Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Ground or stand hunting

Go down 
+13
Adam
Darius
MOOSE
Jody
littleslink
TheRomer
Robert
Mark
Joe
volway
LawCoBowhunter
Dave
mathewsguy
17 posters
AuthorMessage
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

Ground or stand hunting Empty
PostSubject: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Ok guys just wondering how many guys prefer to hunt on the ground and how many guys prefer to bow hunt from a stand. I personally like to do both.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Took my first deer with a bow from the ground... but definately like to hunt from a stand. It gives you many advantages. I like to be about 25-30 feet up in my climber. I have an automatic bow rope that goes out to 30 feet and I usually max it out and then some.
Back to top Go down
LawCoBowhunter

LawCoBowhunter

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 1:13 pm

I like to do both also...Just depends on how windy it is and the type of terrain I'm hunting...I will say I hunt from a stand 95% of the time though...I have a couple spots I love to hunt on the ground...It's a crp field and no trees close enough to hang a stand...I'll get about 10 yards back off the field edge and flatten out a 4'-5' diamter to put my hunting chair and have enough room to lay some gear down without making a lot of noise or movement....Nothing like having deer on your lap....
Back to top Go down
volway

volway

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 4:02 pm

Stand for sure,Guess it really depends on the terrain.
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 4:33 pm

I hunt out of blinds occasionally but I would much rather hunt 20 feet up.
Back to top Go down
Mark

Mark

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 5:00 pm

I love my stands for deer......an Ameristep ground blind when I need to take cover on the ground.

and of course an Ameristep blind for the big ol' longbeards

Publications Director

Moultrie Pro Staff

Measurer Pope & Young,Hoosier Record Buck Program

Antlertalk.com -------- http://antlertalk.com/forums/index.htm
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 8:22 pm

Mark wrote:
I love my stands for deer......an Ameristep ground blind when I need to take cover on the ground.

and of course an Ameristep blind for the big ol' longbeards

hear you on the binds for turkey
Back to top Go down
Robert

Robert

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 9:04 pm

20 feet up is my office
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 9:55 pm

I am more of a stand hunter myself as well but I have a few spots that are in the apple trees and have no choice but hunt the ground its fun being eye level with them.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 10:51 pm

I used to hunt the ground all the time. the last 10 years is when i started useing a stand. and i prefer a stand, but it looks like ill be on the ground alot this year
Back to top Go down
littleslink

littleslink

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 11:05 pm

I hunt in a stand 99 percent of the time when I archery hunt. It gives you a little more freedom of movement and a little bit better scent control, especially in the morning. I hunt in PA, where there is always a tree close by to climb, the higher the better...
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 11:16 pm

As much as it is natural to climb a tree for bowhunting, it is more of an adrenaline rush off the ground for me. I have killed two deer (1 buck, 1 doe) over the years off the ground and I plan to keep trying when the situation is right. Cool post.
Back to top Go down
MOOSE

MOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 8:43 pm

I hunted from a blind a lot this year because that is really all I can use on my personal land.... It's great when that's all you can do but I do prefer hunting from a stand.
Back to top Go down
Darius

Darius

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 8:47 am

I agree with Jody, it is a crazy adrenaline rush to shoot one from the ground. I perfer a stand and use the ground as a last minute resort, but I have shot 2 from the ground also and theres nothing like it.
Back to top Go down
Adam

Adam

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 10:41 am

I just love being 20 to 30 odd feet up in the air. It is just super fun for me!
Back to top Go down
THE BULL

THE BULL

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 1:50 pm

i like them both but you cant beat a good stock and spot...killed 2 doe last season spottin and stalkin...that is such a rush...we wont mention how many i missed lol but put some meat in the freezer
Back to top Go down
Early Morning Gobble

Early Morning Gobble

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 4:17 pm

I do hunt from both, but i prefer to hunt from a treestand.
Back to top Go down
Godfather

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 1:18 am

I've never taken a deer with my bow from the ground, yet.
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 9:49 am

I've shot deer from the ground gun hunting, but I havn't been able to close the deal on a whitetail from the ground with a bow. I have been busted a few times on the ground by bucks, now I like to stay up in the air while bowhunting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ground or stand hunting   Ground or stand hunting Empty

Back to top Go down

Ground or stand hunting
Page 1 of 1