Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho

Go down 
+4
Snivs
mathewsguy
TheRomer
recon33alpha
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
recon33alpha

recon33alpha

Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho Empty
PostSubject: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 3:13 pm

When access is limited, meaning to get to the timber, but have to go between an alfalfa field and corn field, how do suggest doing it in the morning. There are some dried up (for now) creek bottoms that will take me to potential stand sites, and this may be the answer, but travel time will be long...... Early achery afternoon hunts won't be a problem, its the mornings I'm worry about. I'll put some pics of the property on here soon.
Back to top Go down
recon33alpha

recon33alpha

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 3:17 pm

To add to this post..... there are plenty of row crops, apple orchards, alfalfa fields and mast crops around. the woods is mostly creek bottoms and patchy wood lots,,but the property is out in the middle of know where, meaning not a house or built up area with in miles. In Fountain County for you Indiana Guy's. Haven't scouted a whole lot, property owner showed me the jist of the 3 farms, but hoping to get back out there next week. I guess pics would help.
Back to top Go down
recon33alpha

recon33alpha

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 3:29 pm

A couple things.....nevermind the middle yellow line, all yellow boundary is the property #1. Also, in the upper RH corner is some more yellow, that is part two to come later.......

WHERE WOULD YOU SET YOUR STAND, WHY, AND HOW WOULD YOU GET THERE IN THE MORNING.

Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho Ffp
Back to top Go down
recon33alpha

recon33alpha

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 3:32 pm

FYI, the tan is corn, and the green is either alfalfa, or over grown native fields. Most of the woods is bottoms(hard to tell topo from this view), with the exception of the 30 acres by the larger creek, lower right of the pic.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 8:48 pm

I see alot of good stand spots. where will you be comeing in from?

With the corn still up I think id sneak in on the edge of the corn fields in the morning. id think they will be in the Alfalfa fields.

Id have morning stands and then id have eve stands. that is some good looking property
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 9:07 pm

I agree with Romer use the corn as cover when going to your stand.
Back to top Go down
Snivs

Snivs

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 9:55 pm

I agree with with Romer also. A big key is where you are accessing the property and if there is more then one access point so you could play the wind. To me the distance I have to walk to a stand location does not matter. You just need to plan for the extra time to get there. Good luck with the property.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 10:23 pm

I don't know where to start. There are plenty of pinch points and some great looking inside corners. It looks like you can cover just about any wind direction also. The biggest ? is like the rest said where would you be accessing the property from?
Back to top Go down
recon33alpha

recon33alpha

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 4:46 pm

I can access along the corn, pretty much anywhere from the road. I'll update the pic with a little more info.
Back to top Go down
recon33alpha

recon33alpha

PostSubject: edited   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 5:17 pm

e

Last edited by recon33alpha on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited, standby)
Back to top Go down
recon33alpha

recon33alpha

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 5:26 pm

Same Property, diff angle, more info
Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho Fmf2pic

Farm2
Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho Prop2pic

Farm3
Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho Prop3pic
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 7:28 pm

One place I'd check for sure is follow that tractor trail up to the pinch point between the alfalfa and corn just to the left of the trail. I see several good stand spots but you definately don't wanna bump them from the fields in the morning
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 8:51 pm

This is one of the things i hate about new properties. They all look like good pieces of property. The one thing I would do is just hunt the evening to figure out what they are doing before you start going in while it is dark. With all of the standing corn it should be easy as long as you stay away from the alfalfa fields. It could take a year or two to figure it out. I would do as much trail camera work and scouting as I possably could and try to secure the lease for a few more years so you can take your time to figure it all out. Good luck with them, I am sure they will produce because they look awesome according to the maps.
Back to top Go down
Snivs

Snivs

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 pm

I agree with Robert. That's a great pinch point between the 2 fields. I would also use any water ways or watering holes in my stand placement along with knowing where the acorns are dropping. Put all these factors together to pick that right location. Good Luck with your property. It looks like a great piece.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 9:06 pm

You're getting some great advice... Best of luck to you!
Back to top Go down
recon33alpha

recon33alpha

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks guys, I agree with all input. Especially hunting in the evenings @ first to figure them out. Maybe the corn will come out early and I can glass from the road, prior to season. Landowner thinks that some of it will be picked by mid Sept, but I guess that depends on the weather. The stalks are yellow and ears are hanging down. I'm going out tomorrow for a more in depth scouting trip.

