Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Home made Minerial site

Go down 
+11
mathewsguy
LawCoBowhunter
Traviup
MRA
littleslink
Dave
TheRomer
Tall Tine
Robert
Joe
Mark
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mark

Mark

Home made Minerial site Empty
PostSubject: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySun May 24, 2009 10:35 pm

OK here’s what I did…… went to the local CO-OP or feed store

2 bags of Trace mineral, 1 bag of Stock salt, 1 bag of Di-calcium Phosphate (or a phosphate product) I have another bag of Di-Calcium with a higher % of Phosphate coming in.

Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $25.00 you'll need one bag.
Home made Minerial site DSC03632

Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without medications.
Comes in 50lbs. Bags at around $7.00 you'll need two bags.
Home made Minerial site DSC03634

Stock salt,Comes in 50lbs. Bags at around $7.00 you'll need one bag.
Home made Minerial site DSC03633

I have about 200 pounds for about $50.00

Mix it as you need it……I used about 8 pounds of Trace mineral, 4 pounds of Stock Salt, and 4 pounds of Di-Calcium Phosphate. I mixed it all together, put it in a bucket and took it out the woods.

clear the leaves out of the way.......and dump it
Home made Minerial site DSC03645

I put up a couple of trail cameras on the minerals will see what happens

Home made Minerial site DSC03640

I made 2 different sites with the 16 pound bucket......I'll refresh it in about 2-3 weeks.

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySun May 24, 2009 10:43 pm

Can't wait to see the pics Mark.
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySun May 24, 2009 10:49 pm

That turned out really well. Let me know how it goes
Back to top Go down
Tall Tine

Tall Tine

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySun May 24, 2009 10:53 pm

Very nice, Can't wait to see the results.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySun May 24, 2009 11:21 pm

I need to do that, thanks mark
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptyMon May 25, 2009 12:24 am

Good post Mark, thanks for the info. Hope you get some good pics!
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySun May 31, 2009 8:27 pm

Let us know how it goes. $.25 per pound for a homemade mineral licks sounds a lot better than the $1.00 per pound for Deer Cane or some other commercial premix.
Back to top Go down
MRA

MRA

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 1:19 pm

Mark, I have used that stuff here on our land in Kansas the past few years and the deer tear it up. Its definetly alot cheaper as well.
Back to top Go down
Traviup

Traviup

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptyThu Jun 04, 2009 10:28 am

Littleslink did you find this stuff anywhere in town yet? I think i am going to make one sat morning if i can find the stuff.

what type of trail cam do you have?
Back to top Go down
LawCoBowhunter

LawCoBowhunter

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 10:20 pm

Thanks for posting that,may have to give it a try this year...
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 11:08 pm

Any Pics yet Mark or have been back to check them?
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 7:09 am

I plan on going out this weekend.

I think I'll put out a couple of more sites as well.....help them antlers......and the momma's & fawn's grow!!!

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Sounds good Mark looking forward to seeing what you get off it.

I was at Rual King today and they have everything. so know i know for sure where to get it.
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 6:31 pm

I got most of my stuff at Rural King....by my local Co-Op have a higher % of Di-Cal Phosphate
So I bought some of that too.

Plan to go out tomorrow AM and pull cards and take photos

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 7:37 pm

Mark wrote:
I got most of my stuff at Rural King....by my local Co-Op have a higher % of Di-Cal Phosphate
So I bought some of that too.

Plan to go out tomorrow AM and pull cards and take photos

Can't wait to see the pics you have...
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Dennis recommends sprinking a few ounces of imitation vanilla over the minerals when making a mineral site. I am going to try this tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 11:01 pm

Dave wrote:
Dennis recommends sprinking a few ounces of imitation vanilla over the minerals when making a mineral site. I am going to try this tomorrow...

WE did that last year with our corn, dont know if it helped or not but it sure didnt hurt anything
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySun Jun 07, 2009 10:53 am

Today I went to check the mineral sites I had put out… They look to have been a little slow getting started.

I only had one doe, several squirrels and a couple of raccoons come to check it out.
This time I added a little corn this time. Hoping to get a few more coming into the area. I also refreshed the mineral.

I plan to go farther back into the woods and put off some mineral I think that will help get more deer using it too......I just need to do it Suspect

Home made Minerial site Th_MDGC0009

Home made Minerial site MDGC0010

1st site
Home made Minerial site DSC03699

second site
Home made Minerial site DSC03691

Home made Minerial site DSC03645

Home made Minerial site DSC03695

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySun Jun 07, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks for the update mark,im sure it will take a little time for them to find it.

Im going to get the stuff and try it out behind my house.
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySun Jun 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Traviup wrote:
Littleslink did you find this stuff anywhere in town yet? I think i am going to make one sat morning if i can find the stuff.

I can't find it anywhere. I checked Wal Mart, Tractor Supply, and all of the Feed and Game stores around, but I can't find it. So I recently bought a couple of bags off of Cabela's. Sucks that you have to pay the shipping though.

As for the trail cameras, I have 4 Moultrie Game Spy I40's.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:06 pm

Im going to try out your blend this weekend just talked to my buddy and we are going to put some spots in on our hunting grounds. thanks for the helpful info on minerals
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 9:13 pm

littleslink wrote:
Traviup wrote:

I can't find it anywhere. I checked Wal Mart, Tractor Supply, and all of the Feed and Game stores around, but I can't find it. So I recently bought a couple of bags off of Cabela's. Sucks that you have to pay the shipping though.

you couldnt find any of the items??? Tractor supply should carry it......it's all livestock products.

or any farm supply type place should

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Back to top Go down
THE BULL

THE BULL

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 10:19 pm

i will be buyin this stuff this weekend
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 10:23 pm

I know my tractor supply has all this stuff I looked for it the other day
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 10:36 pm

Mark wrote:
littleslink wrote:
Traviup wrote:

you couldnt find any of the items??? Tractor supply should carry it......it's all livestock products.

or any farm supply type place should

I was talking about the pre-mixed minerals (ie: Deer Cane). They have all of the seperate ingredients. You need something in your mix to attract the deer. The Deer Cane smells like candy, I almost want to lick the bag after I dump it out. Did you try the vanilla? How did that work?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Home made Minerial site   Home made Minerial site Empty

Back to top Go down

Home made Minerial site
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next