Whitetail Affliction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Whitetail Affliction

The Whitetail Affliction Forums

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation

Website Home

Similar topics
Lacrosse footwear
Photobucket
Carbon Express
Photobucket
Black Gold Sights
Photobucket
Nimrod Packs
Photobucket
SKB Bow and Gun Cases
Photobucket
Bohning Archery
Photobucket
G5 Broadheads
Photobucket
Scent Blocker
Photobucket

New youth hunter, make them field dress????

Go down 
+7
Dave
Camoed Assassin
TheRomer
Early Morning Gobble
mathewsguy
Joe
twodog
11 posters
AuthorMessage
twodog

twodog

New youth hunter, make them field dress???? Empty
PostSubject: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 3:00 pm

I am taking two youth hunters tomorrow and sunday. One is 14 and the other 17. Neither boy has been hunting before. Should I make them field dress a deer if they get one? I feel like its part of it and they should experience ALL of it, not just the fun part. But I dont want to scare them away from it either.
Back to top Go down
Joe

Joe

PostSubject: Re: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 3:25 pm

The first deer I killed i had to field dress it. I had someone there to show me what to do but as far as the work, that was all me. I am glad it was that way. Field dressing is part of the whole hunt. Blood trailing is the same way. Shooting the animal is the fun part of it, but no where near the whole hunt. in my opinion having them field dress it would let them understand what the whole hunt is about.
Back to top Go down
mathewsguy

mathewsguy

PostSubject: Re: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 3:33 pm

I agree totally I did my first deer. I think its all part of it as well. Ofcourse you will be right there to make sure they dont cut off a finger and tell them what to do.
Back to top Go down
Early Morning Gobble

Early Morning Gobble

PostSubject: Re: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 3:34 pm

The first deer i killed i had to field dress it. No better way to learn than to dive right in. Joe is right its definitely part of the hunt and they need to know all parts not just the fun parts. Quick story about this topic....a few yrs ago my 33 yr old buddy shot a nice eight point. His first deer/buck kill ever. As we were standing over it, he asked me what we do next. I said clean it out.... he said what do you mean clean it out...haha I ended up cleaning it out for him and showing him what to do. HAHA GI Gabe.
Back to top Go down
TheRomer

PostSubject: Re: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 4:22 pm

My dad did my first one just to show me how to do it then it was me after that.

I told the boys that i will do thier first(unless they want to) to show them how but after that they have to do it.
Back to top Go down
Camoed Assassin

Camoed Assassin

PostSubject: Re: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 6:22 pm

I did my first one. I think it completes the hunting experience. I would ask them though but try to get them to do it.
Back to top Go down
twodog

twodog

PostSubject: Re: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 6:48 pm

I am leaving it up to them, sounds like they are going to be ok with it. I had to do my first one, did not like it at all, but did it anyway. I think doing their first one for them isnt a bad idea though. Thanks for all the input, good luck to everyone going. cheers

By the way, we looked up field dressing a deer on youtube. They got to see what it looks like anyway. Might help some other people too.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 7:09 pm

Good luck to them... Just guide them through the steps and let them have at it!
Back to top Go down
LittleRomer

LittleRomer

PostSubject: Re: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2009 8:17 pm

Dad told me he would do my first one but i think ill do it and him tell me what to do Very Happy
Back to top Go down
oregonzach

oregonzach

PostSubject: Re: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 10:09 am

It is an important part BUT I wouldn't force my kid to do it the first time if they don't want to. Every kid is different and I wouldn't want to leave a bad taste in their mouth and turn them off from hunting by forcing them to do something they aren't comfortable with.
Back to top Go down
PSE32

PSE32

PostSubject: Re: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 3:14 pm

I had to do my first one also, my dad helped me out but it was a good experience. I have been hooked ever since. He joked with me and told me I had to drink some blood too for good luck lol, I never did that one though.
Back to top Go down
Darius

Darius

PostSubject: Re: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 5:02 pm

I really like to when its freezing cold out cause it warms your hands up. hahaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New youth hunter, make them field dress????   New youth hunter, make them field dress???? Empty

Back to top Go down

New youth hunter, make them field dress????
Page 1 of 1