Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Hunting Plot

Go down 
+4
LawCoBowhunter
mathewsguy
TheRomer
littleslink
8 posters
AuthorMessage
littleslink

littleslink

Hunting Plot Empty
PostSubject: Hunting Plot   Hunting Plot EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 11:29 pm

I started a hunting plot tonight. I went down camp with a weedeater to try and clear out some of the ferns and other weeds. I got about half way done and ran out of line. Neutral

I'll have to finish up with the weed eating later this week. I'll spray some round up this weekend, give that about two weeks, and the plow up the soil. I'll try and get some pics...
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

Hunting Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Plot   Hunting Plot EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 11:37 pm

sounds good cant wait to see it
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

Hunting Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Plot   Hunting Plot EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:09 am

very cool man cant wait to see it when you get it done
Back to top Go down
LawCoBowhunter

LawCoBowhunter

Hunting Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Plot   Hunting Plot EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:21 am

Sounds good,can't wait to see how it turns out...
Back to top Go down
MRA

MRA

Hunting Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Plot   Hunting Plot EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:25 am

Sounds awesome man, sounds like your doing the right thing to get rid of all that vegitation and get it killed out before you plant your seed. One thing for next year you might try is a cover crop. You could plant soybeans or oatts or buckwheat till the time comes you want to plant your seed for the fall hunting plot. You will get two things accomplished then, you will control the weeds and you will give the deer something to eat all year. Just giving you advice to make it easier on you next year so you dont have to go through all that weed eater string Very Happy . What are you planting for your hunting plot? ill be watching for pictures.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

Hunting Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Plot   Hunting Plot EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:39 am

Good thinking, Jeremy... some good advice.
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

Hunting Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Plot   Hunting Plot EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:59 am

MRA wrote:
Sounds awesome man, sounds like your doing the right thing to get rid of all that vegitation and get it killed out before you plant your seed. One thing for next year you might try is a cover crop. You could plant soybeans or oatts or buckwheat till the time comes you want to plant your seed for the fall hunting plot. You will get two things accomplished then, you will control the weeds and you will give the deer something to eat all year. Just giving you advice to make it easier on you next year so you dont have to go through all that weed eater string Very Happy . What are you planting for your hunting plot? ill be watching for pictures.

I am getting some Antler King Minimax as well as an Antler King Starter Kit. I also have some Imperial Whitetail Institute Alfalfa mix, some Evolved Harest clover.

It's only abut 1/4 acre, and I'm not exaclty sure what I am going to plant. I was going to plant mostly Minimax and Alphalpha, and the plant a few patches of the other stuff just to see how it works in this area...
Back to top Go down
MRA

MRA

Hunting Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Plot   Hunting Plot EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 12:10 pm

Nothing wrong with experimenting for your first time, thats what i did, heck i still plant several kinds of mixes beside eachother to see which one works best. If your planting antler king products the deer will do well on them. I could tell you what I plant that works best here but may not work the same there, all id like to stress you do is add some fertilizer on that stuff. I put in DELTAG seed coat to get the roots deep right away and get the plant off to a good start, then after the plants are about 2 or 3 inches tall spray antler King Plot Max on it. You will get a much better stand by fall that will stand a better chance of making it through the Winter. If you dont put the seed coat on or the firtilizer the deer will pull the plants right out of the ground and ruin your stand. Now with the Minimax not all the plants are preannuals so by next spring it will just be a clover plot. Id go ahead and do some experimenting like you said so you can decide for yourself what works best in your area.
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

Hunting Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Plot   Hunting Plot EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 12:56 pm

MRA wrote:
Nothing wrong with experimenting for your first time, thats what i did, heck i still plant several kinds of mixes beside eachother to see which one works best. If your planting antler king products the deer will do well on them. I could tell you what I plant that works best here but may not work the same there, all id like to stress you do is add some fertilizer on that stuff. I put in DELTAG seed coat to get the roots deep right away and get the plant off to a good start, then after the plants are about 2 or 3 inches tall spray antler King Plot Max on it. You will get a much better stand by fall that will stand a better chance of making it through the Winter. If you dont put the seed coat on or the firtilizer the deer will pull the plants right out of the ground and ruin your stand. Now with the Minimax not all the plants are preannuals so by next spring it will just be a clover plot. Id go ahead and do some experimenting like you said so you can decide for yourself what works best in your area.

Thanks. I put some fertilizer and lime down in the spring, but all that did was make the ferns and the weeds grow better. I will throw some more of each down. Also, thanks for the heads up on the seed coat. I just picked up a bag online.

I was hopeing to plant mostly perrenials and then just do some overseeding with the annuals. Do you have any sucess with that, or do you start all over and plow up fresh dirt each year for the annuals?
Back to top Go down
MRA

MRA

Hunting Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Plot   Hunting Plot EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 1:09 pm

I have never tried to overseed without working the ground. It probably all depends on the seed type. If your gonna throw some brassica or turnip seed around im sure that would work but if it were soybeans or something it will need the good seed bed and worked up. Another thing with the preannuals is you will have to mow them down 4 to 5 times a year. The deer only like to eat then when the plant is just starting to grow. By mowing the clover down it will also keep the weeds out.

With my personal success I have found that the preannuals serve as a good nutritional plot for nutrients for the deer. the hunting plot to me is a good annual that will attract the deer. Dont get m e wrong the clover and other preannuals will attract the deer but if you plant oats, turnips, or brassicas, and theres many more good items to plant like those. But if you plant them the deer will go in and mow them off until they are gone.

With this being your first year id do what you said your gonna do and use some experimenting. the Antler King Minimax will serve as a good hunting plot for this year with the other annuals mixed in with it. Good luck with everything.
Back to top Go down
Early Morning Gobble

Early Morning Gobble

Hunting Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Plot   Hunting Plot EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 1:39 pm

If you want some help let me know...help as in working, clearing and planting
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

Hunting Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Plot   Hunting Plot EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 9:18 am

Looking forward to the pics.