Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)

Go down 
+7
Dave
Joe
huntquest
TheRomer
Jody
Mike
BowBo
11 posters
AuthorMessage
BowBo

BowBo

LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) Empty
PostSubject: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:16 pm

Well as most of you know, Sunday May 10th was the last day of Spring Turkey season here in Indiana.

Me and Mike Romer hunted Sat afternoon/evening (the good ole Sat Evening Scare Rolling Eyes ) , and then tried to get a bird to gobble on the roost for Sunday morning's set up........................ never got a single bird to gobble anywhere within a 7 mile radius.

So me and Mike decided on a field to hunt for Sunday morning, just because we liked the way it looked with the surrounding woods and the secluded corner to set up in.

Sun morning we get in and set up with our decoys (and yes, the orange was immediately available)......... BTW, weather and conditions were AWESOME! Clear skies, mid 40's, and very calm at daylight.

At about the perfect time, we started with a few soft yelps to get things rollin'. After a couple little sequences...... a hen that was roosted about 60yds from us just decided to GO OFF! She was NOT HAPPY that there were two other hens already moved into her field! {LOL} We had her stirred up and squawkin' like crazy for a good 15 minutes before she decided to fly down.

Well anyway, with all the commotion of that hen, and us two hens carrying on......... we had gobblers going off on all 4 sides of us. Not any that were very close though. But they were still going at it.

About 15-20 minutes after "our hen" flew down and stopped her yackin', it seemed all birds stopped gobbling anymore. They all just shut up! So we worked that set up for a few hard hours without ever seeing a beard anywhere.

So we pulled out and hit the truck to try some 'locater yelps' from the road here and there. I suggested to Mike that we go around to the THICK PINE RIDGE and try some locater yelps over there. We pull up, I step out and hit the loud raspy desperate hen yelp a few times........................ and then all of a sudden..... GOBBLE DOBBLE LOBBLE!!! Then a few hens chimed in too, and got all pissed off at us again! {LOL}

So me and Mike grabbed our gear and headed in! Sounded like they were 150-200 yds in. We go in a ways and each park against a tree and call again to see if we can find exactly where they are. We have a hen less than 75 (thick) yds from us still yappin' her head off.................... but no gobble! We tried it several times without a gobble, so me and Mike decided to push forward a little more. We work through the thicket and come into the edge of an odd shaped opening/clearing. We eased around real slowly, looking and listening........... Mike spots two birds out probably 300yds, just easing into the opening.

So we basically belly crawled to the best cover that we could find and found us another tree. Took us a closer inspection, and found that we had a Tom, and a Jake (with about a 5-6" beard). By the time we get settled down, and start calling, the birds are probably 250yds out. After a little calling, the Tom starts strutting some, and pushing around the other bird......... and very slowly moving in our direction. After they closed the distance to around 150yds, we knew it was GAME ON!

Two years ago, me and Mike doubled out on birds...... and we were about to try and do it again! We knew it was at least a very good possibility at this point.

The two of them are getting closer by the minute now, seems they are moving even faster. Uh oh, the Jake is now sprinting in our direction, leaving the Tom further behind............ creating a dilemma for me and Mike! The Jake is now about 40yds from Mike (which is about 15yds behind me), and the Tom is alot further out there........................ when they both slam on the brakes and throw their necks and heads straight up in the air!

Now they both are in FULL ALARM, very nervous, and about to "fly the coop"!
Mike is going to shoot the Jake since he is closer to him, and I'm getting the chance at the Tom! WOOO HOOO

Anyway, it's now or never, because they are about to get the heck out of dodge!
Mike wants me to shoot first, and him follow up on the Jake. (Mike you are one hell of a pal bro!)

And I'm thinking in my mind the whole time, there is no way I'm gonna hit that bird from here............ he is OUT THERE! But it's the last day of the season, and our "good chance" is about to be over with........................... BOOOOOM!!! I shot first, and the Tom dropped like a brick! When Mike got his shot off, the Jake was already bolting (since he was on full alert anyway)........... and unfortunately, we were unable to double out again this year. (We've got next year to do it again though buddy)

After the shot, I hollered to Mike...................... MAN THAT'S A LONG WAYS!!!
So we stepped off the yardage and it was 68yds!!!!!! And I'm tellin' ya, he dropped, and never flopped! Mossberg 835, Ulti Mag, 3 1/2" Magnum, #4's baby!

Hey Mike, thanks again for sharing your hunting camp in Sullivan Co. with me brother! You know it is much appreciated. I had a great time down there, and we'll have to hit Minihaha for deer this fall too! Get away for a while.

Anyhoo, here is my bird!

10" Beard
17mm Spurs
17lbs

LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) Gobbler1

LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) Gobbler2
Back to top Go down
Mike

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:31 pm

Great bird BowBo!!!! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:35 pm

That is a great story and quite the way to finish off your season. A big congrats to you!!
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyTue May 12, 2009 11:09 pm

A Big Congrats again my friend, that was one heck of a shot too.cant wait to go at it again next year
Back to top Go down
huntquest

huntquest

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyTue May 12, 2009 11:18 pm

Very nice, congrats!
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyWed May 13, 2009 10:08 am

Congrats on the bird.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyWed May 13, 2009 7:48 pm

Those are some great photos... Congrats on your last day success!
Back to top Go down
BowBo

BowBo

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyWed May 13, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks y'all. It really felt good to put one down this year!
Back to top Go down
Mrs Volway

Mrs Volway

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyThu May 14, 2009 9:54 am

Congrats!!! Great bird and sounds like exciting hunt! Wow you did take a long shot, I'm impressed!
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyThu May 14, 2009 12:44 pm

great last day bird....

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
LittleRomer

LittleRomer

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 5:45 pm

good job ernie wish i could have went with you and dad
Back to top Go down
BowBo

BowBo

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Thanks little man!

Your dad helped put BOTH of us on some good birds this year!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Very Happy cheers nothing better than to be there when you both put the smack down
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 10:28 am

Very nice bird man congrats to you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)   LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics) Empty

Back to top Go down

LAST DAY LONGBEARD! (pics)
Page 1 of 1