Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Strange

Go down 
+7
TheRomer
mathewsguy
Robert
The Guide
Camoed Assassin
30pointbuck
volway
11 posters
AuthorMessage
volway

volway

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 11:52 am

Went to one of our Ky farms Sat to put some feed out and check cams. We know we aren't going to be getting any pics of big deer with horns cause they have dropped them by now, BUT we did get a pic of a small 6 pt on Feb14 that still has his horns, we thought it was strange for him to still have his head gear in the middle of Feb? Will post pic after I get them downloaded. Also found a couple small sheds,all in all had a good time just being in the woods.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 12:01 pm

That is strange, But cool. Can't wait to see the picts.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 12:05 pm

All the snow is finally melting here so hopefully we can get out next weekend and find a few sheds to. It looks like we will be taking stands down finally to.
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Thats cool. It does seem strange but I have seen them with hard horns in April in Neb. I quess each buck is different.
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm not a deer biology expert at all but I know that there is a chemical that forms on the base of the antler that allows the deer to shed them. Some deer struggle for various reasons to get this chemical to form and that's why the will shed super late. There are even cases where it doesn't form at all and the deer will carry the old set into the next growing season. It's just one of those weird things that mother nature has going on.
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Robert wrote:
I'm not a deer biology expert at all but I know that there is a chemical that forms on the base of the antler that allows the deer to shed them. Some deer struggle for various reasons to get this chemical to form and that's why the will shed super late. There are even cases where it doesn't form at all and the deer will carry the old set into the next growing season. It's just one of those weird things that mother nature has going on.
yeah that's why we decided to leave that cam, we want to see how long he carry's them.
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 12:32 pm

That was awesome info. Robert. I for one did not know that. I actually thought they dried up and just fell off. lol Show's ya how much i know. lol
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 12:35 pm

30pointbuck wrote:
That was awesome info. Robert. I for one did not know that. I actually thought they dried up and just fell off. lol Show's ya how much i know. lol

Hey not a week goes by that I learn just how little I know about deer and hunting. You'd think after 28 years of hunting them that I'd know more but it always happens that I learn a million new things every year. I guess that's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 12:42 pm

X2 On that. Just when you think you have it, Mother Nature alway's show's you something different.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Im with Robert I also know that sometimes if they have a injury it will also effect them. I had a friend kill a buck that was in velvet during our gun season. The DEC said the deer had a injury to his boy parts that affected his hormones and that caused him never to shed the velvet of his antlers. They never got hard underneath
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 3:01 pm

I picked my mom up at the airport yesterday and on the way home we saw 5 deer running across the field and one of them still had both sides on his head. nothong big but a could see them up there
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 4:37 pm

I've seen bucks here in IN with antlers up until April before

and last spring in Louisville,KY (in the city limits) I saw a 140+ buck still sportin' his rack in April

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks for the update and I know a lot of deer around here are still carrying.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Must be the Indiana deer, they just dont want to let go
Back to top Go down
30pointbuck

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 5:03 pm

I have a smaller buck at my feeder that still has both his head gear.
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 4:30 pm

I read it can really effect next years antlers also. If they lose them late they have less time to grow a nicer set the next year. There was just a question about this in a recent issue of some mag I subscribe to.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 8:51 pm

oregonzach wrote:
I read it can really effect next years antlers also. If they lose them late they have less time to grow a nicer set the next year. There was just a question about this in a recent issue of some mag I subscribe to.

Saw the same article.
Back to top Go down
OutdoorEaly

OutdoorEaly

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 4:43 pm

I don't the actual name of the process in which the antler base breaks down right now but I have read that it is the fastest process of deterioration in nature. It's amazing the stuff we cant explain in this world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange   Strange Empty

Back to top Go down

Strange
Page 1 of 1