Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

Food plots

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tall Tine

Tall Tine

Food plots Empty
PostSubject: Food plots   Food plots EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Do you plant food plots and what has worked the best for you?
Back to top Go down
Jody

Jody

Food plots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food plots   Food plots EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 4:13 pm

I have crappy, sandy soil that is exposed to sunlight all day so turnip type mixtures have worked best for me.
Back to top Go down
RattleSnake

RattleSnake

Food plots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food plots   Food plots EmptyWed May 13, 2009 12:58 am

Jody makes an excellent point by mentioning the type of soil he has TT. Other than the type of soil you're working with, you will also want to look at what you want the plot to do. If you're looking for a nutrition plot to aid in antler growth then a perennial clover/chicory mix is your best bet. If you're looking for something to hunt over and provide crucial post rut forage, then a cold weather blend including some of the following or a combination of brassicas, turnips, winter peas, winter wheat, and sugar beets. When I put in cold weather plots every year, I'll also put in an annual like oats or buckwheat to get the deer coming in during the hunting season making it what most call a hunting or SHOT plot. The deer on our farm love the turnips but we've found they hit the brassicas harder, and we've never found a sugar beet the following spring.
Jody; as far as your sandy soil goes, a friend of mine from work asked me last year what he could do for a plot with what sounds like the same kind of soil you have. I referred him to the plot mix maker I've been using for the last four years in Maxi-Rack. I told him about the SD-4 mix that is for sandy soil and is very drought tolerant which consists of sugar beets, chicory, lanelot plantain, and delar small burnet (smell like cuccumbers). He had tremendous luck with his plot and took his best deer to date off his property last year a 148" 10 point. Maxi-Rack is our official food plot seed sponsor at Michiana Backwoods Adventures and they have a wide variety of food plot mixes and seeds by the pound to suit your needs. One thing I will say is that the owner, Damon, prides himself on a zero weed seed tolerance in his mixes and refuses to use perennial rye grass as a filler in his perennial mixes just to get something green. I also believe his prices are very competitive if not better than most other blends you'll find. Check them out some time. Maxi-Rack
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Food plots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food plots   Food plots Empty

Back to top Go down

Food plots
Page 1 of 1