BTW this is not leased property. I found out about this property from a Family member. The landowners quote to me, because I did offer to help around the farms for letting me hunt, then the conversation went to everyone wanting money for ppl to hunt..........." I'll be hard up before I ask for money for someone to hunt the land, the good lord provided, I might own it, but I shouldn't be the only one that prospers off of it" I was floored, you just don't hear that type of talk much anymore.

Thanks for all the advice and happy hunting to everyone,,,,,,,is opening day here yet??
Back to top Go down
The Guide

The Guide

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 3:10 pm

You dont hear that to much any more. Sounds like you are going to have it for a while so be patient. Good luck this year.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 9:02 pm

Good luck recon. Let me know if you need any help figuring them deer out Laughing
Back to top Go down
Snivs

Snivs

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 9:21 pm

Sounds good Recon. You don't find people like that around anymore. You are very fortunate. Good luck to you this season.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 9:48 pm

Dang Corey, how many acrea alltogether is there? that looks like some sweet property dont look like youll have any prob getting deer out there
Back to top Go down
recon33alpha

recon33alpha

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Went out today for a 4 hour scouting trip..Didn't see any deer, but man, the old rubs, and tracks were everywhere. Heavy, heavy trails, looked like dirt bikes went thru there in some spots. With all the corn up and the under brush so thick it would have been hard to see any bumped deer. Place looks great and I'm probably as excited for hunting season as I've been in awhile. I'm working on some rules for this property for myself and others that may accompany me there.....Per the request of the landowner, DOES NOT JUST BUCKS NEED TO BE TAKEN.....The last person who hunted it (He passed away over the summer) would not take does, just bucks, so that will explain one of the rules.

1. each person must take a Doe, before taking a Buck
2. For right now, until I learn the potential, thru trail cams and sightings,,,,only 130 + bucks will be allowed to be taken on this Farm.
3. I ask that everyone who hunts, take notes on what they see and a brief explanation of, time of day, weather, sex, and activity of the deer. Also any Turkey sightings.

I've never had hunting property, that I was the only one with permission to hunt,,,,so I'm trying to "manage it" for the future. Obviously food plots are taken care of, now its just trying to figure out the potential it has.
Back to top Go down
recon33alpha

recon33alpha

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 9:58 pm

TheRomer wrote:
Dang Corey, how many acrea alltogether is there? that looks like some sweet property dont look like youll have any prob getting deer out there

Between the 3 farms, I'm guessing, close to 400 acres, but that is not all woods obviously.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Recon that sounds like a good management plan. Can't wait to see what you drag out of there man good luck. When are you going to get some cameras up?
Back to top Go down
recon33alpha

recon33alpha

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Camoed Assassin wrote:
Recon that sounds like a good management plan. Can't wait to see what you drag out of there man good luck. When are you going to get some cameras up?

I wish I had some cameras...I've been pretty much unemployed since returning from Iraq in 08, and my last camera was stolen, soooo right now, it will all be based on sightings. I start a new full time job on Monday, so I may be able to get a couple by October. This property is a good hour drive, so checking the cams will be tough.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:12 pm

Congrats on the new job....I guess. I probablly would've held off till after the season Very Happy . And a BIG THANKS to you and the others who put their lives on the line for freedom. Hope everything works out for ya man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho   Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho Empty

Back to top Go down

Picked up some more ground, ?????'s tho
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next