Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Filming question

Go down 
+3
Robert
Dave
mathewsguy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

Filming question Empty
PostSubject: Filming question   Filming question EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 9:48 am

Hey guys I have a question for the guys that have filmed hunts. When hanging stands for filming how much higher do you want the camera man stand and also How high do you put your camera arm above the hunter. Any info on filming hunts will be great. I will be doing some homework about the post mike put on the other day.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

Filming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filming question   Filming question EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Great question... I am not going to try to takle that one as I am very intersted in the answers from a skilled veteran...
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

Filming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filming question   Filming question EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 am

Me to kinda hoping Mike responds to this one I know he has the answers
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

Filming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filming question   Filming question EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:07 am

I'm not a pro but I've been filming for about 3 years now. It's not really an easy question to answer to be honest. Depends on the set up and where the deer might come from. If you know they are only going to come from in front of you then you can actually put the camera guy at the same height as you but most of the time you'll want them a little higher. It also depends on if you are in the same tree or not. If you are in side by side tree's then you should go around 3 to 4 feet above for the camera guy. If in the same tree then you'll need to look at shot angles and such. If the deer comes from the camera side you'll need clearance for a shot so 4 to 6 feet but probably closer to 6 feet so you can shoot under their stand if you need to. If in the same tree then I like being 6 feet higher and on the side of the tree. Sometimes on bigger tree's being on the back side is a bad idea. So being on the side of the tree usually gets you all the shots you need.

As far as a camera arm then that will depend on if you are self filming or not. If self filming then I set the arm about shoulder height if I'm sitting down. This makes it comfortable for me while sitting but still gets it high enough for me to use while standing. Just remember you might have to make adjustments in the camera after you stand up to shoot.
If you have a camera man and he is using an arm then he should have that arm about chest high so he can comfortably move it without moving any other part of his body. I do know that some guys will use a should mount for more freedom. I've not tried this and actually still think a arm is the best way to go.
On either one movement is the key. You want to have everything set up so that you do as little movement as possible. If you are having to fumble around the deer will see you as sure as the sun is up.
There will be mistakes and missed shots as that's all part of learning and you'll kick yourself for dumb errors. We've all done it. Just like in archery shooting, there is no substitute for practice and experience. Those are the two biggest things you can do to make for better film. And as far as an arm I'd get the best one you can afford. Muddy makes an affordable arm that will work on about any camera most of us can afford. It's probably the best one for the least weight you can get. Also give yourself some extra time. You might need 15 extra minutes to get everything set up and ready to go. Plus there are two of you now with double the noise and scent. If I'm on camera I prefer to be in stand 20 to 30 minutes earlier so that I can hook everything up and do a few test before it's deer time. Once it's first light you need to be up and running and ready to go.

I hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

Filming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filming question   Filming question EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:10 am

Wow, thats a great and informative reply, Robert. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

Filming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filming question   Filming question EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:18 am

Very good info Robert that is what I was wanting to know. great info for all of us new guys trying to film our hunts

Last edited by mathewsguy on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

Filming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filming question   Filming question EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks for the info Robert...
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

Filming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filming question   Filming question EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 6:58 pm

Yeah what Robert said Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

Filming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filming question   Filming question EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 9:20 am

Generally you would want the camera man behind you and slightly higher. Camera man stand base about hunters waist. There are many different options though depending on the scenario.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

Filming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filming question   Filming question EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 9:29 am

Thanks for the info guys. the main stand i was wondering about will be on the foodplot I posted pics of. the deer normally come out in the same spot all the time. the info you guys gave is great it will help alot
Back to top Go down
bowhunter1977

Filming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filming question   Filming question EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 7:23 am

Good info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Filming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Filming question   Filming question Empty

Back to top Go down

Filming question
Page 1 of 1