Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Thumb trigger release

Go down 
+6
The Guide
botzitaliano
Camoed Assassin
mathewsguy
30pointbuck
dmedd
10 posters
AuthorMessage
dmedd

dmedd

Thumb trigger release Empty
PostSubject: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Hey guys,how many of you use a thumb trigger release for hunting? I've used a thumb trigger for years for 3D but I've never hunted with one. My plan for this year is to shoot the thumb release. I've got a Stan 3 finger and a Carter 3 finger that I'm going to use. I've found recently that when I'm using my wrist strap index finger release,I'm constantly having to battle target panic. When I pick up my thumb release it forces me to aim and forget about pulling the trigger. Basically I'll be hunting using the backtension method. I'm also going to a single pin slider sight to clean up my sight picture.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:01 pm

You know actually, I tried one for the first time ever. I just could not get use to it. The thing slipped out of my hand at release, hit the roller's on the roller guard and tore them up. Needless to say, i got rid of it. I will stay with the TRU BALL Tornado,my primary release. And the TRU BALL Stinger as my back up. Will never change again.
Back to top Go down
dmedd

dmedd

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:13 pm

30pointbuck wrote:
You know actually, I tried one for the first time ever. I just could not get use to it. The thing slipped out of my hand at release, hit the roller's on the roller guard and tore them up. Needless to say, i got rid of it. I will stay with the TRU BALL Tornado,my primary release. And the TRU BALL Stinger as my back up. Will never change again.

Funny you should say that. We were at the ASA shoot in Augusta,GA about 3 years ago and one of my friends from Alabama actually had his thumb release slip out of his hand. It went all the way through his scope and totally destroyed it.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:15 pm

I started using a Tru ball pro diamond extreme this year and i will never shoot anything else but a thumb release. I shoot alot better groups with it. I used it this year for hunting and loved it.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:16 pm

That's exactally what happened with me. It destroyed the roller's. Sounded like a gun going off.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:51 pm

I used to use one, but switched to a wrist strap index finger trigger one last year. No good reason to switch up I just did. Shot all season last year with my new release then I lost it the last 2 weeks of the season so I used TG's thumb release for the last couple of hunts. I shot fine with the thumb release at a target then when it was time to shoot at deer i was punching it BAD. I missed 3 deer the last 2 hunts with it. When I shot all the time with a thumb release I had no problems when shooting at deer but when it was time to shoot at a deer target panic kicked in and you can punch one of those worse than a wrist strap one. I also switched up to a single pin sight and I love that thing. I was just going to use it to turkey hunt but loved not looking at 4-5 other pins. I thought it might be an issue if a deer came in quickly but with how fast bows are I just range all possible sots and set it at the average. If I have time, which I usually do, I will adjust it.
Back to top Go down
botzitaliano

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 11:11 pm

i use the tru ball sweet spot 2 ultra 3 with wrist strap, its the perfect hunting release because it has a safety. i switched about three years ago due to target panic as well. i dont think ill ever go back to a trigger release. i found myself now to be more consistantly accurate with backtension, than i ever did with the trigger release.
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 9:35 am

Me personally I will probably always use a thumb release. Keeps my hands free while hunting and I don't feel the need to PULL the trigger. It helped with target panic a little but when a big whitetail steps out I don't care what you use buck fever will always set in and so will target panic. I think it is just what you feel comfortable with and shoot the best while on the range. You have to be confindent with your equipment while on stand and the only way to do that is to comfortable while on the range.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 9:42 am

Well put,
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 10:57 am

After years of shooting a wrist strap release I found myself jerking the thumb release and could never shoot it with the accuracy of my wrist strap. with practice you can shoot your wrist strap release with basically the same form and mechanics of a "back tension" release. Like it has been said before you have to shoot what feels most comfortable for you, not what looks the coolest or the majority of the guys at the 3D range shoot.
Back to top Go down
countryboy

countryboy

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:03 am

Never actually tried one of them and just use a cobra. Notice though that ya do have alot of pull and ya get a lil anxious to shoot with the index finger. Takes alotof pratice to get ursefl calm and collective but practice always makes perfect!!
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 11:15 am

I have shot the thumb releases before while practicing, but did not like it at all. I quickly went back to the wrist strap. Just me.
Back to top Go down
dmedd

dmedd

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Thanks for all of the good replies and opinions guys. When I was shooting my wriststrap release in competition I could always shoot it with backtension. It just seems that when I'm shooting at a deer I want to get punchy. I'm going to give my thumb trigger the benefit of the doubt and use it all season. I've never felt punchy with it at all. I just lay my thumb on the trigger and pull with my back muscles until it goes off. Maybe this will work out. If not I'll just go back to the wriststrap and deal with it. I think the single pin sight will be a big help also.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Same here. I have used the wrist strap release all my bow hunting life. Just couldn't get use to anything else.
Back to top Go down
bcbow1971

bcbow1971

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 10:08 am

Truball pro diamond is good for hunting!!
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 10:13 am

bcbow1971 wrote:
Truball pro diamond is good for hunting!!

This is true!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thumb trigger release   Thumb trigger release Empty

Back to top Go down

Thumb trigger release
Page 1 of 1