until the big boys start appearing.
Back to top Go down
SCHunter

SCHunter

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 7:02 pm

I added a little video footage to my 3rd entry above
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 7:13 pm

Can't wait for our season to open so I can maybe start a blog to. Reading your blog is great but it's making me antsy. Keep it up man and hope you smoke one soon.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Well said C.A....

Keep at it S.C. and thanks for the good read!
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 8:11 am

Cool video SC.
Back to top Go down
SCHunter

SCHunter

PostSubject: Entry #4   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Ponderosa Hunting Club
September 1, 2009
Time In: 1745hrs Time Out: 2015hrs
Equipment: Remington 700 30-06, Winchester 150 grain powerpoint ammo, Bushnell Dusk and Dawn Scope, Therma-Cell insect control
Realtree AP camo
Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10

It was yet another warm day bright and shiny outside. I had to work this morning so I busted it to the house to change after work so I could get settled in a stand. After changing I got my gear and headed out. Once I arrived I checked in and thought I would give a shot at the tripod over the bean field. Though the bean field as warm as it has been is usually against my better judgement, I decided to try because my buddy shot a buck over a bean field the night before. Well, I decided to drop the four wheeler so I could get back to the area I would be hunting and it was at this time I should have taken the hint that maybe I should go back to the house. The four wheeler wouldn't crank so I had to get my Jeep as close as I could to the area and walk...and walk...and walk..and walk. Eventually I made it to the stand and to my dismay the seat was made for someone who apparently has a very tiny butt. My four year old would have had a hard time sitting in it. I had never sat in this stand before but I was here now and it was too late to move so I had to make the best of it. Though peaceful it was a little disappointing because I saw only a squirrel and a few birds. Not one deer showed up tonight but something productive did come from it all. I discovered that I need to remove the seat from the tri-pod and I am going to replace it with a boat seat or something similiar. Another thing I should add is a Therma-Cell is a life saver. If you are not using one you are missing out on how effective it is in the early season.

Last edited by SCHunter on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 11:24 pm

Amen on the Thermo cell. Your season sounds like its starting a little slow. Hope you start seeing some.
Back to top Go down
SCHunter

SCHunter

PostSubject: Entry #5   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 10:14 pm

Ponderosa Hunting Club
September 5, 2009
Time In: 1730hrs Time Out: 2015hrs
Mossy Oak camo
Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10

I was able to pick up my eldest son, Justin, who lives with his mother in Charlotte. He is 13 and some time ago I bought him a Remington .243 bolt action. We got our gear ready and headed out. We were hunting over a bean field where a few had been seen over the past few days. Time passed and we saw very little. As the sun dropped behind the tree line to my left I noticed some movement and it was a buck coming out of the woodline. This buck wasn't coming to feast however, he was on the move and never even slowed down. As he sprang out of the woodline he ran parallel to the bean field and pounced back into the woodline. I scratched my head thinking there was no way he alerted on us and wondered what could it be. Approximately 15 to 20 seconds after the buck went back into the woodline I saw two deer dogs come running out of the woods and back toward the direction of the buck. The buck shook them though I believe because the dogs ran much farther down the woodline than the deer went. I was a little upset that the dogs possibly ruined my evening hunt and I had to assume they belonged to the club that is adjacent to ours. Needless to say we didn't see anything else for the evening but at least I did get to see a buck this time. I can't wait for the temperatures to drop and for doe season to kick in Sept. 15th. I want some meat in the freezer. I'll drop a doe for meat and we have plenty of does. I won't shoot a small buck for meat so I need a doe or a buck with a decent rack.

Last edited by SCHunter on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 10:23 pm

Sorry to hear about the dog ruining the hunt for you and your youngin. I used to hunt a property that the neighbors dog would run deer and I would cringe everytime I heard those little bastards bark. We don't hunt deer with dogs up here, those dogs just ran them for fun. Hope you find some luck soon.
Back to top Go down
SCHunter

SCHunter

PostSubject: Entry #6   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Ponderosa Hunting Club
September 7, 2009
Time In: 0545hrs Time Out: 0845hrs
Mossy Oak camo
Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10

I woke up to the smell of coffee brewing and was anxious to see what the morning would bring. After getting dressed and getting my coffee into my thermos I was headed out to the club. I decided to hunt a different side of the club this morning because I had seen several bucks in the past in this area. As I pulled up to the area we use to park I had high hopes. I checked in and proceeded quietly to my stand. I was in my stand well before daylight and got settled in. As daylight broke the woods started waking up. It was very peaceful and relaxing. I glassed the entire area periodically in case there was one at a distance that was blending in with their surroundings. The morning was not cold but had a mild chill which was a welcome break from the hot days experienced recently. Ultimately I sat there to no avail because there were never any deer in sight. But again its better than working. The temperature is changing and they will begin to move very soon without the cover of dark. I will be dropping one soon so stay tuned.

Last edited by SCHunter on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Sounds like a relaxing morning. Good luck next time out.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 11:53 pm

good video.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal   South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal Empty

Back to top Go down

South Carolina 2009 - 2010 Hunter Journal
Page 1 of 1