Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

How to mount a turkey fan

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
oregonzach

oregonzach

How to mount a turkey fan Empty
PostSubject: How to mount a turkey fan   How to mount a turkey fan EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 10:20 pm

Well guys, I prepared my 2nd turkey fan today and thought I'd take some pics along the way to show how I did it. I'm sure many will have some tips to add, I'm pretty far from an expert, but it works. Here's how I did it:

I started by cutting away the big pieces of meat and fat on the front of the fan.
How to mount a turkey fan SANY0002-2

I flipped the fan around, and cut away the extra feathers and big hunks of fat and meat
How to mount a turkey fan SANY0004-3

I then begin cutting off the meat that is layered over the base of the fan
How to mount a turkey fan SANY0005

Make sure to cut out the tip of the tailbone that is attached to the base of the fan
How to mount a turkey fan SANY0006

holding the knife at an angle to the quills, scrape away all remaining pieces of fat and meat.
The right side is almost done!
How to mount a turkey fan SANY0007

Once ALL fat and meat has been scraped off, arrange the fan on a piece of cardboard and
hold it in place with pushpins. Pile salt on, allow to set for several days, and shake the salt off.
Pour borax on, give it several more days to cure, and your ready to mount it!
I also cut the beard off and scrape all flesh off, and put the base in the salt/borax to cure.
How to mount a turkey fan SANY0008
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: How to mount a turkey fan   How to mount a turkey fan EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 10:32 pm

Looks pretty good Zach. Nice work.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: How to mount a turkey fan   How to mount a turkey fan EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 10:53 pm

Looks good zach Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: How to mount a turkey fan   How to mount a turkey fan EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 8:42 am

Great pictures and info. Thanks for taking the time to post all that... Hopefully, I will try that myself soon this season. Very good info!
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: How to mount a turkey fan   How to mount a turkey fan EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 10:32 am

Nicely done my friend. I'll be giving that a go starting tonight with one of mine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to mount a turkey fan   How to mount a turkey fan Empty

Back to top Go down

How to mount a turkey fan
Page 1 of 1